The Student Room Group

Plymouth Medical School Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Original post by Prodigy Living
Morning!

Glad to hear that you're considering living with us at Astor House. Is there a specific room you were interested in the size?

I was looking at the ensuite rooms, I managed to look up room sizes on your site, but was wondering if there was any more images available, I can't really come down and visit before the accomodation deadline, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MJ Rose 1197
Radnor, Mary Newman, Francis Drake, Pilgrim, Gilwell and Robins are on campus and are all one direct bus (15 minutes) from Derriford

I didn't get to go to any of the open days etc. Did you manage to have look at any of them and see what they were like? I was thinking of going for Francis drake?
Alexandra works seems to be the closest actually
Original post by Astronaut Sloth
Alexandra works seems to be the closest actually

Alexandra works is technically the 'closest' but it is still not walking distance and you will have to get a bus to Derriford. Alexandra works is also the furthest away from Town Centre. Maybe email the School and ask for information about transport to Derriford?

Alexandra works is in Mutley and is close to Aldi and right next to PureGym
Original post by Astronaut Sloth
I didn't get to go to any of the open days etc. Did you manage to have look at any of them and see what they were like? I was thinking of going for Francis drake?

I don't really know the difference between them room wise I just know the location of the halls.
Original post by TCO
I was looking at the ensuite rooms, I managed to look up room sizes on your site, but was wondering if there was any more images available, I can't really come down and visit before the accomodation deadline, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Morning TCO,

Unfortunately, we don't have any more on the website.

However, if you email the fabulous team at Astor House, they will be able to take some more photos of what you want to see :smile:
Their email address is [email protected].
Reply 526
Does anyone know when term starts for medics? As on accommodation website it says medic/international move in date is 10th. Why?
Original post by Eszti
Does anyone know when term starts for medics? As on accommodation website it says medic/international move in date is 10th. Why?

I'm not sure of the date but last year medics moved in a week before everyone else because they had a Medicine Freshers' week immediately followed by the usual Uni Freshers' week...
Hi, current 4th year Plymouth medic. I think 1st years start on the 12th September. You guys will have 2 weeks of induction/freshers before you "officially" start. Hope that helps!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 529
Does anyone know if Plymouth look at your situational judgement score on the UKCAT? I got 690 average but a band 3 in SJ! D:

Also, based on my stats, does anyone reckon I'm likely for an interview or not?:

AAB achieved (Chem, Maths, Physics) and taking AS+A2 Biology this year predicted A*. I might retake physics but I'm not sure if it's necessary.

VR: 700
QR: 720
AR: 650
(average 690)
Band 3
Original post by Cal 1
Does anyone know if Plymouth look at your situational judgement score on the UKCAT? I got 690 average but a band 3 in SJ! D:

Also, based on my stats, does anyone reckon I'm likely for an interview or not?:

AAB achieved (Chem, Maths, Physics) and taking AS+A2 Biology this year predicted A*. I might retake physics but I'm not sure if it's necessary.

VR: 700
QR: 720
AR: 650
(average 690)
Band 3

I would definitely suggest that your UCAS form, personal statement and academic reference demonstrate an intention to retake physics (provided your prediction is A or A* of course). Exeter pushed interview cut-off up to A*A* and Plymouth may very well do the same anytime soon. League tables measure (rather ridiculously) tariff points on entry (Plymouth's are higher than Exeter hence their superior rankings at the moment) so med schools want to push this figure up and predictions are their cheapest powerful weapon to help achieve this.
Once offers are (hopefully, big fingers crossed) in the bag you can make a final decision on whether or not you need to resit physics depending on which med schools give you offers and what they require you to achieve. No point jettisoning physics before this is in your best interests..?
Sorry to be cold and calculating but the exams you are prepared to sit/resit if needs be and the ones you end up actually sitting are not necessarily the same thing…
When my daughter applied to Plymouth as a resitter she researched this and determined that she had to do 2 A levels (not just one resit) or else carry a full-time job whilst studying for her resit so she opted to take her art AS to A2 in the same year that she resat Chem. I don't know whether it was crucial but it ended up happening for her in the end and her offer was only for an A in Chem (she is a second year Peninsula student now) she continued Art A2 out of passion not necessity.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 531
Original post by Dr Gin
I would definitely suggest that your UCAS form, personal statement and academic reference demonstrate an intention to retake physics (provided your prediction is A or A* of course). Exeter pushed interview cut-off up to A*A* and Plymouth may very well do the same anytime soon. League tables measure (rather ridiculously) tariff points on entry (Plymouth's are higher than Exeter hence their superior rankings at the moment) so med schools want to push this figure up and predictions are their cheapest powerful weapon to help achieve this.
Once offers are (hopefully, big fingers crossed) in the bag you can make a final decision on whether or not you need to resit physics depending on which med schools give you offers and what they require you to achieve. No point jettisoning physics before this is in your best interests..?
Sorry to be cold and calculating but the exams you are prepared to sit/resit if needs be and the ones you end up actually sitting are not necessarily the same thing…
When my daughter applied to Plymouth as a resitter she researched this and determined that she had to do 2 A levels (not just one resit) or else carry a full-time job whilst studying for her resit so she opted to take her art AS to A2 in the same year that she resat Chem. I don't know whether it was crucial but it ended up happening for her in the end and her offer was only for an A in Chem (she is a second year Peninsula student now) she continued Art A2 out of passion not necessity.

Hey, thanks a lot for getting back to me!
My only problem with Physics is it has this year changed to a new syllabus, and so I would be retaking privately. I'm not sure my teachers can predict me anything in it? It was an A grade prediction last year so I assume they could use that? Making my predicted effectively A*AAA.
Ahh okay that's useful to know, I read into Exeter and my understanding was that they tiered you on your grades (If you had known grades, they were a tier up from predicted grades), then made subsequent UKCAT cutoffs for each before inviting the rest to interview? Surely they're not allowed to advertise AAA entry requirements if they require A*A*A minimum?
That's a very good point, probably best to wait and see what they want before I write anything off. I am more than happy/prepared to take both and I think, like you said, it is a good idea to advertise my interest in doing both.
Yeah Plymouth seem to want you to do something alongside your retake, but the fact I'm doing AS+A2 like your daughter and that's what they made their offer to her based on seems promising!
Congratulations to your daughter for getting in! Do you mind me asking what she achieved before she resat?
Original post by Cal 1
Hey, thanks a lot for getting back to me!
My only problem with Physics is it has this year changed to a new syllabus, and so I would be retaking privately. I'm not sure my teachers can predict me anything in it? It was an A grade prediction last year so I assume they could use that? Making my predicted effectively A*AAA.
Ahh okay that's useful to know, I read into Exeter and my understanding was that they tiered you on your grades (If you had known grades, they were a tier up from predicted grades), then made subsequent UKCAT cutoffs for each before inviting the rest to interview? Surely they're not allowed to advertise AAA entry requirements if they require A*A*A minimum?
That's a very good point, probably best to wait and see what they want before I write anything off. I am more than happy/prepared to take both and I think, like you said, it is a good idea to advertise my interest in doing both.
Yeah Plymouth seem to want you to do something alongside your retake, but the fact I'm doing AS+A2 like your daughter and that's what they made their offer to her based on seems promising!
Congratulations to your daughter for getting in! Do you mind me asking what she achieved before she resat?

She was originally predicted A*AA but achieved AAB. At resit her total predictions were A*A*AA and she achieved A*A*AA but in a different subject combination to the prediction. Good luck!
Hi Guys,

Would really appreciate some advice. I have A*A*A* at a-level in chemistry, biology and religious studies respectively. the religious studies grade was achieved as a re-sit.
UKCAT was not great: 670 average
VR: 650
QR: 670
AR: 690
SJT: Band 1

Can anyone give me advice as to whether I can apply for Plymouth and Exeter?

Thanks a lot! :smile:
Reply 534
Original post by samrosenwalker
Hi Guys,

Would really appreciate some advice. I have A*A*A* at a-level in chemistry, biology and religious studies respectively. the religious studies grade was achieved as a re-sit.
UKCAT was not great: 670 average
VR: 650
QR: 670
AR: 690
SJT: Band 1

Can anyone give me advice as to whether I can apply for Plymouth and Exeter?

Thanks a lot! :smile:

Your grades are amazing so that's never going to be the issue!

