The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ama2007
omg I still haven't received my reference................................

me too
Original post by Lostperson
me too

Me three.
Original post by NafNaf39
Where have you guys applied? :smile:

Nottingham, St George's and Swansea. Only chose 3, they were the only ones I could make financially and personally work (London isn't ideal for George's but still). 1st class in degree (biomed), plenty of work experience and just awaiting GAMSAT scores now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you guys think it would be a bad idea if I applied for both the UG and PGs at Southampton and King's? I've looked at the stats for Southampton and it seems like I have a good chance of getting an offer from them for their UG course if I don't get onto their PG course.
Original post by Hormonal
Do you guys think it would be a bad idea if I applied for both the UG and PGs at Southampton and King's? I've looked at the stats for Southampton and it seems like I have a good chance of getting an offer from them for their UG course if I don't get onto their PG course.

That depends: could you afford to do the undergrad course?

Not much point applying for both at king's by the way; they automatically consider you for the undergrad course if you're unsuccessful at interview for the grad course. So don't waste a choice. I seem to remember you have a good ukcat score, so why not apply to Newcastle? They shortlist for interview solely on the basis of ukcat, as do Southampton, so you have a pretty certain chance of two interviews straight off the bat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JenniB22
That depends: could you afford to do the undergrad course?

Not much point applying for both at king's by the way; they automatically consider you for the undergrad course if you're unsuccessful at interview for the grad course. So don't waste a choice. I seem to remember you have a good ukcat score, so why not apply to Newcastle? They shortlist for interview solely on the basis of ukcat, as do Southampton, so you have a pretty certain chance of two interviews straight off the bat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

King's don't always automatically (or is that if you don't get an interview?...) consider you and it's a university I really really want to go to. I'm considering both Newcastle and Leicester for UG courses.
(edited 7 years ago)
HELP!
Applying a 723.3 avg and SJT band 1.
I have a 1st in Medical science and currently doing an MRes.
7A/A*'s at GCSE and B in Chem A level. Plenty of WE.
Any help of where to apply for GEM course would be appreciated! I am also considering 1/2 UG to maximise chances. Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1807
Original post by Hormonal

This reply i got from Kings might help your decision:
'Although some applicants for the graduate medicine programme may be offered a place on the undergraduate course, this is rare. If you wish to be considered for both courses, it would be advisable to apply to both.'
Original post by GavinJR
This reply i got from Kings might help your decision:
'Although some applicants for the graduate medicine programme may be offered a place on the undergraduate course, this is rare. If you wish to be considered for both courses, it would be advisable to apply to both.'

Yeah I knew there was a reason why I was adamant about applying for King's twice, thanks!

Do you have any idea how much they care about 1sts for GEM? I'm going to call them on Monday anyway
Original post by Themightylaa
Nottingham, St George's and Swansea. Only chose 3, they were the only ones I could make financially and personally work (London isn't ideal for George's but still). 1st class in degree (biomed), plenty of work experience and just awaiting GAMSAT scores now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here! I had to re-do the same experience I did last year as I couldn't get any until after October. Hopefully the notion that I'm still pursing experience will bode well plus I've be HCA'ing for about 9 months which has massively helped with cementing my ambitions. Best of luck anyways, I hope my gamsat is better than last year (58) as the test was, in my opinion, easier than anticipated!
Original post by michrab123
Barts warwick and kings (both Grad +UG)

Where are you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thinking of Birmingham, Newcastle and Kings :/

Can't believe how quick this cycles come around!
Original post by Cuts92
Same here! I had to re-do the same experience I did last year as I couldn't get any until after October. Hopefully the notion that I'm still pursing experience will bode well plus I've be HCA'ing for about 9 months which has massively helped with cementing my ambitions. Best of luck anyways, I hope my gamsat is better than last year (58) as the test was, in my opinion, easier than anticipated!

If you don't mind, do you know what percentage of questions you feel like you got right in S1 and S3 to get 58 overall in the GAMSAT(which is a very good score)? I know it was a long time ago so I'll understand if you don't know.
Please could someone help me!!!!

I'm currently predicted a 1st in my degree.
A*BB at A level in Psychology, Chemistry, Biology respectively
2A* 10A gcse

I did pretty rubbish in UKCAT (630) and got an average GAMSAT score in march (58)

Are Liverpool( 4 and 5 year), Keele (5year) and Cardiff (5 year) good choices for me?

I'd really appreciate some advice.
Original post by Chocoholic20
Please could someone help me!!!!

I'm currently predicted a 1st in my degree.
A*BB at A level in Psychology, Chemistry, Biology respectively
2A* 10A gcse

I did pretty rubbish in UKCAT (630) and got an average GAMSAT score in march (58)

Are Liverpool( 4 and 5 year), Keele (5year) and Cardiff (5 year) good choices for me?

I'd really appreciate some advice.

Hey have you thought about Swansea grad med course? they accept GAMSAT and their cut off for the past few years has been around 58 :smile:
Original post by Lou1228
Hey have you thought about Swansea grad med course? they accept GAMSAT and their cut off for the past few years has been around 58 :smile:

Hey thanks for replying :smile:

Yeah i would consider Swansea but i think it might be a bit too risky because i'm scared they will increase their cut off this year :/

i think it was 59-60 this year?
Hi, does anyone know if graduate applicants get unconditional or conditional offers? If conditional, would that just be degree's final grade (1st, 2:1 etc)?
Hey thanks for replying :smile:

Yeah i would consider Swansea but i think it might be a bit too risky because i'm scared they will increase their cut off this year :/

i think it was 59-60 this year?

it says on there website 2015 it was 58 but I guess you never know it just depends how everyone has done in the test :smile:
Original post by Lou1228
it says on there website 2015 it was 58 but I guess you never know it just depends how everyone has done in the test :smile:

Yeah I had a look on the 2016 thread and a couple people were rejected with 58/59 so I don't think I will risk it.

But Thankyou for the suggestion though :smile:

Where are you applying if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, just wanted some advice!*

I have just graduated with a first class honours in Biomedical science and have good work experience (Bangladesh health clinic 6 weeks as a patient care advisor, phlebotomist *and as a volunteer in a hospital ward).

However, I have a low UKCAT of 620 average (VR:570, QR:650 AR:640 and Band 2). Also my a level grades are poor biology E, geography D and English language C. I had to do a foundation year before getting into uni...*

Do I have a chance of getting on to the A100 courses with my stats? I'm thinking of applying to Warwick, Queen Mary and Aberdeen?*

Thanks in advance! *
Yeah I had a look on the 2016 thread and a couple people were rejected with 58/59 so I don't think I will risk it.

But Thankyou for the suggestion though :smile:

Where are you applying if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

fair enough haha and I am applying to Warwick, Newcastle, Leicester and Sheffield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending