The Student Room Group

How to get a 20,000 pounds loan?

Hello everyone,

I am an EU student (perhaps that is where the drama lies at) with no chances of getting a loan from my home country due to their overwhelming interest fees.

To study in the UK I need a loan of approx. 20,000 pounds to cover the tuition fees and I also have no family support.

What are my loan options in the UK under the status of an EU student?

Thanks a lot

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Perhaps it is worth mentioning that the loan would be to pay for schools such as LSE, Imperial or Cass at postgrad level.
Reply 2
Original post by kasschaud
Perhaps it is worth mentioning that the loan would be to pay for schools such as LSE, Imperial or Cass at postgrad level.

You should check out the named universities web resources for funding, such as from the different research councils and charities. You may also be interested to know that the uk government are bringing in postgraduate loans to the value of 25k each for three year phds from 2018, although i'm not sure you will be eligible for this. Worth looking in to??
Hello everyone,

I am an EU student (perhaps that is where the drama lies at) with no chances of getting a loan from my home country due to their overwhelming interest fees.

To study in the UK I need a loan of approx. 20,000 pounds to cover the tuition fees and I also have no family support.

Thanks a lot

You may be eligible for a £10k post graduate loan.

You can read about if you are eligible and who cna apply here
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=22757-Postgraduate-Loan
Reply 4
Original post by john2054
You should check out the named universities web resources for funding, such as from the different research councils and charities. You may also be interested to know that the uk government are bringing in postgraduate loans to the value of 25k each for three year phds from 2018, although i'm not sure you will be eligible for this. Worth looking in to??

Thanks a lot for the input, John!
Indeed I am not sure if I am eligible for a PhD although I would love to pursue one after my masters.
I took a look on the scholarships options and truth is, there is much more opportunities when you are from a commonwealth or a 3rd world country, when you are European and with no support from your home country things start to get ugly. So being more realistic, I like the idea of a loan for the reason that I am confident I can manage to pay it back with no hassle. The only problem is that, as being a student, I have bad credit and found out that in the UK is very difficult to get such a high loan!
Reply 5
Hello everyone,

Thanks a lot

here's a link to the £25k loan i was talking about...

http://www.ukcge.ac.uk/article/phd-loans-of-25k-on-offer-from-2018-19-296.aspx
Reply 6
Indeed I am not sure if I am eligible for a PhD although I would love to pursue one after my masters.
I took a look on the scholarships options and truth is, there is much more opportunities when you are from a commonwealth or a 3rd world country, when you are European and with no support from your home country things start to get ugly. So being more realistic, I like the idea of a loan for the reason that I am confident I can manage to pay it back with no hassle. The only problem is that, as being a student, I have bad credit and found out that in the UK is very difficult to get such a high loan!

It is worth building your credit rating before any kind of credit application. I can help you with this as well, if you are interested? It won't happen overnight though. Try to take out a credit card for people with poor credit in your home country, and then use this sensibly for about six months, without making any more credit applications, in order to see your score improve okay?
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
You may be eligible for a £10k post graduate loan.

You can read about if you are eligible and who cna apply here
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=22757-Postgraduate-Loan

Thanks, 999tigger!
I've checked this out and well, I actually need 30,000 loan and I already deducted the 10,000 I could get from student finance, haha!

It really pisses me off the situation we students are in, nowadays!
It drives me crazy how the ones with less resources are just restrained from education, which should be a human right!

You will not get a loan in the UK as you have no toes here and they would have to pursue you abroad for repayment if you defaulted. They simply dont know you. You would have more chance getting a loan in your own country.

There are good reasons why some of the scholarships are fro commonwelath countries. Which EU country are you from?
Thanks, 999tigger!
I've checked this out and well, I actually need 30,000 loan and I already deducted the 10,000 I could get from student finance, haha!

It really pisses me off the situation we students are in, nowadays!
It drives me crazy how the ones with less resources are just restrained from education, which should be a human right!

Why do you need £30,000?
You're picking expensive universities...Fees for Imperial, at least the departments I've seen span 27- 31k in overseas tuition fees alone
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
here's a link to the £25k loan i was talking about...

http://www.ukcge.ac.uk/article/phd-loans-of-25k-on-offer-from-2018-19-296.aspx

Very interesting, I really did not know that, thanks a lot! If it is not useful for now, it definitely will for later :smile:

It is worth building your credit rating before any kind of credit application. I can help you with this as well, if you are interested? It won't happen overnight though. Try to take out a credit card for people with poor credit in your home country, and then use this sensibly for about six months, without making any more credit applications, in order to see your score improve okay?

Thanks a lot John, could you tell me more about the credit card thing? Do you think that doing it in another country could help me with a better loan in the UK?

