The Student Room Group

Dentistry or Medicine with these Results?

GCSE:Arabic A*
RS A*
Chemistry A
Geography A
English Literature A
Maths A
Biology B
Drama B
Spanish B
English Language (resit in November) C (aiming for min B in Nov)
Physics C

^Should I resit my Biology, if it gets to an A will i have a higher chance?

A-Level: Chemistry, Maths, Psychology
AS: Biology

Please respond someone, I've posted multiple threads on the same topic I am not spamming but nobody is answering an I keep bumping please answer if you can!

Thanks
Original post by sfaraj
GCSE:Arabic A*
RS A*
Chemistry A
Geography A
English Literature A
Maths A
Biology B
Drama B
Spanish B
English Language (resit in November) C (aiming for min B in Nov)
Physics C

^Should I resit my Biology, if it gets to an A will i have a higher chance?

A-Level: Chemistry, Maths, Psychology
AS: Biology

Please respond someone, I've posted multiple threads on the same topic I am not spamming but nobody is answering an I keep bumping please answer if you can!

Thanks

Medicine and dentistry are totally different careers - you can't pick which one you'd prefer to go into on the basis of your GCSE grades. Both are very competitive degrees to get into, it's not like dentistry can be used as a back up for medicine or vice versa.

I would think about the nature of both jobs and consider which job appeals to you more - arrange some work experience in both if you already haven't.

Your GCSE results are good by ordinary standards but aren't very competitive compared to the majority of medicine or dentistry applicants. So whichever degree you decide to apply for, make sure you apply to medical or dental schools which don't place a great deal of emphasis on GCSE results.

Personally I wouldn't bother resitting GCSE biology; resitting English language is a good idea though.
If you are in year 12 my advice would be to get some work experience of both asap. Those gcses will rule you out of places like Birmingham or Cardiff. Do you qualify for any access schemes due to parents not going to uni/low household income?

You need to concentrate on getting As at A level mainly so put the work in now. For either a really good UKCAT score would be a bonus so make sure you book it well in advance and practise hard.
Reply 3
Your grades are fine. Alot of unis except for a few barely care about GCSE. Try to ace your a levels and get 700+ in ther UKCAT and you should be sorted. The only problem i think is the physics, try to get it to an A.
Original post by SargentZenj2
Your grades are fine. Alot of unis except for a few barely care about GCSE. Try to ace your a levels and get 700+ in ther UKCAT and you should be sorted. The only problem i think is the physics, try to get it to an A.

so resit?
Physics is a bit of a problem, but there again so is the English. I'm assuming that Arabic is your native language - the A* in Arabic is a giveaway...
Original post by Reality Check
Physics is a bit of a problem, but there again so is the English. I'm assuming that Arabic is your native language - the A* in Arabic is a giveaway...

well arabic is what i speak with my parents but i was born speaking english. and tbh the exam is hardly plus or minus

yup i was worried about my physics, i was 15 ums of a B but didnt want to remark. might be worth resiting although idk how much better i'll be

and i've dealt with english already
Original post by sfaraj
well arabic is what i speak with my parents but i was born speaking english. and tbh the exam is hardly plus or minus

yup i was worried about my physics, i was 15 ums of a B but didnt want to remark. might be worth resiting although idk how much better i'll be

and i've dealt with english already

You're on the right lines then. Next stop is getting stellar marks for your A levels - are you being entered for AS?
Original post by Reality Check
You're on the right lines then. Next stop is getting stellar marks for your A levels - are you being entered for AS?

thanks

lets hope i can get stellar :/

of course, btec is extremely uncommon in my school
Original post by redhelen
If you are in year 12 my advice would be to get some work experience of both asap. Those gcses will rule you out of places like Birmingham or Cardiff. Do you qualify for any access schemes due to parents not going to uni/low household income?

You need to concentrate on getting As at A level mainly so put the work in now. For either a really good UKCAT score would be a bonus so make sure you book it well in advance and practise hard.

yup i qualify for access. which unis do access? i know kcl
Original post by Democracy
Medicine and dentistry are totally different careers - you can't pick which one you'd prefer to go into on the basis of your GCSE grades. Both are very competitive degrees to get into, it's not like dentistry can be used as a back up for medicine or vice versa.

I would think about the nature of both jobs and consider which job appeals to you more - arrange some work experience in both if you already haven't.

Your GCSE results are good by ordinary standards but aren't very competitive compared to the majority of medicine or dentistry applicants. So whichever degree you decide to apply for, make sure you apply to medical or dental schools which don't place a great deal of emphasis on GCSE results.

Personally I wouldn't bother resitting GCSE biology; resitting English language is a good idea though.

but if i do better in bio, will that not help improve me grades, especially since unis want A min for gcsse bio sometimes.

and do you have alist of school which arent gcse heavy?

plus im not basing my options on gcse grades, im stuck between which course thats all
If you qualify for access schemes then I would pick medicine ( seem to be more of those )and get your school to help you apply. Your gcses really wont matter then and if you are suitable you could get offers of less than AAA too.
Where we live people I know that got on the scheme were applying to it round about now so I would look into it asap.

Then also try to find some dental work experience ( sooner rather than later )to help you make up your mind

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending