The Student Room Group

Which set of uni choices should I go with?

Hey there guys, I've pretty much decided on most of my uni choices for law, but I'm stuck between two sets of choices and I'm not sure which to go for/whether the second would be too risky. These are the two sets I'm considering:

Cambridge (A*AA)
UCL (A*AA)
Manchester (AAA)
Bristol (AAB)
Liverpool (ABB)

Cambridge (A*AA)
UCL (A*AA)
Durham (A*AA)
Bristol (AAB)
Liverpool (ABB)

The thing is, I would rather go to Bristol than Manchester, which makes it awkward because Bristol also has a lower entry requirement so it raises the question of why I'm even applying to Manchester in the first place. I was really only applying so that if I didn't get an offer from Cambridge or UCL, and I didn't get an offer from Bristol, then I would still have a good university to fall back on - a 'reserve firm'. But Bristol gave out offers to 70% of applicants last year, and since my predicted grades are much higher than the standard offer I'm reasonably confident that I'll get an offer. So wouldn't it make more sense to use my Manchester choice for a university that I would actually want to go to (Durham), and just risk that I will get an offer from Bristol?

Relevant stuff:

Predicted grades: Distinction* + A*A*A
AS grades: Distinction* + AAB
GCSEs: A*AAAABBBBCCC

Many thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Hey there guys, I've pretty much decided on most of my uni choices for law, but I'm stuck between two sets of choices and I'm not sure which to go for/whether one would be two risky. These are the two sets I'm considering:

Cambridge (A*AA)
UCL (A*AA)
Manchester (AAA)
Bristol (AAB)
Liverpool (ABB)

Cambridge (A*AA)
UCL (A*AA)
Durham (A*AA)
Bristol (AAB)
Liverpool (ABB)

The thing is, I would rather go to Bristol than Manchester, which makes it awkward because Bristol also has a lower entry requirement so it raises the question of why I'm even applying to Manchester in the first place. I was really only applying so that if I didn't get an offer from Cambridge or UCL, and I didn't get an offer from Bristol, then I would still have a good university to fall back on - a 'reserve firm'. But Bristol gave out offers to 70% of applicants last year, and since my predicted grades are much higher than the standard offer I'm reasonably confident that I'll get an offer. So wouldn't it make more sense to use my Manchester choice for a university that I would actually want to go to, and just risk that I will get an offer from Bristol?

Relevant stuff:

Many thanks

The second choice is one with 3 choices having the same, very high requirements. Are you sure you can convince these universities you can achieve those requirements?
Original post by asmuse123
The second choice is one with 3 choices having the same, very high requirements. Are you sure you can convince these universities you can achieve those requirements?

I think that based off of my AS and my predicted grades, it would be reasonable to say that those requirements are achievable, and that the universities would be convinced that they are achievable. But of course there are other factors affecting whether I got an offer.

The other option is that I go for the first set. But the problem is that there isn't any AAA/AAB university I want to go to more than Bristol (AAB), which could mean that applying to any AAA/AAB university is pointless (I wouldn't use Manchester as an insurance if I got an offer from Cambridge/UCL because AAA is too high for an insurance, and I wouldn't firm Manchester if I got an offer from Bristol. But this is going off the assumption that I could get an offer from Bristol, which I'm hoping would be very likely considering how they gave 70% of applicants an offer last year, and because of how my predicted grades quite substantially exceed the entry requirements.

Really my problem can be summarised as this: Only in a very specific circumstance would I consider accepting an offer from Manchester (rejected from Cambridge, UCL and Bristol). Bearing that in mind, wouldn't it make more sense to use that choice on a university I actually wanted to go to more than Bristol? Or is is too risky to just assume that I will get an offer from Bristol (which I would then make my insurance if I got an offer from Cambridge/UCL/Durham, or make my firm if I got rejected from all three)?
(edited 7 years ago)
Are you entitled to Bristol's contextual offer because the grades you have quoted will only be offered if you do
Why not Jurisprudence at Oxford? It's awesome.

I agree with putting Manchester over Durham.

If you get into any of these you'll be fine though if you get first. I'd even go as far as saying that high first from Bristol would serve you better than a low/middle 2:1 from Cambridge / UCL.
If you are not at a Contextual Offer school the offer from Bristol will be AAA.

The Liverpool choice is sensible - ie. if you get an offer that will be your potential Insurance (so make sure that you do actually want to go there!).

You don't want to go to Manchester? Then drop it.

Btw, there is nothing to stop you only applying to 4 choices at this stage and only adding a 5th choice if you need to (ie. no potential Firm offers). If you make that final choice before the Jan deadline then that is totally okay and you will be considered in exactly the same way as anyone applying in October.
Choose Bristol as it's what you really want but if I were you i'd choose one with lower requirements too just in case
Hey there guys, I've pretty much decided on most of my uni choices for law, but I'm stuck between two sets of choices and I'm not sure which to go for/whether one would be two risky. These are the two sets I'm considering:

Cambridge (A*AA)
UCL (A*AA)
Manchester (AAA)
Bristol (AAB)
Liverpool (ABB)

Cambridge (A*AA)
UCL (A*AA)
Durham (A*AA)
Bristol (AAB)
Liverpool (ABB)

The thing is, I would rather go to Bristol than Manchester, which makes it awkward because Bristol also has a lower entry requirement so it raises the question of why I'm even applying to Manchester in the first place. I was really only applying so that if I didn't get an offer from Cambridge or UCL, and I didn't get an offer from Bristol, then I would still have a good university to fall back on - a 'reserve firm'. But Bristol gave out offers to 70% of applicants last year, and since my predicted grades are much higher than the standard offer I'm reasonably confident that I'll get an offer. So wouldn't it make more sense to use my Manchester choice for a university that I would actually want to go to, and just risk that I will get an offer from Bristol?

