The Student Room Group

Woman kicked out of Berlin cafe for breastfeeding

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by WBZ144
There's no way of knowing for sure, but what we do know is that they would be allowed to do it. Yes, you have the right to express your own, personal beliefs but it's different if you choose to open your services to the public. The way that you conduct yourself while running a business isn't a private affair. If someone is so petty that they can't be professional and avoid discriminating against certain groups even though they know what the law is, they shouldn't be running a business. And people can express their religious beliefs just fine while running a business, as long as they are not using religion to justify discriminating against others.

How will the owner know this though? Will he/she ask all customers what their beliefs are regarding homosexuality? Moreover, the customer is not the one running a business that is open to the public.

If they say so while queuing, it's part of their religion so not serving them goes against the legislation you cited but should someone be forced to serve someone who wants them dead?
Original post by AperfectBalance
Discrimination is everywhere, with Minority quotas and companies and other entities being pressured into having a "diverse workforce" forcing quotas on women or on black people.

While I have no real problem with breastfeeding I do understand why people may feel uncomfortable and If I was in that position and I was a woman and had to breastfeed I would probably go into the toilet.

Actually, positive discrimination is against the law in the UK.

Some people are "uncomfortable" with gay couples being affectionate in public, does that mean that people should alter their lives to appease them? Such people need to grow up and stop acting squeamish over something that is completely natural and isn't unhygienic.
Original post by joecphillips
If they say so while queuing, it's part of their religion so not serving them goes against the legislation you cited but should someone be forced to serve someone who wants them dead?

Like I said, the law allows freedom of religion as long as it does not infringe on the rights of others. Saying that a certain group should be killed would amount to hate speech and inciting violence, so the owner would probably be within his/her rights to ask this person to leave. I don't believe that we have any current case law which addresses this though.
Original post by WBZ144
Actually, positive discrimination is against the law in the UK.

Some people are "uncomfortable" with gay couples being affectionate in public, does that mean that people should alter their lives to appease them? Such people need to grow up and stop acting squeamish over something that is completely natural and isn't unhygienic.

It clearly isnt, with minority quotas still existing and being heavily pressured.
Why not just fill a bottle with the milk and then feed the child through the bottle when in public places?
I find it interesting how some people are so vehemently against anti-discrimination laws, but are fine with other employment legislation that dictate what employers can or cannot do (must pay employees a minimum wage, give them holidays, sick leave and so forth). Surely employers should be allowed to make people work for free? After all, it's their business, so they should have the freedom to run it the way they want to!

Says a lot about such people.
Reply 46
Original post by WBZ144
Like I said, the law allows freedom of religion as long as it does not infringe on the rights of others. Saying that a certain group should be killed would amount to hate speech and inciting violence, so the owner would probably be within his/her rights to ask this person to leave. I don't believe that we have any current case law which addresses this though.

It's not incitement, he isn't trying to get someone to commit a crime.

There isn't actually hate speech laws in the U.K.

You have also not applied your rule consistently.
Original post by AperfectBalance
Discrimination is everywhere, with Minority quotas and companies and other entities being pressured into having a "diverse workforce" forcing quotas on women or on black people.

While I have no real problem with breastfeeding I do understand why people may feel uncomfortable and If I was in that position and I was a woman and had to breastfeed I would probably go into the toilet.

I don't know how many women's toilets you've been in but there are few ( if any) which are provided with an easy chair for breast feeding. ( You really can't breast feed easily sitting on a hard upright chair or standing up or sitting on the floor - for an hour?)

Indeed is a public toilet where you would want to be while you are breast feeding? They are often small, crowded, none too clean. If breast feeding in a public place is going to be too offensive for our public how much more offensive would it be, to be squashed in a confined space with a breast feeding mother.
Original post by WBZ144
I find it interesting how some people are so vehemently against anti-discrimination laws, but are fine with other employment legislation that dictate what employers can or cannot do (must pay employees a minimum wage, give them holidays, sick leave and so forth). Surely employers should be allowed to make people work for free? After all, it's their business, so they should have the freedom to run it the way they want to!

Yeah this is what I am saying. -.-

I am against Minority quotas and I belive the Anti discrimination laws need reworking. I said nothing about wage or sick leave
Original post by WBZ144

Yes, why not? People wouldn't work for them anyway so it's their loss. Employers shouldn't have to pay some sort of minimum wage or give people holiday time- holidays are a privilege, not a right.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by joecphillips
It's not incitement, he isn't trying to get someone to commit a crime.

There isn't actually hate speech laws in the U.K.

You have also not applied your rule consistently.

The Public Order Act covers hate speech, among other statutes. The words "hate speech" are not mentioned but it forbids the use of threatening and abusive language towards someone on the basis of a protected characteristic. A restaurant owner could very well interpret someone saying that he/she should be killed as abusive and threatening.
If anyone has a problem with a baby eating in a natural way they need to sort their priorities out. Would you rather the baby screamed and cried because it was hungry? That the mother couldn't have a normal life because she had to plan it around acceptable places to feed. I'd tell you to go back to the stone age, but even they were progressive enough to let mothers feed their babies in front of people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by squish562
Yes, why not? People wouldn't work for them anyway so it's their loss. Employers shouldn't have to pay some sort of minimum wage or give people holiday time- holidays are a privilege, not a right.

They are a right under the law. What would you term as a right and what would be considered a privilege in your eyes?

If that was what most employers started to do, people wouldn't exactly have a choice. In certain Chinese factories people are worked like dogs and get meagre salaries, yet those factories get many employees. When people need to feed themselves and their families and this is the only option they'll take it. So yes, employers should have to pay a minimum wage and grant leave to avoid the exploitation of employees.
It is a pity that the cafe in Berlin is not named- if it was I would know not to go there if I ever visit Berlin again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending