The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamestg
Thanks for your reply.

What's your take on AEA Maths for entry onto Econ? Would it form part of an offer or/and would it be beneficial for those not taking FM?

I don't think we have a strong view on it. There's never any harm in doing more Mahs but it's unlikely ever to form part of your offer.
How strongly do you consider GCSE grades, personal statements and AS Grades? If you had to rank them and give them a kind of ratio about which is the most important component of the three, what do you think it would be? Thanks!
Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
Hello and thanks for your questions. You should get your teachers to report the scores in your reference as they look very strong. We don't make allowances for Chinese for non-native speakers as we don't regard it as impossible to get an A in, I've seen plenty in my time. You need not be too concerned, however, as you have very strong scores in more relevant subjects and, as you say, are very close to an A.

Thanks for your very helpful reply! My UCAS application has already been sent off and I am unsure if my teachers have included my scores for the Linear subjects. Our school policy doesn't allow us to see our references at any point (I'm not sure if this is typical of other schools!), and I don't know whether this is the kind of information that references typically include - do most teacher references you have seen give these details? I will speak to my tutor and check whether she has written my scores in them. If she hasn't, would it be inappropriate to include them in the optional extra statement that the SAQ requires, to make sure that Cambridge has an awareness of my other results? Would this come across badly, and would it be taken into consideration without teacher validation?

Thanks again for your time!
Will last year's CSAT paper be released at all? I've done all the specimen questions, but people who took it last year say the actual questions were much harder than the specimen paper. If it's not being released, is there much else I can do to prepare outside of MAT papers or UKMT papers?

Also, I'm planning on doing some extra maths modules (S4, D1, D2), but I'm still unsure if I'll actually be entered for them. Will I be at a disadvantage if I put them down and don't end up sitting them? Or if I don't put them down and do end up sitting them?

Thanks.
Hi
I looked at your reply from last time, can you tell me if i will have a good chance at engineering right now with the results i have, even though i dont have any mechanics or physics i am sure the offer (if i get one) will be of an A/A* in physics so wont that prove that i will be good at physics if i get the A/A*?
Thank you
Original post by somebodyelse98
Thanks for your very helpful reply! My UCAS application has already been sent off and I am unsure if my teachers have included my scores for the Linear subjects. Our school policy doesn't allow us to see our references at any point (I'm not sure if this is typical of other schools!), and I don't know whether this is the kind of information that references typically include - do most teacher references you have seen give these details? I will speak to my tutor and check whether she has written my scores in them. If she hasn't, would it be inappropriate to include them in the optional extra statement that the SAQ requires, to make sure that Cambridge has an awareness of my other results? Would this come across badly, and would it be taken into consideration without teacher validation?

Thanks again for your time!

I've not read any references yet this year so couldn't say. In the past it was pretty common for schools to put candidates UMS results (or some of them) in the reference so universities knew how well their candidates had done. If they are to be put in, they should be in the reference not in the SAQ.
Original post by asdasdasdaasda12
Hi
I looked at your reply from last time, can you tell me if i will have a good chance at engineering right now with the results i have, even though i dont have any mechanics or physics i am sure the offer (if i get one) will be of an A/A* in physics so wont that prove that i will be good at physics if i get the A/A*?
Thank you

I'd have concerns about you applying too early and before you were ready. As I say, it's very rare for 16 year olds to come to Cambridge. You have good esults at the moment, especially in Maths, but as you've done no mechanics or physics yet you'll be considered a risk for an offer (given that nearly all other candidates will have done these more than you) and, given your young age, possibly too big a risk. I'm not saying that this is how everyone in Cambridge will view it but that is my judgement as an experienced admissions tutor. I don;t want to put you off, just want you to be aware of the hurdles you will have to overcome at this stage in your education and development.
Original post by trythis
Will last year's CSAT paper be released at all? I've done all the specimen questions, but people who took it last year say the actual questions were much harder than the specimen paper. If it's not being released, is there much else I can do to prepare outside of MAT papers or UKMT papers?

Also, I'm planning on doing some extra maths modules (S4, D1, D2), but I'm still unsure if I'll actually be entered for them. Will I be at a disadvantage if I put them down and don't end up sitting them? Or if I don't put them down and do end up sitting them?

Thanks.

I don't know of any plans for last year's paper to be released. Beyond what you suggest, no, though practising some STEP papers will never do you any harm, especially if you apply for Comp Sci with Maths.

No, you won;t be at a disadvantage but you need to let the university you have a firm offer from know what you plan to do and why you are not planning to take them and they need to sign off on that.
Our school policy doesn't allow us to see our references at any point (I'm not sure if this is typical of other schools!),

You can pay UCAS £10 to obtain your entire application including the Reference.

Bottom of this page:
http://help.ucas.com/contract13/index.html

But it would be easier to ask your teachers...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
You can pay UCAS £10 to obtain your entire application including the Reference.

Bottom of this page:
http://help.ucas.com/contract13/index.html

But it would be easier to ask your teachers...

Posted from TSR Mobile

had no idea about this! thanks so much
I'd have concerns about you applying too early and before you were ready. As I say, it's very rare for 16 year olds to come to Cambridge. You have good esults at the moment, especially in Maths, but as you've done no mechanics or physics yet you'll be considered a risk for an offer (given that nearly all other candidates will have done these more than you) and, given your young age, possibly too big a risk. I'm not saying that this is how everyone in Cambridge will view it but that is my judgement as an experienced admissions tutor. I don;t want to put you off, just want you to be aware of the hurdles you will have to overcome at this stage in your education and development.