Your UKCAT is above average too, so don't stress about that. The average is usually about 630 ish, give or take about 10. Loads of people on TSR say they've "done badly" when their scores are 700+ and in the top couple of percentiles, so I would generally avoid paying much attention to them! If in doubt, have a look here at the results so far for this year:

https://www.themedicportal.com/interim-ukcat-average-scores-for-2017-entry/

You should be fine applying to Plymouth. My only concern, if I was going to try and pick out any, is that your QR is quite close to their cutoff. I only say that as it has been creeping up over the past few years. Having said that, it seems to have peaked at 650. For that reason you should be fine as I doubt it'll go up above 670,but it's just something to think about!

Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by Cal 1
Your grades are amazing so that's never going to be the issue!

Your UKCAT is above average too, so don't stress about that. The average is usually about 630 ish, give or take about 10. Loads of people on TSR say they've "done badly" when their scores are 700+ and in the top couple of percentiles, so I would generally avoid paying much attention to them! If in doubt, have a look here at the results so far for this year:

https://www.themedicportal.com/interim-ukcat-average-scores-for-2017-entry/

You should be fine applying to Plymouth. My only concern, if I was going to try and pick out any, is that your QR is quite close to their cutoff. I only say that as it has been creeping up over the past few years. Having said that, it seems to have peaked at 650. For that reason you should be fine as I doubt it'll go up above 670,but it's just something to think about!

Hope that helps :smile:

Wow, thank you so so much for that. I'm always so overwhelmed when people can be bothered to give such a detailed reply- really appreciate it. Fingers crossed the cut off for QR won't be higher than 670!
Reply 536
Wow, thank you so so much for that. I'm always so overwhelmed when people can be bothered to give such a detailed reply- really appreciate it. Fingers crossed the cut off for QR won't be higher than 670!

No problem at all, same here so I know what it's like! :smile: Like I said, I honestly think worst case scenario would be it becoming 670, and I'm not even confident that's likely. Even if it did, you'd still be fine! That's just me being super picky anyways.

If in doubt, check the website I linked you once the UKCAT series is finished for this year (I think on the 5th maybe?).
Edit: Check here, they update for final deciles on the 7th:

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/2016%20Preliminary%20Mean%20Scores%20150916.pdf

You can see if QR averages have risen a lot since last year to help judge whether Plymouth's cut off is likely to go up, stay the same, or drop for each section.

Academically you're a strong applicant, so provided you've got some decent stuff in your personal statement I'd be very surprised for them to not interview you (hopefully see you there!). Hope that helps!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 537

Also, maybe worth looking into Exeter Medical School... You would be a very strong candidate for them with your grades. They seem to take almost everyone with A*A*A* or A*A*A to interview.
Hi all,

I am planning to apply to medicine at Plymouth for 2017 entry.. I heard from friends today that Plymouth is not GMC registered yet.
Is this true?
If it is, to what extent does this affect the medical degree?
I do not have any knowledge on this and would appreciate any inputs.
Thanks in advance.
Original post by First choice
Hi all,

I am planning to apply to medicine at Plymouth for 2017 entry.. I heard from friends today that Plymouth is not GMC registered yet.
Is this true?
If it is, to what extent does this affect the medical degree?
I do not have any knowledge on this and would appreciate any inputs.
Thanks in advance.

This is what they said in an email. I have no idea what it mean....
At the end of the undergraduate course you will receive your MB ChB (or equivalent) degree, which is a primary medical qualification (PMQ). Holding a PMQ entitles you to provisional registration with the General Medical Council, subject only to its acceptance that there are no Fitness to Practise concerns that need consideration. Provisional registration is time limited to a maximum of three years and 30 days (1125 days in total). After this time period your provisional registration will normally expire. Provisionally registered doctors can only practise in approved Foundation Year 1 posts: the law does not allow provisionally registered doctors to undertake any other type of work. To obtain a Foundation Year 1 post you will need to apply during the final year of your undergraduate course through the UK Foundation Programme Office selection scheme, which allocates these posts to graduates on a competitive basis. So far, all suitably qualified UK graduates have found a place on the Foundation Year 1 programme, but this cannot be guaranteed, for instance if there were to be an increased number of competitive applications from non-UK graduates. Successful completion of the Foundation Year 1 programme is normally achieved within 12 months and is marked by the award of a Certificate of Experience. You will then be eligible to apply for full registration with the General Medical Council. You need full registration with a licence to practise for unsupervised medical practice in the NHS or private practice in the UK.

Quick Reply