The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering Applicants - 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NeverLucky
I don't see why you couldnt, those sets of grades are strong. However, is there no way to ask your teachers for an A prediction in FM?

probably not, so does that mean I shouldn't apply. even though I think I can get an A
The student satisfaction is low for Edinburgh and Manchester on league tables and unistats so until now I haven't considered either when deciding on 5 the unis. Your thoughts?
Original post by mikeread
The student satisfaction is low for Edinburgh and Manchester on league tables and unistats so until now I haven't considered either when deciding on 5 the unis. Your thoughts?

Don't pay too much attention to student satisfaction, it's very easy for a university to manipulate and score well. When graduates are in their final year, they are told to say the course has been brilliant on the surveys etc so they score well and don't devalue the course. This is why you'll very often see newer courses that rely on this more than established universities performing so well.
What's everyone's insurance option/s (easier to get into)?

I think Birmingham would be a good insurance
It is not as good as Cambridge/Imperial nonetheless still a great RG uni for Chem Eng
No interview needed and therefore saves time
The A*AA or AAAA offer provides a bit of flexibility so it is unlikely to miss both
(edited 7 years ago)

Nottingham or Loughborough as they require an A in either Chem or physics so i can get in if i flop chem

Probably Manchester, I've heard that although they publish entry requirements of A*AA, they often accept people who miss their offer by a grade or two.
Can I send an application to Cambridge now, then send an application for all the other universities that have the later deadline, at a later date?
Original post by FusionNetworks
Can I send an application to Cambridge now, then send an application for all the other universities that have the later deadline, at a later date?

Yes

You add the others later, but you can't change anything else in your application. Your PS, reference, etc stays the same.
Original post by FusionNetworks

Yes you can
It's possible to add the other choices later if you haven't decided them yet
But of course you would have to pay for them when you add your choices too (The total fee is the same as applying to five unis at once)
Original post by jneill
Yes

You add the others later, but you can't change anything else in your application. Your PS, reference, etc stays the same.

Thank you jneill !

Edit: and the kind sir above^!
Original post by Cheesy Taters
I applied to:
Manchester
Birmingham
Bath
UCL
Can't remember my fifth :s-smilie: sorry

EDIT: Fifth Application was to Nottingham who also gave me an unconditional offer without interview. :P

I did a gap year before so I already had my grades:
GCSEs (Summer 2011) - 6A*s 4As
A-Levels (Summer 2013) - Maths (A) Chemistry (A) Computer Studies (A) Biology (B)

I got unconditional offers from Birmingham and Manchester, the others rjected me :frown:

I'm thinking of applying to the meng chemical engineering course at manchester. I've been predicted A*AA, I loved the department at the discover engineering day. What was your interview like? Did they ask you really hard questions? For example, did they ask you standard A level maths and chemistry question or ''trick'' questions.
Original post by Lissy14
I do chemical engineering st the university of sheffeild.

This thread said an interview wasn't required, and none of my friends on the course had an interview, but I did... Bit weird!
I phoned them up on results day as I hadn't got the grades required, and instead of kicking me off the course they had just moved me onto the straight 4 year course. I asked if I would be able to move back on to the year in industry course, and they said yes if I got a 2:1 at the end of first year.
They said the reason they were keeping me was because I did really well in interview.... An interview which apparently no one else had! XD

That's quite strange.... Did you perhaps not do A levels?
Original post by timster32
Probably Manchester, I've heard that although they publish entry requirements of A*AA, they often accept people who miss their offer by a grade or two.

Really?? I've been predicted A*AA, but I honestly think I'l get AAA for the masters chemical engineering course. Where did you hear that??
I'm having difficulty deciding between chemical engineering and medicine.

Does anyone have any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by munchkin1212
I'm having difficulty deciding between chemical engineering and medicine.

Does anyone have any advice?

Do you want to be a doctor or an engineer?

:beard:
Original post by jneill
Do you want to be a doctor or an engineer?

:beard:

I don't know!

I really love maths, biology and chemistry, but I'm not a massive fan of physics.
Original post by munchkin1212
I don't know!

I really love maths, biology and chemistry, but I'm not a massive fan of physics.

Medicine then. Maybe in research.

Engineering is basically applied physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Has anyone had any offers yet? I have an interview visit day thing at Manchester 😊
Original post by WoolyHat
Has anyone had any offers yet? I have an interview visit day thing at Manchester 😊

What??? how??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending