The Student Room Group

Could somebody explain this Algebraic Operation?

Hi,

The question:

-[3x - (2y + 3) - 3x^2] = ?

The answer I have is 6xy + 9x - 3x^2. But, I suspect this is incorrect because I'm not entirely sure what the '[ ]' brackets mean in Maths. So, for instance, is the - (2y...' part equivalent to -2y?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Original post by Exceptional
Hi,

The question:

The answer I have is 6xy + 9x - 3x^2. But, I suspect this is incorrect because I'm not entirely sure what the '[ ]' brackets mean in Maths. So, for instance, is the - (2y...' part equivalent to -2y?

Thanks

first do this part "-(2y + 3)" = -2y - 3

then multiply each term by - 1 which is the "-[ ]" part
Original post by KINGYusuf
first do this part "-(2y + 3)" = -2y - 3

then multiply each term by - 1 which is the "-[ ]" part

Thanks. Could you explain why -(2y + 3) becomes -2y - 3? And, why does '-[ ]' mean multiply each term by -1?
Thanks. Could you explain why -(2y + 3) becomes -2y - 3? And, why does '-[ ]' mean multiply each term by -1?

It's basic multiplicative distribution. The square brackets are no different from normal brackets as far as operations of arithmetic are concerned.

so think of it like this:

-( ) means -1 x each term inside the bracket

same for -[ ] it means -1 x each term inside the bracket
Don't know if this explains it...
https://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/brackets.html
brackets.PNG

imagine you had -2(2y + 3)

you multiply -2 x everything inside the bracket right?

well -(2y+3) you multiply each term inside the bracket by -1,

the "1" just isn't written
Reply 7
Hi,

The question:

Thanks

in this equation, the [ ] brackets basically say that the WHOLE equations is negative
so basically
-3x + (2y+3) + 3x2

check with someone else though, i might be wring
Original post by animeamanda1412
in this equation, the [ ] brackets basically say that the WHOLE equations is negative
so basically
-3x + (2y+3) + 3x2

check with someone else though, i might be wring

That makes sense - do I need to expand the bracket to reach the answer?
Reply 9
That makes sense - do I need to expand the bracket to reach the answer?

I'd say if you're really confident with these type of questions then you don't have to, but I always expand, better than working the whole thing out then realise you have to do eeverythingggg again because of a mistake in the signs
So does that mean the answer is -6xy - 9x + 3x^2? If not, why not?
So does that mean the answer is -6xy - 9x + 3x^2? If not, why not?

It's not. Why not, you may ask?? Well that's hard to say when I don't know where you went wrong. For example, there is no xyxy term so I don't know where you got that from in the first place. Just expand the normal brackets inside first, then the square bracket as a whole.
Original post by RDKGames
It's not. Why not, you may ask?? Well that's hard to say when I don't know where you went wrong. For example, there is no xyxy term so I don't know where you got that from in the first place. Just expand the normal brackets inside first, then the square bracket as a whole.

The same way Reality Check got it in the post before yours
Original post by Reality Check
you need to multiply the terms in the round brackets by -1

-[3x-(2y+3)-3x^2] = -[3x(-2y-3)-3x^2]

The same way Reality Check got it in the post before yours

Er, no, you distribute the -1 and it becomes a +1, it doesn't just magically disappear and you multiply two things all of a sudden.
First, multiply the round brackets by -1:

-[3x -(2y+3)-3x^2 = -[3x - 2y -3 - 3x^2]

Then multiply everything by -1 outside the square brackets:

-3x + 2y +9 + 3x^2

Then factorise where possible:

2y -3(x -x^2 -3)

I hope that's right but I'm perfectly open to being politely corrected! By the way, you haven't said what you're solving for.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest