The Student Room Group

Is it hard for international student to make friends with British?

I am going to study in the UK next year but have heard from my friends that making friends with locals is not easy. I am not saying Brits are not friendly but the different cultures and accents may be a problem. So...maybe Brits also find it difficult to hang out with international students?
Just wanna hear you guys opinions about making friends with international students. Thanks.
I am an asian girl, btw.
it may depend on how willing you are to become friends with british students, because i think a lot of british students think that international students don't want to hang out with them. Where are you from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bubblegumcat
it may depend on how willing you are to become friends with british students, because i think a lot of british students think that international students don't want to hang out with them. Where are you from?

I can attest that most international students indeed make no effort to befriend their British colleagues and seem perfectly content speaking their 'internationalised English' with their fellow Spaniards, Italians and Franks.
Thanks for replying!
I am from China.
I think you are right actually... International students do clique a lot. Maybe expecially our chinese students. Lol.
But I am a little bit worried that my english is not good enough...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not at all! That's so awesome to study abroad all the way in U.K! Just don't worry about it and you'll be fine!
I think it depends more on the international student than the british ones!

I know some people had the impression that international students kept to themselves. I think this mostly came from chinese students who had a lot of cultural differences and a different work ethic and so just didn't click with the binge drinking freshers. And there are international students who prefer to hang out with people from home where they can speak a language they're comfortable with and so on.

Personally I lived in private halls where there were a lot of international students and had a friendship group which was about 50/50 home and international, including students from europe/africa/asia, the language you need to start uni is not native level so you do get some misunderstandings but anyone who cares about being friends won't care if you miss the odd word and I haven't met an international student whose accent is too strong. For a lot of people learning about culture is a good thing (bonus points if you make a tasty native food for people to try...).
Original post by doodle_333
I think it depends more on the international student than the british ones!

I know some people had the impression that international students kept to themselves. I think this mostly came from chinese students who had a lot of cultural differences and a different work ethic and so just didn't click with the binge drinking freshers. And there are international students who prefer to hang out with people from home where they can speak a language they're comfortable with and so on.

Personally I lived in private halls where there were a lot of international students and had a friendship group which was about 50/50 home and international, including students from europe/africa/asia, the language you need to start uni is not native level so you do get some misunderstandings but anyone who cares about being friends won't care if you miss the odd word and I haven't met an international student whose accent is too strong. For a lot of people learning about culture is a good thing (bonus points if you make a tasty native food for people to try...).

Thanks!
Maybe I just worried too much. I do love learning about new cultures and this is also one reason that I choose to study abroad.
Original post by Grace_Cong1998
I am going to study in the UK next year but have heard from my friends that making friends with locals is not easy. I am not saying Brits are not friendly but the different cultures and accents may be a problem. So...maybe Brits also find it difficult to hang out with international students?
Just wanna hear you guys opinions about making friends with international students. Thanks.
I am an asian girl, btw.

I don't have any experience because I don't start uni till next year but from what I've heard and seen in pics online that British students accept all people who are coming from different countries and it won't affect you making friends. I would have no problem making friends with you or anyone else. What you studying ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RossB1702
I don't have any experience because I don't start uni till next year but from what I've heard and seen in pics online that British students accept all people who are coming from different countries and it won't affect you making friends. I would have no problem making friends with you or anyone else. What you studying ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your reply!
I will study a bachelor degree of Neuroscience or biochemistry. Just sent my UCAS application a few days ago.
What are you going to study?
Thanks for your reply!
I will study a bachelor degree of Neuroscience or biochemistry. Just sent my UCAS application a few days ago.
What are you going to study?

I'm hopeful to study Naval Architecture/Marine Engineering or mechanical engineering. Thanks for asking.
Thanks for replying!
I am from China.
I think you are right actually... International students do clique a lot. Maybe expecially our chinese students. Lol.
But I am a little bit worried that my english is not good enough...

Posted from TSR Mobile

as long as youre willing to be friends with students from other places i doubt you'll have trouble making friends :smile: one of my flatmates is from the states and she rarely talks to me or our other flatmates, i think she prefers to hang out with other international students. However one of my friends from my course is from italy and she's very friendly....just depends on each person!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending