Predicted: A*AA /A*A*A
Very Good personal statement

LSE: A*AA
UCL: A*AA / A*A*A
Kings: AAA
Nottingham: A*AA / AAA
Manchester: AAA

To study Maths and Economics

They are realistic but how confident are you in achieving your predicted grades ? I suggest having one or more uni with a lower requirement like AAB or ABB just in case. But if you are confident, I don't see what will stop you except not receiving the offers.
Reply 3
Original post by Nuggetsarelife
GCSE: 2 A* 4 A 3 B
AS Levels: Maths (90%) A
Further Maths: B
Economics: B
Physics: C

You won't get an offer from LSE or UCL.
Im sorry but I don't think it's realistic that you're applying for maths and economics at top unis and you only have a B in further maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Physics: C

Possibly not. The issue here is that your predicted grades don't really seem to match up to the ones you achieved at AS Level. I'd say only apply to one of LSE and UCL, or neither. The Bs in Economics and Further Maths could be a real problem. And having a 'very good Personal Statement' is subjective. Some universities don't even look at the PS when giving out offers, although they most likely will now, given the A-Level reforms.
Honestly, no. Anyone would be advised to choose 5 unis with a range of offers ie one A*AA, a couple AAA-AAB and one ABB-BBB just to be on the safe side. Even if your PS is strong, at universities like LSE which require upwards of 8A*s at GCSE to be considered, your application will be discarded immediately.
Original post by Edminzodo
Possibly not. The issue here is that your predicted grades don't really seem to match up to the ones you achieved at AS Level. I'd say only apply to one of LSE and UCL, or neither. The Bs in Economics and Further Maths could be a real problem. And having a 'very good Personal Statement' is subjective. Some universities don't even look at the PS when giving out offers, although they most likely will now, given the A-Level reforms.

My school is ****, my gcse were top 16 and i got the highest in the year for econ as majority got E's, and Im retaking FP1 and D2 to get that A* at the end
@tammio @DamnDaniel2 @blue2337
My school is ****, my gcse were top 16 and i got the highest in the year for econ as majority got E's, and Im retaking FP1 and D2 to get that A* at the end
@tammio @DamnDaniel2 @blue2337

Top universities wont care that your school is ****. They also won't care that you were the best in your year, if it was enough to get a B only. Your predicted grades are not in line with your AS grades. I don't think LSE and UCL will give you an offer, the other 3 may give you one.
Being ambitious is good imo. If you get rejections you could always reapply :smile:
Original post by Christie_xx
Being ambitious is good imo. If you get rejections you could always reapply :smile:

That's the plan :smile:
Honestly i'd say to swap in a couple of lower choice uni's which are still respected (AAB-ABB) just in case because chances are you won't get offers from all 5 and even if you did, the grades are very similar and you ideally want an insurance choice which is lower than your firm (in case your exams don't go as well as you planned).
That's the plan :smile:

Same here! :lol:
You need a realistic insurance choice. ABB or BBB and at least one AAB choice. Your a level predictions seem wildly high based on your AS and GCSE grades. 'Top 16' in a rubbish school is not anything special.
Original post by blue2337
Honestly, no. Anyone would be advised to choose 5 unis with a range of offers ie one A*AA, a couple AAA-AAB and one ABB-BBB just to be on the safe side. Even if your PS is strong, at universities like LSE which require upwards of 8A*s at GCSE to be considered, your application will be discarded immediately.

Im sorry but saying they require 8A*s at GCSE to even be considered is complete bull****. If you're going to advise someone something at least know what you're talking about. I know many people who have gone to LSE with 1-2A*s and a couple of As even a C. They look at everything altogether.
Your school, the area you live in, extenuating circumstances etc.
Please research before you advise

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lawlieto
Top universities wont care that your school is ****. They also won't care that you were the best in your year, if it was enough to get a B only. Your predicted grades are not in line with your AS grades. I don't think LSE and UCL will give you an offer, the other 3 may give you one.

Yes they do care...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IRoranth
@Edminzodo @tammio @lyamlim97@lawlieto @DamnDaniel2

hey guys- just saw you posted on this thread- I wanted to ask the same question- are my choices realistic?

GCSEs:
2A*s, 2As, 4Bs and a C (c in maths)

AS
Government and Politics [A]
Geography [A],
Psychology [B- two marks to an A, which I've been recommended to put in my personal statement? Should I?]
Biology [B- but I've dropped this]

Predictions respectively:
A*AB

Choices:

Durham AAA
Warwick AAA
Nottingham AAB
Leeds AAB
Birmingham ABB

Applying for International Relations.

Replies are much appreciated!

:biggrin:

These look fine. You've got some tougher ones that you can work towards, and some that are below your AS grades in case things don't go to plan.
Physics: C (Dropped)
Predicted: A*AA
Good personal statement

UCL: A*AA
Nottingham: AAA
Manchester: AAB

To study Maths with Economics

Given that your current top grades are ABB do you really think it is wise to have your lowest option as an AAB course?
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Im sorry but saying they require 8A*s at GCSE to even be considered is complete bull****. If you're going to advise someone something at least know what you're talking about. I know many people who have gone to LSE with 1-2A*s and a couple of As even a C. They look at everything altogether.
Your school, the area you live in, extenuating circumstances etc. Please research before you advise Posted from TSR Mobile

lol chill dude

I have a best friend who's applying for economics at LSE and I'm going off his experience with the applications in that particular course. I'm sure there are plenty of courses which allow 1-2A*s but, let's just have a look at what LSE say:

"As competition for places at LSE is intense, we look for applicants who have achieved highly at GCSE (multiple A or A* grades), within the context of your school."

So yeah, if you've done well in the context of your school OP you'll be considered, but since you didn't state any extenuating circumstances in your post, I went off the assumption you did average in terms of school.

Also, I've been told that the competition for places for maths/economics is around 15 applicants for 1 place. With less than average AS results and good GCSEs within context, you're better off applying somewhere else as a safety.

OP asked if his choices were realistic, and I'm just giving an honest answer bruh
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Yes they do care...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm past my university applications, the only university that cares in terms of giving lower offers is Bristol. LSE is quite unrealistic with those grades, and UCL is fairly unrealistic, the rest will probably give you an offer since those are universities that give out more offers than places they have. There will be students with AAAA from crap schools.

Quick Reply

Latest