The Student Room Group

UKIP leader could be banned from driving?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drewski
Nicola Sturgeon doesn't have a driving licence, doesn't stop her being a party leader.

Yes but Nicola Sturgeon never had a driving licence in the first place so it wasn't like she was banned like Woolfe could be. The DVLA is a big powerful organisation which has ability to affect peoples lives etc, it is part of the Civil Service. When people get a driving licence they are affected by the DVLA.

I have heard of school teachers banned from driving for being over the DD limit and they have also lost their teaching career, freedom to work with children and miners and even ability to get a tourist visa for the USA because of their driving ban. Even though teachers don't need to drive, or need to have a driving licence to enter the USA, it's the rules and the DVLA has put these restrictions on them. The DVLA has far stretching powers.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ambitious1999
twoddle

You're a numpty.
Reply 22
I have heard of school teachers banned from driving for being over the DD limit and they have also lost their teaching career, freedom to work with children and miners and even ability to get a tourist visa for the USA because of their driving ban. Even though teachers don't need to drive, or need to have a driving licence to enter the USA, it's the rules and the DVLA has put these restrictions on them. The DVLA has far stretching powers.

Losing your job because you did something stupid is far different to having a seizure outside of your control. It's two different scenarios that can't be compared.
Original post by Geek5
Losing your job because you did something stupid is far different to having a seizure outside of your control. It's two different scenarios that can't be compared.

Hope so but it's all down to what the DVLA decides. As I say they have a say over issues other than driving and a political leader can't be a political leader if they can't get visas to enter certain countries because the DVLA says.
Reply 24
Hope so but it's all down to what the DVLA decides. As I say they have a say over issues other than driving and a political leader can't be a political leader if they can't get visas to enter certain countries because the DVLA says.

What you're saying doesn't make sense? The UKIP guy hasn't committed any motor vehicle offences. Therefore, the DVLA can't do anything. You won't be refused a visa on the basis of a medical condition - the DVLA doesn't control that.
Original post by Geek5
What you're saying doesn't make sense? The UKIP guy hasn't committed any motor vehicle offences. Therefore, the DVLA can't do anything. You won't be refused a visa on the basis of a medical condition - the DVLA doesn't control that.

Let's hope the DVLA isn't so harsh but they did end someone's teaching career because it went on their DBS record as having a driving ban. Whether the record has the specific reasons for the ban stated I don't know. But it is a very big complex organisation.
Reply 26
Let's hope the DVLA isn't so harsh but they did end someone's teaching career because it went on their DBS record as having a driving ban. Whether the record has the specific reasons for the ban stated I don't know. But it is a very big complex organisation.

You're really beginning to frustrate me. You're either stupid or you're pretending to be. Let me put this in the simplest terms I can:

A teacher who drives under the influence commits a criminal offence. This goes on their DBS record and they lose their job as they didn't conform to the rules of the 'National Teachers' Standards'.

The UKIP man might be banned from driving on medical grounds. This does not make him a criminal and won't show up on a DBS check. His chances of getting a Visa won't be affected. Having a medical condition doesn't make someone a criminal.

It's incredibly insensitive of you to compare a criminal to a person with a medical condition.
Original post by Geek5
It's incredibly insensitive of you to compare a criminal to a person with a medical condition.

Ignore him, he's a card-carrying moron.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending