The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham English applicants for 2017 entry

Hey,

I know there's a 2017 thread already, but I haven't seen many English applicants so far. As I'm sure we're out there, I've started this thread so we can all discuss course-related stuff. :smile:

So, who else is applying? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Guys, let's get this thread going!

I can honestly say that the English course at Durham is my absolute dream course - it looks amazing!

Is anyone else on a gap year atm?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by ziggyystardust
Guys, let's get this thread going!

I can honestly say that the English course at Durham is my absolute dream course - it looks amazing!

Is anyone else on a gap year atm?

The same here - in fact, Oxbridge and Durham are my first choices (yes, joint first!) Durham is sooo great!

@ctenglish :wink:
Has anyone applied already? :smile:
I've applied to St Cuthbert's. Durham is definitely my second choice after Oxford, and seeing as the Oxford thing probably won't work out I'll be gutted if they don't give me an offer. I'm also on a gap year! :smile:
Original post by dorababy1995
Has anyone applied already? :smile:

I haven't applied yet, I hope to by early next week. I've just seen you on the Cambridge thread aha 😊
Original post by hetpiglet
I haven't applied yet, I hope to by early next week. I've just seen you on the Cambridge thread aha 😊

:wink:

Which college have you chosen?
Pleeeease tell me I'm not the only one who keeps checking track!

Has anyone who's applied already heard back from them?
Pleeeease tell me I'm not the only one who keeps checking track!

Has anyone who's applied already heard back from them?

You're definitely not the only one! Applied to St. Cuthbert's last week and got my confirmation of application on Monday. Email said it could take until January after the final UCAS deadline but that won't stop me from checking every day!
Original post by Katiejwarren
You're definitely not the only one! Applied to St. Cuthbert's last week and got my confirmation of application on Monday. Email said it could take until January after the final UCAS deadline but that won't stop me from checking every day!

The same here! I applied to St Chad's, though.

Where else did you apply?
Reply 10
ooh yes im applying to durham for english too!

i haven't decided on a college yet though - i quite like the hill colleges of st aidan's and collingwood but the english department seems pretty far from those colleges... does it actually matter though?
The same here! I applied to St Chad's, though.

Where else did you apply?

I've applied to Oxford, Reading and East Anglia and got an offer from Warwick yesterday so now it's just a waiting game for the rest of them!
Original post by Katiejwarren
I've applied to Oxford, Reading and East Anglia and got an offer from Warwick yesterday so now it's just a waiting game for the rest of them!

Congratulations!

Best of luck with Oxford, but if you don't get in, hopefully see you at Durham!
OK, I think it's time to make this thread more structured. Post your first name (optional), location (optional), predicted/achieved grades, your chosen college and why you're applying for English.

Name: Dora
Achieved grades: all 5s (the top grade in my country, so basically A*s and As)
College: St Chad's
Why I'm applying for English: It's a lifelong passion of mine - it's what I've always wanted to study.
Why Durham? I wouldn't be "blinded" by its reputation if I didn't think it's well deserved. I haven't even started the course but I'm already in love with it! I love the way it's structured, how it seems to give you a solid grounding in English literature from all periods whilst being flexible, and of course the small-group seminars and the tutorials make Durham unique.
:wink:

Which college heave you chosen?

I decided to do an open application for Oxford (decided to apply there instead instead of Cambridge) as well as for Durham. How about you?
Original post by hetpiglet
I decided to do an open application for Oxford (decided to apply there instead instead of Cambridge) as well as for Durham. How about you?

I went for Wolfson for Cambridge and St Chad's for Durham.
I went for Wolfson for Cambridge and St Chad's for Durham.

I'll find out in a couple of weeks which colleges are considering my application 😊.
Original post by litkid
ooh yes im applying to durham for english too!

i haven't decided on a college yet though - i quite like the hill colleges of st aidan's and collingwood but the english department seems pretty far from those colleges... does it actually matter though?

I don't think it does.
Hi guys :smile: How long did it take for your acknowledgement email to come through?
Original post by ziggyystardust
Hi guys :smile: How long did it take for your acknowledgement email to come through?

I got it the day after I applied! You?

Quick Reply

Latest