Actually what I would also like to know, is what is the best private loan out there in the UK, with the most affordable interest rates for students (the interest rates I've been seeing lately are completely absurd)
Very interesting, I really did not know that, thanks a lot! If it is not useful for now, it definitely will for later :smile:

Thanks a lot John, could you tell me more about the credit card thing? Do you think that doing it in another country could help me with a better loan in the UK?

Actually what I would also like to know, is what is the best private loan out there in the UK, with the most affordable interest rates for students (the interest rates I've been seeing lately are completely absurd)

please tell me which country you are from first? is it germany? you need to check your credit reports with experian, equifax and callcredit, although i'm not sure if you can get them from where you are??
Btw George Osborne is no longer Chancellor. Not everything he proposed will happen imo.

What country are you from?
What security can you offer?
How long have you lived here?

All good reasons why most will have little interest in laoning you £20,000.
Reply 14
You will not get a loan in the UK as you have no toes here and they would have to pursue you abroad for repayment if you defaulted. They simply dont know you. You would have more chance getting a loan in your own country.

There are good reasons why some of the scholarships are fro commonwelath countries. Which EU country are you from?

I understand, indeed. My partner (French) is moving to the UK for work, though, she got a proposal from her US firm to move from Paris to London, and we are not making plans of moving to the UK just for a couple of years; we actually have a life plan together. But of course banks do not care about that, you are absolutely right! Haha!

I am from Estonia with Estonian, Danish and Spanish citizenship.
Estonia does not have an interesting loan offer for a person wanting to study abroad, specially at those high amounts. My next step is to actually try to find a suitable loan here in Estonia, but for what I have been screening it is very complicated.
Spain does not give me absolutely anything in that sense since I do not live nor study there nor have a bank account or whatsoever in Spain.
Same situation with Denmark, I also have no ties there, therefore banks also "do not know me"....
I understand, indeed. My partner (French) is moving to the UK for work, though, she got a proposal from her US firm to move from Paris to London, and we are not making plans of moving to the UK just for a couple of years; we actually have a life plan together. But of course banks do not care about that, you are absolutely right! Haha!

I am from Estonia with Estonian, Danish and Spanish citizenship.
Estonia does not have an interesting loan offer for a person wanting to study abroad, specially at those high amounts. My next step is to actually try to find a suitable loan here in Estonia, but for what I have been screening it is very complicated.
Spain does not give me absolutely anything in that sense since I do not live nor study there nor have a bank account or whatsoever in Spain.
Same situation with Denmark, I also have no ties there, therefore banks also "do not know me"....

If you are not making plans for a couple of years then we could have left the EU by 2020.
Reply 16
Why do you need £30,000?

LSE's fees are at £32,880 for the next academic year, Imperial at £32,000 and Cass at £27,000.

I can get that 10,000 loan from the UK indeed, but then I still have left around 20,000 to figure out...

Original post by hezzlington
You're picking expensive universities...

It also overwhelms me how much it costs to study Finance nowadays. It is like that all over Europe: I am also applying for HEC Paris and the tuition fees are at 30,000. The difference is that in France they offer very good complete student loans for EU students at very good interest rates.

Most of the greatest universities cost a fortune nowadays, of course I could go to study somewhere cheaper but I think it would be such a waste when I could learn from these great institutions (and the UK have many) after many years of hard work, a 95% GPA and a summa cumlaude. :frown:
LSE's fees are at £32,880 for the next academic year, Imperial at £32,000 and Cass at £27,000.

I can get that 10,000 loan from the UK indeed, but then I still have left around 20,000 to figure out...

It also overwhelms me how much it costs to study Finance nowadays. It is like that all over Europe: I am also applying for HEC Paris and the tuition fees are at 30,000. The difference is that in France they offer very good complete student loans for EU students at very good interest rates.

Most of the greatest universities cost a fortune nowadays, of course I could go to study somewhere cheaper but I think it would be such a waste when I could learn from these great institutions (and the UK have many) after many years of hard work, a 95% GPA and a summa cumlaude. :frown:

Have you considered the living costs of London? Especially since those tuition fees are only going to rise over the next few years - as is the cost of goods.
Reply 18
please tell me which country you are from first? is it germany? you need to check your credit reports with experian, equifax and callcredit, although i'm not sure if you can get them from where you are??

I am from Estonia!
But I have only lived here for 3 years, as I have lived in different countries, so there is literally no country that I have lived for more than 5 years...
Reply 19
Original post by hezzlington
Have you considered the living costs of London? Especially since those tuition fees are only going to rise over the next few years - as is the cost of goods.

Yes, my partner will take care of the living costs - so I do not need to worry with housing, and I have money saved to afford the other daily expenses. The problem is the huge tuition fees and the schools not offering a single financing plan to students!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending