The Student Room Group

why are so many British people job snobs ? (whats wrong with being a cleaner)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by looloo2134
he now got 5 houses and ten million pounds in the bank his work paid for his degree not bad for a boy who got expel from school and started at a company as a cleaner.

This thread is obvious trolling.
Original post by Reality Check
How very vulgar.

it called working hard and being loyal to your employer.
Original post by 0to100
Obsession with a stable job and income to survive in this day and age?

Hahahaha

Well the point is those things would be more accessible to the average person if they took a route that did not involve university. I'm talking about skilled practical careers.

A person with a degree in Norse Literature and £40,000 debt will not be better off than a person who did a decent apprenticeship. Pretty simple really.
Original post by memeworksrevenge
This thread is obvious trolling.

i could give you the name of his company and then you will realized the value of hard work and that having any job is valuable
Original post by stefano865
Hahahaha

Well the point is those things would be more accessible to the average person if they took a route that did not involve university. I'm talking about skilled practical careers.

A person with a degree in Norse Literature and £40,000 debt will not be better off than a person who did a decent apprenticeship. Pretty simple really.

Your the most sensible person on here.
I am grateful to cleaners for everything that they do and keep my house clean while avoiding littering when I leave it but personally could not be a cleaner. I'm quite a germaphobe (created a thread about it) and cleaning other people's filth would make me physically sick. I have worked hard while at university, doing voluntary work and holiday jobs but would rather work in an office and back then I was fine with retail. It's nothing to do with being lazy or a snob, I'm just very squeamish.
I spent the last 2 years cleaning out septic tanks. Applied and got into university this year, but I'm British and not a "job snob".

I honestly don't understand why people have such a low opinion of their own countrymen. Sometimes I think they are just hiding their own anti- immigration thoughts behind a "but at least they do the hard jobs" story.
(edited 7 years ago)
i could give you the name of his company and then you will realized the value of hard work and that having any job is valuable

then do it
Completely agree with the OP - there is no reason, I repeat no reason, for a university graduate NOT to have any work experience. If you don't have any experience, you don't deserve the job. No exceptions.
Original post by stefano865
Hahahaha

right but do you see the state of this thread...it's pure trollery and bait...I will tentatively continue discussing this here though..

I however completely disagree with a stable income and job being more accessible for someone if they didn't go to Uni, if I read that right...normally it's the other way around. I'm not all for uni and I think the system is a sham and a scam but it's necessary unfortunately. Some practical work experience also helps not just a piece of paper saying you've been stuck at uni for 4 years.
Reply 50
Original post by #ChaosKass
Completely agree with the OP - there is no reason, I repeat no reason, for a university graduate NOT to have any work experience. If you don't have any experience, you don't deserve the job. No exceptions.

Do you not see the flaw in this logic...
Original post by 0to100
right but do you see the state of this thread...it's pure trollery and bait...I will tentatively continue discussing this here though..

I however completely disagree with a stable income and job being more accessible for someone if they didn't go to Uni, if I read that right...normally it's the other way around. I'm not all for uni and I think the system is a sham and a scam but it's necessary unfortunately. Some practical work experience also helps not just a piece of paper saying you've been stuck at uni for 4 years.

Admittedly the original message of this thread wasn't delivered in the most effective way. Whether it's trolling or not doesn't really matter seeing as some sort of intelligent discussion has been made out of it.

University degrees are effectively the new A Levels. You're right, often necessary if you want to pursue White Collar office jobs.

There are other less glamorous but far more viable opportunities out there for the average person. That is, if they are willing to ignore the stigma attached to more practical skilled careers.
Original post by oShahpo
You're brother is simply stupid, sorry. Why the f*** should work experience in cleaning or anything else be relevant to me as a STEM graduate, or even as a historian, philosopher, or any other reputable degree graduate?

Please don't you bad language shows you as being childish and having work experience is import and hopefully you get a job that you need a degree for. word of advice don't you bad language online your future employer could see it and it would stop them from employing you.
Reply 53
My brother law who growup in rented house he not greedy he work as a warehouse for 5 years on minimum wage for company than they made him line manager then local manager at £25.000 year it took him over 12 years to of hard work. Then he took a great risk and started his own company with a wife and three children under 5.

He now has over 500 people working for him some being there for over ten years and started working for £9.00 an hour not minimum wage now take home salary of £35000.

Are you even British? Or an EU national?
Don't see why there is such hostility to the thread starter imo, he's just voicing his own opinion. And on the point given, yes I personally believe that it is true. Yet it isn't as black and white as the OP makes it out to be. Most British people are not job snobs and just believe that they are capable of getting a more stable and well paying job and therefore don't want a career as a cleaner which is perfectly fine. It is those who look down on someone else for having a unskilled proffesion who are snobs.
Original post by memeworksrevenge
then do it

Alldays
Reply 56
I would never work as a cleaner for minimum wage even if that meant it would be the only job I could get.
Original post by Jee1
Are you even British? Or an EU national?

British thank
Original post by Jee1
I would never work as a cleaner for minimum wage even if that meant it would be the only job I could get.

that is just stupid and show you as a job snob that is most likely unemployable because you don't like hard graft
Reply 59
that is just stupid and show you as a job snob that is most likely unemployable because you don't like hard graft

I'm sorry but scrubbing toilets for 6.70 an hour isn't something that I will likely ever consider if the wages were higher then maybe but I'm not going to graft so hard just to get a piss poor wage for all the physical hardwork that I will put in.
Plus I have something that you're missing ambition

Quick Reply