Aren't offers given with the condition of getting particular grades in subjects you are doing in the second year? i am doing mechanics and a level physics and i would only get accepted if i get the A/A* in M1 M2 and Physics would i not be ready if i did get the A/A*?
And also it will be very nice if can you tell me which colleges in Cambridge will definetly not give me an offer so i can avoid those colleges or Cambridge colleges that don't think of age as a problem and would be likely to give an offer to someone like me.
Thank you very much.
The Open application allocation takes place around 19 October. You'll then be assigned to a college and they will be in touch to tell you what they want and when and you will know who to contact in case of any queries.

Ok thanks for clarifying :smile:
Aren't offers given with the condition of getting particular grades in subjects you are doing in the second year? i am doing mechanics and a level physics and i would only get accepted if i get the A/A* in M1 M2 and Physics would i not be ready if i did get the A/A*?
And also it will be very nice if can you tell me which colleges in Cambridge will definetly not give me an offer so i can avoid those colleges or Cambridge colleges that don't think of age as a problem and would be likely to give an offer to someone like me.
Thank you very much.

All applicants for Engineering will have to take a pre-interview assessment which involves Maths and Physics. You can find information about it here:
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/engineering#entry-requirements
Original post by tiny hobbit
All applicants for Engineering will have to take a pre-interview assessment which involves Maths and Physics. You can find information about it here:
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/engineering#entry-requirements

ye i know that i can take that test and it will be okay as i have almost completed M1 and AS (YEAR 1 Physics new spec) physics content so thats okayi think i will do good in that.
(edited 7 years ago)
i am doing mechanics and a level physics and i would only get accepted if i get the A/A* in M1 M2 and Physics would i not be ready if i did get the A/A*?

M1 and M2 are maths modules not standalone subjects.
Thank you very much.

Yes, of course, the issue we might have is that we currently have no evidence of your strength in Mechanics and Physics. The assessments and interviews will help with that but it remains a risk. I'm not saying that it's impossible for you to get an offer, you are clearly a decent candidate with a lot of potential given your age and I'm not trying to put you off, I'm just being honest about the thoughts that might cross an admissions tutor's or interview's minds. You'll need to ask individual colleges about their attitudes to age and your situation as we tend to treat young students on a case by case basis.
Yes, of course, the issue we might have is that we currently have no evidence of your strength in Mechanics and Physics. The assessments and interviews will help with that but it remains a risk. I'm not saying that it's impossible for you to get an offer, you are clearly a decent candidate with a lot of potential given your age and I'm not trying to put you off, I'm just being honest about the thoughts that might cross an admissions tutor's or interview's minds. You'll need to ask individual colleges about their attitudes to age and your situation as we tend to treat young students on a case by case basis.

Thank you very much- you have been very helpful.
How strongly do you consider GCSE grades, personal statements and AS Grades? If you had to rank them and give them a kind of ratio about which is the most important component of the three, what do you think it would be? Thanks!

I think it would be fair to say that in most cases that AS Level results would be more important than those other two factors as it's the most recent example of a student's work in public exams. The best general predictor of future performance is past performance but it's not perfect and that's why we look at so many factors and invest so much time, effort and resources in trying to make the best decisions that we can.

I'm not going to put out any sort of ratio because we don't approach applications in such a mechanistic way. For each student we will take a holistic view and for one candidate something which might be especially important in their case is not in another student's.
Hello,
If I were to resit an exam or two, would I have to explicitly mention this in my UCAS Application?
Thanks in advance.
Hello Dr Spencer. Thank you for doing this AMA. I am a year 12 student and after having finished my GCSEs I have decided that Cambridge is my one true aspiration with regards to university. Presently, Medicine and Natural Sciences appeal to me more than any other courses and I would guess that my A-Levels limit me somewhat to these anyway.

Educational Background:
At GCSE I achieved 10 A*s and 3 As, also an A* in the Level 2 Higher Project Qualifiation about the Higgs Boson particle and a Pass in the Level 3 Certificate in Algebra (Pass/Fail).
A*s: English Language, French, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Further Mathematics, Computing, Business Studies, Geography and Religious Studies.
As: Mathematics, History and English Literature.
I have done GCSE maths twice, achieving an A both times and have been certificated twice as a result.
My A-Levels are Maths, Chemistry and Biology. I am also doing an Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) this year.

Extra-Curriculars, Responsibilities and Awards (Past and Present):
Duke of Edinburgh Bronze (completed) and Silver (in progress) awards; Dragons' Apprentice Challenge (Hertfordshire and Cambridge schools, similar to Young Enterprise); Part-time job in a supermarket; 1 week of work-experience at UTC Aerospace Systems (aerospace engineering facility); Volunteering in a charity shop, computing club and GCSE chemistry lessons; Public Speaking in school parliament several times in my school career; Vice-Captain of a house at school; multiple house and subject awards; Participating in team maths challenge this year; Likely to participate in World Challenge on an expedition to Sri Lanka; Additional Reading.

Questions:
1. Would the fact that I retook GCSE mathematics and achieved the same grade affect my application in any way?
2. Are my GCSE grades and A-Level subjects suitable for medicine or natural sciences?
3. Are there any extra-curricular activities which I have done, or do which are particularly useful or any which would not help to strengthen my UCAS application?
4. Is there anything else which you would recommend I do, in terms of showing passion for the course (medicine or natural sciences), or anything else which is entirely necessary?
5. Based on the reasonably small amount of information you have about my academics and extra-curricular activities, what would my chances be of being invited to interview or offered a place?

Thank you again for holding this Q&A and I hope to hear from you soon.

Latest