The Student Room Group

Would you consider becoming a vegetarian?

Scroll to see replies

I eat lots of sugars and lots of fat to make up for the lack of meat!
I eat plant-based food when I'm at Uni and it's fine. I don't crave meat at all, probably because my family eats vegetarian stuff most of the time and less meat.
However, my parents don't agree with me having no meat/dairy/eggs, so I eat like I used to when I go back home.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Spratty
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm Indian and I've hardly ever had issues from being vegetarian. Our food is high in many spices that aid your body like tumeric. Western vegetarianism is tasteless and crap for your body.

The raw vegan diet consisting of raw fruits and vegetables sounds like it's healthy, and not crap for your body.

Original post by Idunno99
Yessssss! Alooo paranthas, Samosas, Dahi bhalla, tikki, naan, kadhai paneer, idli and with so many endless choices, we just dont need to touch meat ever. I've been vegan all my life ( religious reasons aside) also coz i never had to eat meat related stuff, considering indian vegan food is tastier than Meat stuff. Yes western vegetarianism is totally crap, likee ewww lack of taste, they just dont know how to make tasty vegan food like us.

Milk, Yoghurt, Ghee, Butter and Paneer are dairy, therefore vegetarian and not vegan. Vegan is no meat, dairy, eggs or honey. How can you say vegetarian food is better when you've never eaten meat throughout your life? You can't make that comparison
been a vegetarian for the past three weeks , i am planning to stay a vegetarian for the rest of my life .. its not that easy ...

i have a smoking habit too .. i am going to quit that too very soon
I'm already a vegetaran.
Original post by Eternalflames
The raw vegan diet consisting of raw fruits and vegetables sounds like it's healthy, and not crap for your body.

Milk, Yoghurt, Ghee, Butter and Paneer are dairy, therefore vegetarian and not vegan. Vegan is no meat, dairy, eggs or honey. How can you say vegetarian food is better when you've never eaten meat throughout your life? You can't make that comparison

Well i got into a bet with my sadist headmaster over a cricket match because of my inflated ego last year which resulted in me cooking chicken and fish with staff every night from 8- 12 , Running 10 km after being woken up at 3 am every day accompanied and tortured by a physical instructor
while wearing full military gear and carrying a unloaded assault rifle on my shoulder for a week

Soo yeah i had some one day and i very much regretted , i definitely did not like it, felt like it was not worth it and felt extremely guilty for a long time...
(edited 7 years ago)
Well i got into a bet with my sadist headmaster over a cricket match because of my inflated ego last year which resulted in me cooking chicken and fish with staff every night from 8- 12 ,for one weak, Running 10 km after being woken up at 3 am every day accompanied and tortured by a physical instructor
while wearing full military gear and carrying a unloaded assault rifle on my shoulder for a week

Soo yeah i had some one day and i very much regretted , i definitely did not like it, felt like it was not worth it and felt extremely guilty for a long time...

Just one day, yeah got the idea that you tried it and for whatever reason didn't like it. That's not the same as someone who grew up eating both meat and vegetarian dishes. Only those people can say that meat or veg dishes taste better
(edited 7 years ago)
mate, im already suffering by being allergic to chicken and having to eat it only once a year
stopping meat for good??
id rather be shot thank you very much
I was vegetarian in my teens. Now I like my steak so rare it's still mooing. I could do it again, but I don't want to. I love the textures and flavours of meat.
Original post by Eternalflames
Just one day, yeah got the idea that you tried it and for whatever reason didn't like it. That's not the same as someone who grew up eating both meat and vegetarian dishes. Only those people can say that meat or veg dishes taste better

Alright
But its still going to vary from person to person a lot . I was just trying to say that Indian vegetarian food is pretty good
(edited 7 years ago)
Alright
But its still going to vary from person to person a lot . I was just trying to say that Indian vegetarian food is pretty good

That it is, I'm Indian too and the sabzi my mum makes :heart:
I don't think it's a good idea to come to something because of ideology or religion, you should reach a conclusion based on your research or study. I don't see any reason to see humans consume as much meat as they do. I wouldn't call myself a vegetarian but I'd say I've reduced my meat consumption to the point where a person would almost think I'm a vegetarian, I have meat around 2-3 times a week (can't resist bacon).

I think we do need a BIT of (or byte!) meat for complete nourishment but I see no reason why humans particularly in developed countries need to eat it as much as they do. The typical justification I get for people eating as much meat as they do is "nourishment". A cursory look at the medical literature would tell you their reasoning BS. We only need meat in small quantities, the majority of Brits just overdose on the stuff: excess protein for the sedentary people that we are while we **** out the rest.

It's wasteful when you consider the ecological and economical aspect also. I'm fairly convinced having looked at the medical literature that it's feasible to live healthily on a vegetarian diet for the vast majority of the population, I'm not convinced that veganism is healthy. There are the odd few people that can't be healthy on a vegetarian or vegan diet. I'm not "religiously" bound to vegetarianism but I'm convinced that it's far superior ethically, economically and ecologically, nothing wrong with the odd scrap or two, our physiology demands it.
Original post by MasterJack
I don't think it's a good idea to come to something because of ideology or religion, you should reach a conclusion based on your research or study. I don't see any reason to see humans consume as much meat as they do. I wouldn't call myself a vegetarian but I'd say I've reduced my meat consumption to the point where a person would almost think I'm a vegetarian, I have meat around 2-3 times a week (can't resist bacon).

I think we do need a BIT of (or byte!) meat for complete nourishment but I see no reason why humans particularly in developed countries need to eat it as much as they do. The typical justification I get for people eating as much meat as they do is "nourishment". A cursory look at the medical literature would tell you their reasoning BS. We only need meat in small quantities, the majority of Brits just overdose on the stuff: excess protein for the sedentary people that we are while we **** out the rest.

It's wasteful when you consider the ecological and economical aspect also. I'm fairly convinced having looked at the medical literature that it's feasible to live healthily on a vegetarian diet for the vast majority of the population, I'm not convinced that veganism is healthy. There are the odd few people that can't be healthy on a vegetarian or vegan diet. I'm not "religiously" bound to vegetarianism but I'm convinced that it's far superior ethically, economically and ecologically, nothing wrong with the odd scrap or two, our physiology demands it.

the average man needs around 56g of protein a day, 100g chicken breast contains around 31g protein, unless you get your protein from somewhere else its reasonable
Original post by Spratty
"Nothing will benefit health and increase the chances of survival of life on earth as the evolution to a vegetarian diet" -Einstein
I've been vegetarian all of my life through religious reasons.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to impose or force you to be vegetarian, I just want your opinions.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1475952251.782191.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been vegetarian since march this year :smile:
Reply 135
Damn this half arsed thread that I created. So many replies
Original post by Spratty
Damn this half arsed thread that I created. So many replies

I've been a vegetarian for 16 years. I love it. It's also because I hate the sight of meat and dead animals. Even McDonald's makes me a bit quesy.
Reply 137
Original post by Mvine001
I've been a vegetarian for 16 years. I love it. It's also because I hate the sight of meat and dead animals. Even McDonald's makes me a bit quesy.

I've been vegetarian since birth :smile:
Original post by Spratty
I've been vegetarian since birth :smile:

Same here, pretty much!

:five:
Where are the angry vegans at

Quick Reply

Latest