The Student Room Group

Am I too old for IBD?

Hi guys.

I graduated this summer - 2:1 from LSE - and have belatedly realised I would quite like to work in finance (bit of a shame I didn't realise this sooner...).

Anyway my question essentially pertains to how I should go about acquiring relevant work experience for this industry as a recent graduate. Would I be best to apply for off-cycle internships? I feel it would be a waste of time applying for spring weeks/summer placements as they're so often specifically limited to 1st and 2nd years (although I suppose I could still apply in cases where this isn't explicitly specified?). I do currently have some professional work experience but it is not in finance, so I am almost starting from scratch here.

Any advice appreciated, thanks for your time :smile:

(For context I'm hoping to complete a masters in the 2017-18 academic cycle, so I essentially have until this time next year to develop my CV.)
how old are you?

p.s apply to internships
Reply 2
Original post by gr8wizard10
how old are you?

p.s apply to internships

I'm 21. The title of the thread was a bit clickbaity, not going to lie.
Original post by apt9

nah you're not too old
lol you're my age and I'm still at uni....
Original post by apt9

Loooooool some people from European countries start as analysts at 25-26, chill.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by apt9
Hi guys.

I graduated this summer - 2:1 from LSE - and have belatedly realised I would quite like to work in finance (bit of a shame I didn't realise this sooner...).

Anyway my question essentially pertains to how I should go about acquiring relevant work experience for this industry as a recent graduate. Would I be best to apply for off-cycle internships? I feel it would be a waste of time applying for spring weeks/summer placements as they're so often specifically limited to 1st and 2nd years (although I suppose I could still apply in cases where this isn't explicitly specified?). I do currently have some professional work experience but it is not in finance, so I am almost starting from scratch here.

Any advice appreciated, thanks for your time :smile:

(For context I'm hoping to complete a masters in the 2017-18 academic cycle, so I essentially have until this time next year to develop my CV.)

Network, try to get a few unofficial work shadowing things organised etc.

Not all summers are limited to a specific demographic - read the summer application thread for context.

You have a choice of biting the bullet now and applying to summer/off-cycles or waiting until next year when you have a confirmed masters place, which you would then do any off-cycle or summer internships post graduation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No you arent

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending