The Student Room Group

Choosing only 3 A-Levels

Hi - My sixth form choice needs my application to be submitted in early November. We haven't really had any information on the courses, only what teachers are saying to the students about it briefly and research on our schools website that for last years prospective sixth form members.

I am unsure of whether to do 4 options at AS and A2 or just do 3 at AS and A2. I wouldn't drop one after a year when that time could be used focusing on the other three. If I were to take four I would take German - I'm in top set at the moment with target grades of Bs but recently getting an A in my last assessment. Never the less, my German teacher advised our class that the higher students do 4 and the less able do 3.

Should I put all my hard work into three subjects that I am good at and that I like? (History, English Literature and Government & Politics)
OR should I do a fourth option?

Thankyou!
Original post by chl0eec
Hi - My sixth form choice needs my application to be submitted in early November. We haven't really had any information on the courses, only what teachers are saying to the students about it briefly and research on our schools website that for last years prospective sixth form members.

I am unsure of whether to do 4 options at AS and A2 or just do 3 at AS and A2. I wouldn't drop one after a year when that time could be used focusing on the other three. If I were to take four I would take German - I'm in top set at the moment with target grades of Bs but recently getting an A in my last assessment. Never the less, my German teacher advised our class that the higher students do 4 and the less able do 3.

Should I put all my hard work into three subjects that I am good at and that I like? (History, English Literature and Government & Politics)
OR should I do a fourth option?

Thankyou!

Is there any way you can start off with four and drop one if necessary? What are you predicted in English Literature and History? To be honest, universities only need three subjects now, so if you feel as though taking an extra subject would cause you to lose focus on your other three then I'd stay stick with three and try and get the best grades that you can in those.
Reply 2
Original post by Edminzodo
Is there any way you can start off with four and drop one if necessary? What are you predicted in English Literature and History? To be honest, universities only need three subjects now, so if you feel as though taking an extra subject would cause you to lose focus on your other three then I'd stay stick with three and try and get the best grades that you can in those.

We have a week once the course has started to drop the one we don't want to do. But what if the subject is really good in the first month and then gets worse? I am predicted a B in English Lit but I'm achieving A's and A*s and an A* in History. Thankyou, I agree that taking an extra subject may mean that I can't work as hard in my other three subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest