C1 question

Given that p is a constant such that 0 < p < 1, show that the equation

px^2 + 2x + (1-p) = 0

has two distinct roots

b^2 - 4ac > 0

2^2 - 4*p*(1-p) > 0

4 - (-4p^2 + 4p) > 0

4 + 4p^2 - 4p > 0

however 4p^2 - 4p + 4 doesn't have any real roots, where did I go wrong?
Reply 1
Original post by tammio

px^2 + 2x + (1-p) = 0

has two distinct roots

b^2 - 4ac > 0

2^2 - 4*p*(1-p) > 0

4 - (-4p^2 + 4p) > 0

4 + 4p^2 - 4p > 0

Try completing the square with the discriminant
You haven't, the max value of P is 0.999.. and the smallest value is 0.0000....1, both of which when plugged into your equation result in your resulting inequality being solved hence there are 2 distinct roots, even if they are disgusting numbers.
Original post by tammio

px^2 + 2x + (1-p) = 0

has two distinct roots

b^2 - 4ac > 0

2^2 - 4*p*(1-p) > 0

4 - (-4p^2 + 4p) > 0

4 + 4p^2 - 4p > 0

do either of you do economics In really stuck on a question?
Original post by Foodatastic
You haven't, the max value of P is 0.999.. and the smallest value is 0.0000....1, both of which when plugged into your equation result in your resulting inequality being solved hence there are 2 distinct roots, even if they are disgusting numbers.

I should be more clear. Your inequality states that p^2 - p + 1 > 0, any value for P will result in a positive number hence the quadratic is solvable.
I do economics, I can help hopefully
Original post by Fairy5eva
do either of you do economics In really stuck on a question?
Reply 6

Thanks very much
IMG_0098.jpg
I do economics, I can help hopefully

Do you know how to do b and c?
IMG_0098.jpg

Do you know how to do b and c?

Not too sure, I suspect we do different exam boards but I think for part B, the answer is £100bn as the real value should be the same as the nominal as the base rate is the first year, so inflation has no effect. GDP per head is the GDP per person, £100bn / population = GDP per capita (per head/person)
Not too sure, I suspect we do different exam boards but I think for part B, the answer is £100bn as the real value should be the same as the nominal as the base rate is the first year, so inflation has no effect. GDP per head is the GDP per person, £100bn / population = GDP per capita (per head/person)

Thank you, im on edexcel by the way, do you agree with these answers:IMG_0100.PNG
Thank you, im on edexcel by the way, do you agree with these answers:IMG_0100.PNG

The method seems correct but I'm not too sure with your calculations on B, I think it may be the new year divided by base year, however I'm not too sure. Economics not my strong point haha. I'm doing OCR so I won't be of much use.
The method seems correct but I'm not too sure with your calculations on B, I think it may be the new year divided by base year, however I'm not too sure. Economics not my strong point haha. I'm doing OCR so I won't be of much use.

Ahah okay, thanks anyway

Quick Reply

Latest