The Student Room Group

Biochemistry, Biomedical and Biological Science Applicants 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by valbrechts
True. Its strange but im so excited to send mine. Cant wait to see if I get offers or not. Good luck to you !!:smile:

I know what you mean - it is kind of exciting! I'm so nervous though :o::smile:
Genetics counts as biochem right??? Aloha <3
Applying to Swansea, Aberystwyth, Chester (?), Liverpool, UEA
Reply 62
Hey guys I'm hoping to do biology next year. Since the open day bath is the uni I'm most drawn to, but I'm slightly worried about my grades and stuff.
GCSE: 4A 7B
AS:AAAEbio, history, psych, and Failed chem😔)
Predicted:A*AA
I have work experience at pfizers and in a pharmacy also. Do you think I have a good chance?
Reply 63
Genetics is not solely a biochem subject but it is studied as part of most biochem courses. There is just a biochem perspective that can be taken as genetics is a very multidisciplinary subject - it can be studied on a population level, a molecular biology level etc.
If i've written a biochemistry personal statement but i'm applying for Durham natural sciences (joint honours biology and chemistry), would i need to submit a substitute personal statement? is it possible to ask them? thanks
Original post by biologybuddy
If i've written a biochemistry personal statement but i'm applying for Durham natural sciences (joint honours biology and chemistry), would i need to submit a substitute personal statement? is it possible to ask them? thanks

I'm in exactly the same situation. All the information is here:

https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/study/apply/ucas/personalstatement/substitute/

I can't see the problem of having to change the personal statement as it is still biology and chemistry. I was considering applying for the Biosciences MBiol as well as Nat Sci(Bio and Chem), but I'm not completely certain yet.
Hello, i'm applying for biochem 2017 entry as well!
GCSE Grades - 10A* 2A 1B
AS Grades - AAB (bio, chem, maths)
A2 Predictions - A*AA
Universities - st andrews, birmingham, york, manchester, queen's belfast
Reply 67
Original post by heycupcake
Hello, i'm applying for biochem 2017 entry as well!
GCSE Grades - 10A* 2A 1B
AS Grades - AAB (bio, chem, maths)
A2 Predictions - A*AA
Universities - st andrews, birmingham, york, manchester, queen's belfast

Hello!
It's good to see someone else applying to one of the courses I am :smile: everyone else is applying to York!
Has anyone sent their application yet?
Original post by _wsburn
I'm in exactly the same situation. All the information is here:

https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/study/apply/ucas/personalstatement/substitute/

I can't see the problem of having to change the personal statement as it is still biology and chemistry. I was considering applying for the Biosciences MBiol as well as Nat Sci(Bio and Chem), but I'm not completely certain yet.

Yeah I've written about cell biology and a bit on organic chemistry in my Personal Statement.

Also, have you read this:

https://www.dur.ac.uk/natural.sciences/faq/chem/

They talked about it on the open day and it may be worth a read.
I'm applying for biomedical sciences at
York
Surrey
Queen's Belfast
University of Ulster
And also for medicinal chemistry at St Andrews

My grades are
GCSE: 6A* 5A
AS: AABB
Predicted A2: AAB (chemistry, biology and maths) but think I can get AAA

Does anyone know if these unis interview applicants?? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 70
Sorry to be that straight foward but you are unlikely to get an offer with a B(without an A* prediction) in chemistry.
Reply 71
Im applying for Biological Science but haven't sent off my UCAS yet as I can't decide on my 5 final choices!
So far I'm considering Exeter, Bath, Lancaster, Surrey, Sussex, Southampton, Newcastle, Leeds, Glasgow, Durham and probably loads I've forgot!! Lol
I got 9A* and 1A at GCSE
AAAA at AS Level (Biology, Chemistry, Geography and Home Ecomomics)
I'm predicted AAA at A2, but I've dropped chemistry so that limits off most of the Scottish and London universities!
If anyone has any advice regarding any of the above universities that would be great 😃
Exeter and Bath are my two favourite so far but because I'm from N. Ireland I haven't seen any of the universities yet!
Applying for biochemistry at UCL, Manchester, Liverpool & Warwick. And cellular & molecular medicine at Bristol.
Only 2 acknowledgement emails so far from UCL & Bristol!
AS: ACC
A2 predicted: A*AB in psychology, biology & chemistry.
Lots & lots of work experience & extra curricular activities :smile:
I'm interested in doing biological sciences but the only thing bothering me is what kind of job can I go into? Cause people have said that when doing biosciences you end up working as a school lab technician and that's not what I want.
Reply 74
Original post by Leandra_chk
I'm interested in doing biological sciences but the only thing bothering me is what kind of job can I go into? Cause people have said that when doing biosciences you end up working as a school lab technician and that's not what I want.

It depends how far you're willing to go in regards to postgraduate study. In most cases, particularly once you have a PhD there are chances to work in academia or in industry.
*You can apply for GSK graduate schemes or go into working for the NHS under the STP programme- both are competitive and normally postgrads with several years experience are successful. That's not to say direct from undergrad isn't possible :h:*
Which course and which universities?
I'm applying for Biological Sciences at Exeter, Bristol, Surrey, Royal Hollway and Gloucestershire (as a just in case low insurance) :smile:

I sent off my application at the beginning of this month and i so far have a low offer from Bristol (BBB) and an offer from Surrey (ABB)

Extracurricular activities?
I took part in a research project with Southampton university into the transmission of tb among cattle through badgers,
A ridiculous amount wider reading (i'm such a nerd for biological and scientific literature)
A load of different mooc's
Not sure if it's relevant but i did both my Bronze and Silver arts award (DofE for performing and creative arts pretty much) which i mentioned in my ps

Your grades?
GCSE- A*A*A*A*AAAABB
AS- didn't take any as all my subjects are linear
A2- predicted grades of AAA (Biology, Psychology and History)

Is anyone applying to the same universities or heard back from them yet? I'm kinda regretting putting Gloucestershire down as i only did it because i liked the campus and figured i would get rejected from all my other choices so wanted a uni with lower grade requirements despite it's reputation and league table score, but then Bristol gave me a really low offer which is the same as Gloucestershire so kinda wished i put Sussex instead.

I think i want to apply for NHS STP Programme and qualify as a clinical scientist, or if not, do a PhD and go into research science, and if not that then there's always teaching or postgraduate medicine etc. From what i've researched theres so much you can do with a biology degree :smile:
Hey guys!
Hope your applications are going well.

I'm applying biochemistry
GCSEs: 5A* 5A 1B
AS: AAAA (Chem, Bio, Maths, Eng lit)
A2 predicted: A*A*A
Unis: Oxford, Imperial, UCL
Extras: A LOT of reading, EPQ

How are you guys feeling? Anyone applying Biochem Oxford?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JellyfishThunder
Hey guys!

Hey! I'm applying for BSc biochemistry at UCL too. Predicted A*AB & EPQ at grade A also. And I've also done a tonne of further reading so far. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Original post by JellyfishThunder
Hey guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Biological sciences-HERE!
Original post by t.thompson22
Hey! I'm applying for BSc biochemistry at UCL too. Predicted A*AB & EPQ at grade A also. And I've also done a tonne of further reading so far. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Best of luck! Feeling confident?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending