The Student Room Group

Do you actually believe in banning Muslims from entering the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by _gcx
Why?

the face mask and no place in a civilised society and how are people meant to intergrate with other cultures?

and monitoring people who preach hate is common sense
How do you prove someone is muslim , if they decide to say otherwise?

Discriminate based on race? Lol you guys are so dumb
Original post by SHallowvale
What has not gone well about having Muslims in the UK?

ghettoisation and de facto segregation, radicalisation and terrorism, homophobia, misogyny, anti-seminism, sex attacks, a rescission of a culture of free speech, etc
Nope
Original post by Defraction
This isn't censorship because these views are a clear threat and it is a way of the authorities of dealing these threats so I would rather call it justice. You are rather using my justification objectively to everything when I was only using it to those regards. So, let's just clarify, democracy's clear fundamentals is equality, freedom and liberty which helps stability.(1) These extremist views disrupt one's freedom as they try to (2) inject their belief's onto someone else in order to show everyone that they are right which clearly also disrupts liberty and equality thus undermining stability. (3) These extremist views escalate to verbal violence thus we clearly must do something about it.

Censorship is the supression of free speech (or other communication methods), that are deemed unacceptable by an individual or group of individuals, therefore it is, by definition. Supressing these views, is in fact in violation of the fundamentals of democracy, reducing freedom, liberty and equality simultaneously.

Do they?

That isn't restricted to extremist beliefs, just beliefs pushed in a forceful manner.

So do many non-extremist views. Should we ban those too?

Absolutely not. In the west we pride ourselves in our tolerance, but this is not tolerant at all. We shouldn't persecute an entire group of the people on the basis that a select few are absolute psychos.
Reply 46
They have actually carried out surveys on the best people to ask about this....already established Muslims. Their answer was a resounding no to letting them in. Their reasoning was that these were a different breed of migrants who they could not see settling in the UK, would simply cause problems, had no usable skills and would rely wholly on benefits.

Personally I think everyone should be vetted and have proper ID before we even consider letting them into the country. Even then those we let in should be on probation. One problem and they are sent straight back home.
Original post by _gcx
Censorship is the supression of free speech (or other communication methods), that are deemed unacceptable by an individual or group of individuals, therefore it is, by definition. Supressing these views, is in fact in violation of the fundamentals of democracy, reducing freedom, liberty and equality simultaneously.

Do they?

That isn't restricted to extremist beliefs, just beliefs pushed in a forceful manner.

So do many non-extremist views. Should we ban those too?

These extremist views are a representation of less than 5% or possibly 2% of the whole population thus telling them they should pay for their inhumane, unjustifiable views by deporting them or never letting them stay in the country shouldn't be mistaken as censorship. One obvious fundamentals of democracy is "Individual freedom" whereby everyone have the right of doing what they like as long as it doesn't interfere or harm others. How can extremist views been supressed when they public doesn't behold the same views as them? So, you think, if the government would deport a religious fanatic out of the UK, this is a clear sign of censorship. No, this is rather preserving democracy and making sure the government indeed is "Of the people, For the people, To the people" and if these extremist views disrupt the stability of democracy and does interfere or harm one's self then deportation is the only way of protecting the people.
Original post by Someboady
The results are just shocking... I can't believe there are so many people who would shun an entire community based on bigotry :/

islam is the biggest form of bigotry on the planet
Not unless there was a legitimate reason to do so.

I am not from th school of all muslim= terrorist.

I would ban people who cna be shown to be a realistic threat to the UK on an individual basis, but considering there are 1.8 billion muslims, then it would be rather stupid to ban them all just because a few may be a threat.

You should also bear in mind the diplomatic and economic consequences of being hostile to these countries. You would lose out massively economically and as a result be significnatly less wealthy and less compeitive.

By such an overreaction you would be playing right into the hands of the terrorists.
Original post by Mandem67
Like do you actually want a ban on Muslims and people from the Middle East from entering the UK?

I was wondering whether TSR agrees or disagrees with this surprisingly popular view

37% said "Yes".

I'm so done.
No end of.
Reply 52
If the question is between a ban and the current system yes but neither of those options are good, better screening has to occur and the numbers have to be reduced but a all out ban isn't the right answer.
If we're going to ban Muslims from entering the UK, we may as well ban americans because they're all crazed shooters, right? While we're at it, ban the German seeing as they began a war against us. Yo...why not ban Buddhists too? They're always slaughtering people aren't they? Lets ban Christians too, we've seen what the Westbro Baptist Church and the KKK have been up to. Hey, lets just go all out shall we? Ban black people too because they're all thugs.

If you voted Yes, get you and your idiotic views out of here.
I believe we should stand arm in arm with the Muslim community against these pseudo-Muslims, banning them from entering the U.K would only cause more hatred.
Reply 55
Original post by The_JoKeR
Fanatics hell no, others yeh. Do some sort of a test to see how well they can integrate for like a month or something as well.

you mean like Visa interviews you have to do at a British embassy to get a interview ? or 5 years you have live legally in the UK to apply for Permanent residency ?
I think some sort of probationary period and integration tests should be put in place. People love to say we should respect their culture and the way they live - why, when a lot of them clearly have no respect for our culture, yet want to live here? There are very few countries in the world in which you'd be socially accepted despite not integrating, I don't see why we have to be one of them. If we went to their country and refused to integrate and acted the way we act at home, we'd have a bad time. Totally for people immigrating and generally wanting to be a part of Britain and its culture, but if you frown upon our way of life then you shouldn't live here.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sleepysnooze
ghettoisation and de facto segregation, radicalisation and terrorism, homophobia, misogyny, anti-seminism, sex attacks, a rescission of a culture of free speech, etc

How are those things affecting the UK?
Original post by WoodyMKC
I think some sort of probationary period and integration tests should be put in place. People love to say we should respect their culture and the way they live - why, when a lot of them clearly have no respect for our culture, yet want to live here? There are very few countries in the world in which you'd be socially accepted despite not integrating, I don't see why we have to be one of them. If we went to their country and refused to integrate and acted the way we act at home, we'd have a bad time. Totally for people immigrating and generally wanting to be a part of Britain and its culture, but if you frown upon our way of life then you shouldn't live here.

Some of them don't want to live here.

Have you not watched the ****ing news?
No

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending