The Student Room Group

Should I apply to AAA universities even if I've been predicted A*AA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by SugarCoatedCart
Yup sure do, the masters course without the year in industry is AAA is what i meant. You dont really need an A* to get in.

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2017/03848/meng-chemical-engineering/#course-profile

Are you entirely sure? If you check UCAS, it says the contradictory and I also phoned up the admissions department myself and they said A*AA.
Original post by APersonYo
Are you entirely sure? If you check UCAS, it says the contradictory and I also phoned up the admissions department myself and they said A*AA.

Yea, look at the link. The courses have different ucas codes.
That is interesting. Thank you for your advice.
Where did you end up going to? I think I will stick to the AAA universities then :smile: How come you got predicted a*A*a ?

Because I got 4 As at AS level with my lowest % in any subject being 95%. A2 is harder, I did humanities so the marking was subjective and a lot of people got screwed over by English (which was my B). I didn't even get into my firm choice which wanted AAA. I went to Southampton which was my insurance and obviously not a bad uni but my firm was UCL. However, these days a LOT more people are getting into their firm choice who have missed their offer - LSE let my sister's friend in with AAB, missing her offer of AAA, which was unheard of even in 2011 when I went to uni. They are more flexible with grade requirements now so you'd need to do some research and find out whether your uni choice would still let you in if you don't get the A* grade.
Reply 45
Original post by infairverona
Because I got 4 As at AS level with my lowest % in any subject being 95%. A2 is harder, I did humanities so the marking was subjective and a lot of people got screwed over by English (which was my B). I didn't even get into my firm choice which wanted AAA. I went to Southampton which was my insurance and obviously not a bad uni but my firm was UCL. However, these days a LOT more people are getting into their firm choice who have missed their offer - LSE let my sister's friend in with AAB, missing her offer of AAA, which was unheard of even in 2011 when I went to uni. They are more flexible with grade requirements now so you'd need to do some research and find out whether your uni choice would still let you in if you don't get the A* grade.

That's a fair point. What course did you apply for? Wow, that's really tough. Quite strange how you can go from getting nearly 100 percent to a B. A levels are odd.
That's a fair point. What course did you apply for? Wow, that's really tough. Quite strange how you can go from getting nearly 100 percent to a B. A levels are odd.

Law. To be honest, English Language and Literature is an odd course and everyone in my whole year got a C in the final exam - I went to a top 25 grammar school so I find it hard to believe that some of the students who otherwise got straight A*s in A levels actually got a C in an English exam. It was even on the news because AQA said they had mucked up or something with the marking and my school told us they were going to get them all remarked so I didn't bother submitting for a remark, but then they didn't bother so I got stuck with a B. But anything like that can happen, I wasn't expecting a B at all and I was so close to the grade boundary for an A as well. Just saying anything can happen really at A level so if you're not confident now about getting an A* personally speaking from my own experience I wouldn't risk it. Sorting out stuff on results day for a uni you're not expecting to go to isn't fun, and I didn't even have to go through Clearing which sounds even more horrendous. Depends on your subjects I guess though like maths/science seem more stable in marking, humanities it's all over the place*
Reply 47
Original post by infairverona
Law. To be honest, English Language and Literature is an odd course and everyone in my whole year got a C in the final exam - I went to a top 25 grammar school so I find it hard to believe that some of the students who otherwise got straight A*s in A levels actually got a C in an English exam. It was even on the news because AQA said they had mucked up or something with the marking and my school told us they were going to get them all remarked so I didn't bother submitting for a remark, but then they didn't bother so I got stuck with a B. But anything like that can happen, I wasn't expecting a B at all and I was so close to the grade boundary for an A as well. Just saying anything can happen really at A level so if you're not confident now about getting an A* personally speaking from my own experience I wouldn't risk it. Sorting out stuff on results day for a uni you're not expecting to go to isn't fun, and I didn't even have to go through Clearing which sounds even more horrendous. Depends on your subjects I guess though like maths/science seem more stable in marking, humanities it's all over the place*

Wow, okay. That's really unfortunate. Yeah, I'm still deciding. I'm not really sure. I may discuss with my teachers or something and make a decision soonish. Problem with maths is that you need to be really practice questions in order to achieve high results.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending