The Student Room Group

Does it affect you on your CV / Job Applications if your degree is changed/cancelled?

For example, say you've done BSc Industrial Relations at a good university in 2010, and such programme is no longer available but instead has BSc Human Resource Management in its place.

Another example could be the rename from something like Politics, Economics and Diplomacy to something like Politics and IR, or the convergence of programmes like Accounting & Management [whereas say you have studied only Management].

How does that affect you on your CV / Job Applications?

Renaming / Remarketing / Rebranding university courses is a common practice at many institutions - does that say something about the degree programme? Just look at the least of MSc courses available at the LSE / HEC Paris / LBS / WBS which have now been cancelled despite being available for years - and their alumni is doing great.
How the heck would an employer know and why would they care anyway? You seem to be seriously hung up on the issue of degree courses ending. Do you get similarly worked up when M&S change their clothes ranges? Fashions change and the demand for many degree courses changes, its normal and there is no conspiracy behind it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by threeportdrift
How the heck would an employer know and why would they care anyway? You seem to be seriously hung up on the issue of degree courses ending. Do you get similarly worked up when M&S change their clothes ranges? Fashions change and the demand for many degree courses changes, its normal and there is no conspiracy behind it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fine, so would you say it doesn't matter at all? I thought recruiters check the courses and their content. I am thinking of high end jobs.

If this doesn't matter then what should I focus on? Reputation of institutions, study areas? What would you say are the top important things. I know that experience and skills matter more, but just in terms of education / degrees. And was that analogy to M&S really appropriate?
(edited 7 years ago)
Just NO.
Original post by HANNAHBENLOLO
Fine, so would you say it doesn't matter at all? I thought recruiters check the courses and their content. I am thinking of high end jobs.

If this doesn't matter then what should I focus on? Reputation of institutions, study areas? What would you say are the top important things. I know that experience and skills matter more, but just in terms of education / degrees. And was that analogy to M&S really appropriate?

If they're bothered they can phone the uni and check whether a course of that name was run in the period you claim to have been there.

It isn't a big deal.

They are nowhere near bothered and don't have the time to go looking up details like this. They are processing literally hundreds of applications for each single vacancy. They look at everything and everything (including University reputation TSR!) carries a degree of weight. How much weight depends of the character of HR and the company culture.
Put what you did on your CV. It has the advantage of being true. If the prospective employer asks, you can explain.
Original post by 999tigger
Just NO.

Okay lol I just cannot understand why you would all think it's so obvious that I should not even ask that -___- Why would it be so obvious?
Okay lol I just cannot understand why you would all think it's so obvious that I should not even ask that -___- Why would it be so obvious?

There is no harm in asking. For once I was being short and to the point instead of explaining all the reasons why.

Because an employer is sitting with 100 applications that they need to whittle down to 6 maximum to interview. That's going to take them hours, just to do through the applications/CVs and score them, when 90% could do the job, but they have to select 6% or less. There's just no way you ever do anything additional like randomly decide to see if a degree course is still running - it's a completely random thought to have as an employer, and anyway, it doesn't matter. You were awarded a degree at the time you were awarded a degree.

Why do you think it would matter? Why wouldn't loads of other things be more relevant - you studied Classics at Cambridge - but were you taught by Mary Beard? Because surely the quality of the actual lecturers you had might be important? What were your University's regulations on rounding up grades? because did you get a 70+ first or a 69.7 first?
Original post by threeportdrift
Because an employer is sitting with 100 applications that they need to whittle down to 6 maximum to interview. That's going to take them hours, just to do through the applications/CVs and score them, when 90% could do the job, but they have to select 6% or less. There's just no way you ever do anything additional like randomly decide to see if a degree course is still running - it's a completely random thought to have as an employer, and anyway, it doesn't matter. You were awarded a degree at the time you were awarded a degree.

Why do you think it would matter? Why wouldn't loads of other things be more relevant - you studied Classics at Cambridge - but were you taught by Mary Beard? Because surely the quality of the actual lecturers you had might be important? What were your University's regulations on rounding up grades? because did you get a 70+ first or a 69.7 first?

Okay I guess you are right.
Original post by J-SP
Because your qualification doesn't expire just because the course does. Your degree remains constant while things around it change.

Plus degree titles are often deceptive anyway. If employers do care about your degree they are going to look far more closely at the content of it rather than the title (modules studied/grades within modules).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Am assuming that was for the OP ?

No worries its just flashes up in my notification.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending