The Student Room Group

Post graduate in Canada application?

I'm finding their websites very difficult to navigate, but my parents are moving to Canada whilst I'm finishing my degree in the UK. Whilst I was originally going to do a Masters in the UK, for accommodation benefit, I thought it might be easier to go along to Canada with my parents.

The universities I've been looking at are The University of Regina, University of Toronto, and The University of Ottawa. However, I'm confused as to if postgraduates are even accepted as international students, as well as how their courses work. As I will be a psychology graduate, it seems like their post graduate (which is 2 years) spends a year teaching psychology from scratch, which seems....eh.

But yeah, has anyone got any experience applying to Canadian universities as a postgraduate?
Original post by pierreboobvier
I'm finding their websites very difficult to navigate, but my parents are moving to Canada whilst I'm finishing my degree in the UK. Whilst I was originally going to do a Masters in the UK, for accommodation benefit, I thought it might be easier to go along to Canada with my parents.

The universities I've been looking at are The University of Regina, University of Toronto, and The University of Ottawa. However, I'm confused as to if postgraduates are even accepted as international students, as well as how their courses work. As I will be a psychology graduate, it seems like their post graduate (which is 2 years) spends a year teaching psychology from scratch, which seems....eh.

But yeah, has anyone got any experience applying to Canadian universities as a postgraduate?

I applied for PhD's at 3 Canadian unis (one of which, Toronto, you're also looking at). Toronto is very, very competitive for international students, so it's good that you've got the breadth with your other choices. Yes, postgrad international students are defnitely accepted! I'm not sure what you mean at all by "their postgraduates spend a year teaching psychology from scratch"? Do you mean, you have to take certain required courses (not at all unusual at postgrad level the world over); or that as a grad student you yourself would possibly have to teach undergraduates (more common in the US, but also somewhat common in Canada)?

Anyway, the Canadian system is relatively similar to the UK system, and is not too hard to navigate as a Brit. I see it as sort of the middle ground between the UK and US systems. Do you have specific questions about the application process - nothing about it seemed particularly confusing to me...but then I had already gone through the Master's application process in the UK, to which it was fairly similar.

I'd look at more options uni-wise, if I were you - a) you might not get in to any of them, and b) Regina seems kind of remote and not the easiest place to move to as an international student - maybe that's what you want, but personally, I'd look at some other places in bigger cities: UBC, and Simon Fraser in Vancouver; York in Toronto, MCGill and Concordia in Montreal; even Guelph and McMaster are fairly close to Toronto and not so isolated as somewhere like Regina.

Having just looked, out of interest, it appears that Toronto does not offer a standalone MA in psychology at all - you only do an MA as part of their PhD program; so, you should probably scrub them from your list. And...it looks like the same is true of Ottawa. Yeah - looking at other places, this seems to be common (UBC, and York also have combined MA/PhD programs, though York is less definite about MA applicants needing to be prospective PhD students). You need to do some research and just go through every Canadian uni that offers Master's degrees to check whether their Psychology programs offer a standalone MA - seems like your choice of places to apply may be made for you by the limited number of places that do so.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi wondering if this si still active ! hope so I am finishing of my bsc in biomedical science in the uk and like the idea of going to canada to do a msc .. i have no idea how finances work for paying tuition ext... was wondering if anyone could help pointme in the right direction thankyou.!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending