The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ASTK98
Cheers, but in 2015/2016 it says they made more offers than interviews lol? Could just be an error, thanks anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

the table is showing the highest UKCAT score that received an interview and the highest score that received an offer.

so the person scoring 3310, on the old scale, didn't wind up with an offer in the end.
Original post by optimus9000
If you would like me to post a link to where you can find certain university UKCAT cut-offs, reply which uni's you want the cut-off scores for.

I will be able to find most of them but not all :smile:

Manchester please! Thanks x
Is it worth applying to st.georges with 627 score band 3? Another unis I have a chance in? Thanks
Original post by kayasparkles
Manchester please! Thanks x

Manchester -
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a100_medicine_application_statis_19#incoming-706932

The median and quartile ranges for UKCAT of those applying and accepted.

Applying :
Median = 2670.
25th Percentile = 2490.
75th Percentile = 2820.

Accepted :
Median = 2720.
25th Percentile = 2630.
75th Percentile = 2830.
(info is from 2015 entry)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by pvk19.
Is it worth applying to st.georges with 627 score band 3? Another unis I have a chance in? Thanks

historically UKCAT cut-offs have been:

Manchester -
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a100_medicine_application_statis_19#incoming-706932

The median and quartile ranges for UKCAT of those applying and accepted.

Applying :
Median = 2670.
25th Percentile = 2490.
75th Percentile = 2820.

Accepted :
Median = 2720.
25th Percentile = 2630.
75th Percentile = 2830.
(info is from 2015 entry)

Thanks! Just to clarify, for those accepted, the lowest score was 2630 and highest 2830? And by median do they mean average?
Hi Guys,

I haven't posted here, but have been following the thread very closely for the past 3 weeks- I have taken my UKCAT and I am so thankful for all your help! You really kept me going!!! I have a score of 683 and band 1, which I am quite happy about. :smile:

I have a couple of questions that are probably super obvious- apologies for being a dummy.

I graduated with a masters in English abroad and I have no UK qualifications at all. I am applying for undergrad medicine and need to do A-levels (planning to do chemistry, biology and psychology). So my quesitons are:
- do I need to do AS levels before I do A2-levels or can I just do a combined one- bottom line is I want to do just one exam in each subject and be done with it if possible
- is there an exam board in the above subjects that would be 100% exam based and no coursework required?

I know this thread is for UKCAT, but I just feel that this is "safe" group and people are very nice.

Thank you in advance!!!!
Original post by kayasparkles
Thanks! Just to clarify, for those accepted, the lowest score was 2630 and highest 2830? And by median do they mean average?

Yes median is average.
The 25th Percentile doesn't represent the smallest value.
check out the attachment :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
historically UKCAT cut-offs have been:

Just want to say you are amazing in trying to help everyone. For those that do not have the medicine connections or family with experience/ knowledge of the whole process, this forum is very helpful in providing a sounding board, thanks to people like you. Thanks again
Original post by ArtScience
Hi Guys,

I haven't posted here, but have been following the thread very closely for the past 3 weeks- I have taken my UKCAT and I am so thankful for all your help! You really kept me going!!! I have a score of 683 and band 1, which I am quite happy about. :smile:

I have a couple of questions that are probably super obvious- apologies for being a dummy.

I graduated with a masters in English abroad and I have no UK qualifications at all. I am applying for undergrad medicine and need to do A-levels (planning to do chemistry, biology and psychology). So my quesitons are:
- do I need to do AS levels before I do A2-levels or can I just do a combined one- bottom line is I want to do just one exam in each subject and be done with it if possible
- is there an exam board in the above subjects that would be 100% exam based and no coursework required?

I know this thread is for UKCAT, but I just feel that this is "safe" group and people are very nice.

Thank you in advance!!!!

You can sit all the exams in one year if you want but you won't be able to just sit one exam for each subject.
All the exam boards i know need some practical work in chemistry and biology, can't speak for psychology.
Original post by YouHaveProblems
You can sit all the exams in one year if you want but you won't be able to just sit one exam for each subject.
All the exam boards i know need some practical work in chemistry and biology, can't speak for psychology.

Thank you. I have just been on the government site regarding the new A-level structure and it says that I can skip AS-levels and go straight to A-levels in these 3 subjects. Really confused...:confused:
Original post by Charms tee
Just want to say you are amazing in trying to help everyone. For those that do not have the medicine connections or family with experience/ knowledge of the whole process, this forum is very helpful in providing a sounding board, thanks to people like you. Thanks again

Thanks! really appreciate it :smile:
Thank you. I have just been on the government site regarding the new A-level structure and it says that I can skip AS-levels and go straight to A-levels in these 3 subjects. Really confused...:confused:

Yeah normally you do three exams (one practical) for each subject at AS and then the same at A2. If you want it in one year you'll have to do them all in the same year. The new reforms sit all the exams in the same year but they no longer have a practical exam, the teacher scores their practical ability over the year and it's given as a separate grade to their overall a-level i believe. So you can sit the exams in summer. This is for AQA anyway i can't comment much on OCR or others but you can go on their websites and look at the past papers and see which units are being sat to go towards the qualification or even better just go onto their specification and look at the info, it'll tell everything.
Be aware that all past figures will not tell you what any Uni may do this year - AND (far more importantly) your overall 'score for interview' is not your UKCAT score, ie. your academic grades and your PS may be the eventual decider not your UKCAT score.
Does anyone know the number of interviews and offers given out from St Georges for 2016 entry? Will they give me this info if i ring them?
Original post by smoggie98
Does anyone know the number of interviews and offers given out from St Georges for 2016 entry? Will they give me this info if i ring them?

Yeah they will give it to you. I can't remember what they told me, but the interview to offer ratio was around 1.8 which is really good!
Original post by finchley_grove
Hi everyone,

I got a UKCAT average of 950, 16 A* GCSEs, 13 A Levels all at A**, I've spent the past 12 years as a neurology consultant and have been to the moon.

Do you think I'll have any chance of getting into medical school?

Thnx.

Have you thought of taking a gap year? The UKCAT averages are pretty high this year and your work experience isn't out of this world.....don't be disheartened if you don't get any interviews :chaplin:
Got my ack from Notts.
Hi Guys,

Thank you in advance!!!!

No, you do not need to do AS if being taken in England- under the current system, you can do a 2 year course in each of the 3 subjects to give you 3 full A Levels. Each subject with have 3 exams at the end of the 2 years and no coursework. This will be the case for all English exam boards.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TheVocalSardine
This will be the case for all UK exam boards.

No it won't.

1) These changes are not being implemented in Wales and Northern Ireland - the AS in its current format will remain and it will continue to contribute to the overall grade at A level, although it will now make a 40% contribution to the overall grade.

2) The English exam boards change to un-linked AS levels is gradual and so for the new few years some subjects will be under the old system. See https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/changes_to_a_levels_march_2014.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending