The Student Room Group

Anyone else find it difficult to speak loud?

I don't say a lot and, as a result, I've only just discovered I seem to have an inability to speak loudly and clearly. I'm finding this quite disturbing.

Scroll to see replies

I find people usually say if they can't understand me (i used to have a S&L therapy when i was little)- at least 1/2 my life I've had people say they can't hear me its because I'm a bit shy which is mostly to do with that... I usually breath out and try and project my voice a bit more and a little louder, agree with the no idea if I'm clear or not but again I think people would say if they don't get me :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I can speak loudly but I can't shout for the life of me. If you're on the other side of a large room, I'll walk over to speak to you.

That said, I sometimes tail off and people miss the end of what I was saying. I think it's because I forget I'm talking to other people and just start voicing my thoughts under my breath for my own benefit. Especially if I go off on a tangent.
You might want to ask your gp about it and they might refer you to a speech and language therapist if it's serious. But I wouldn't worry it might just be that naturally you're not a loud person. Do you find it physically impossible to shout?
I've found it difficult to speak unloudly *(if that's a word lol)

...I've had random strangers come up to me asking if I'm angry when I talk >_>

my mum hates it as well because she says the neighbours think we're fighting

my siblings say I'm the loudest one of the bunch...my mates are just as loud so my mum wont let them in all the time...stuff like that lol
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes. The joys of being deaf. :frown:
I'm a pretty quiet person and have always disliked shouting. That being said, it takes a lot to make me shout and very few people outside my family have heard me yell. A year ago, I would only be able to speak in whispers or very quietly to people I was unfamiliar with but now I can raise my voice if needed.

Most people who hear me shout for the first time are very surprised by how loudly I can yell.

Original post by Tiger Rag
Yes. The joys of being deaf. :frown:

If you don't mind my asking, how deaf are you?
Yeah, really difficult. Knowing how loudly I'm speaking too compared to how loud I'm 'meant' to be, I just can't work it out. Also had speech therapy when I was younger, don't remember a whole lot of it though. Had a load of other hearing/ear related problems too so I don't know how much of this is a factor.
Original post by TimidPhoenix

If you don't mind my asking, how deaf are you?

Mildly in one ear. But I have other hearing problems too.

I don't notice my speech issues; but one of my friends says it's rather obvious to him.
I can't seem to shout either.
I'm the same tbh :redface:
yes.
nearly had speech therapy for it but bottled it bc i thought it wasn't a 'proper problem' so hear i am *****ing myself for my uni interviews bc i slur my words.
however nobody takes this seriously, especially disappointingly enough teachers who just tell me to 'speak up' and have no patience at all.
*loudly

But yes, me! In a noisy classroom, I just can't hear myself no matter how loud I shout.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Mildly in one ear. But I have other hearing problems too.

I don't notice my speech issues; but one of my friends says it's rather obvious to him.
I can't seem to shout either.

Ah, I see.

I'm severely deaf in both ears so find it difficult to hear my own voice and rarely notice my speech issues too. My speech issues are obvious to people around me, though. :lol:
Reply 13
Its difficult to get used to the sound of your own voice. Lol its a major fear many have. But as with many human attributes you just need to keep practicing. I assume it is similar to glossophobia or speech anxiety.
I recommend you both speak a bit slower, but clench your gut as you speak which tends to make your voice louder.
Original post by TimidPhoenix
Ah, I see.

I'm severely deaf in both ears so find it difficult to hear my own voice and rarely notice my speech issues too. My speech issues are obvious to people around me, though. :lol:

I was told it's one of those things (no matter how deaf you are) that you don't notice.
Original post by DarthRoar
I recommend you both speak a bit slower, but clench your gut as you speak which tends to make your voice louder.

Even if it gives you the facial expression of someone doing a s***.
Yes. Never come naturally to me tbh.
I have the opposite problem, I talk too much and too loudly. I do it out of nerves :frown: I suppose it's my way of trying to appear confident and bouncy when a lot of the time I'm not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yup, I can talk to anyone if it's one to one conversation, maybe 2 other people at most... I also hate saying the answers out loud in class, other than maths where I sit right at front... I also hate shouting, I can but if there is anyone in between me and you then no way in hell im gonna shout or call you loud, I'll just walk over to you and talk... my life is so ****ed up, I can't even start a conversation with someone...

Quick Reply

Latest