Relevant stuff:

Many thanks

Just apply for not to Cambridge, UCL, Bristol and Liverpool.

By Christmas you may well have an answer from some or all of them which will help you decide which of your other options to put as your 5th choice. As long as you add them on Track by 15 Jan you'll meet the deadlines for those courses.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by swansea jack 1
Are you entitled to Bristol's contextual offer because the grades you have quoted will only be offered if you do

Original post by returnmigrant
If you are not at a Contextual Offer school the offer from Bristol will be AAA.

My sixth form is on the contextual offer list.
Original post by HANNAHBENLOLO
Why not Jurisprudence at Oxford? It's awesome.

My GCSEs suck... Plus I haven't done any research into Oxford colleges. And I prefer the Cambridge system of examination, at the end of each year in an regular fashion.
I agree with putting Manchester over Durham.

Lol I was actually saying that I'd prefer to go to Durham than Manchester and asking whether it would be too risky to change my Manchester choice to Durham, then risk having no 'good' university to put as my firm if Cambridge, UCL, Durham, and Bristol reject me.

If you get into any of these you'll be fine though

Defo, if these charts are anything to go off of: http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/media/1067/what_is_a_good_university.pdf
Original post by returnmigrant
Btw, there is nothing to stop you only applying to 4 choices at this stage and only adding a 5th choice if you need to (ie. no potential Firm offers). If you make that final choice before the Jan deadline then that is totally okay and you will be considered in exactly the same way as anyone applying in October.

Original post by PQ
By Christmas you may well have an answer from some or all of them which will help you decide which of your other options to put as your 5th choice. As long as you add them on Track by 15 Jan you'll meet the deadlines for those courses.

This could potentially be the answer!

But I'm concerned that I won't really be treated in exactly the same way. Won't most of the places have gone by that point and they'll have to be much more critical? I know that they say they treat everyone the same, but do they really? Won't they be more conscious of who to admit when they've only got like 10 places left?
This could potentially be the answer!

But I'm concerned that I won't really be treated in exactly the same way. Won't most of the places have gone by that point and they'll have to be much more critical? I know that they say they treat everyone the same, but do they really? Won't they be more conscious of who to admit when they've only got like 10 places left?

That's not how admissions works.

Durham in particular have used gathered fields for some of their courses before - so even if you applied in October they wouldn't start looking at applications until January.

If you apply by Jan 15th then your application will be measured against EXACTLY the same criteria to decide if you'll get an offer or not. If you're borderline and apply early then they just sit on your application until January and then decide on the borderline cases altogether.
Original post by PQ
That's not how admissions works.

Durham in particular have used gathered fields for some of their courses before - so even if you applied in October they wouldn't start looking at applications until January.

If you apply by Jan 15th then your application will be measured against EXACTLY the same criteria to decide if you'll get an offer or not. If you're borderline and apply early then they just sit on your application until January and then decide on the borderline cases altogether.

I spoke with my head of sixth form today about my idea of waiting for Bristol's decision before applying to Manchester/Durham/Liverpool and she basically said that it was a really bad idea. I mentioned how universities have to give equal consideration to all applicants who apply before the 15th of January, but she said that they were lying and only say they give equal consideration on paper, not in practice.

Does she even know what she's talking about?
I spoke with my head of sixth form today about my idea of waiting for Bristol's decision before applying to Manchester/Durham/Liverpool and she basically said that it was a really bad idea. I mentioned how universities have to give equal consideration to all applicants who apply before the 15th of January, but she said that they were lying and only say they give equal consideration on paper, not in practice.

Does she even know what she's talking about?

No she clearly doesn't.

Universities don't lie about this- it's something we do every year. We know what we're looking for and we know the patterns and rhythm of the cycle and what flexibility there is to increase or reduce numbers later on if there are unexpected surges or dips in demand.

Applications are compared to unchanging criteria NOT to other applications when deciding whether to make an offer. And borderline applications - we wait for the deadline before making a judgment.

. I mentioned how universities have to give equal consideration to all applicants who apply before the 15th of January, but she said that they were lying and only say they give equal consideration on paper, not in practice.

If she has evidence of this I suggest that she sends it to UCAS. Your teacher clearly has no real idea about how the UCAS admissions process works and is making it up as she goes along.

Many schools pressure applicants to get their entire UCAS application done and submitted before half-term. This is simply so that they can get all of the reference writing out of the way and get you all concentrating fully on your A levels. However, ultimately its YOUR application not theirs. You do not need anyone else's approval of your strategy and if it works for you that is all that matters.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending