The Student Room Group

Question for graduates who are have offers for Medicine 2016

Hi

Just wondered if you applied in your final year of university or if you ended up taking a gap year and then applying?

Thanks
I applied in final year, got rejected.
I applied again whilst working and doing postgrad, got rejected.
I applied whilst working in my undergrad field and got accepted. Going to Warwick after 2 "gap years".

Apply, hope for 4 offers but plan to continue with life if it doesn't happen.
Reply 2
Original post by ssjt
Hi

Just wondered if you applied in your final year of university or if you ended up taking a gap year and then applying?

Thanks

I applied in my final year and got in. Getting plenty of work experience and a good UKCAT/GAMSAT score gives a good start.
Original post by alfresco_
Hey, do you know of any blogs going from biomed to med on wordpress at all? Mine is here and I would like to follow blogs of those in a similar situation to mine!

And can I ask why you didn't get in the first two times?

I use TSR and Reddit for all my stalking needs :biggrin: I'm also not a biomed applicant, I'm a clinical photographer.

And I had piss poor UKCAT attempts :rolleyes: Managed to go up a decile with each attempt though! I put my best score down to being relaxed, healthy and hydrated though. Good luck!
Original post by Quilverine
I use TSR and Reddit for all my stalking needs :biggrin: I'm also not a biomed applicant, I'm a clinical photographer.

And I had piss poor UKCAT attempts :rolleyes: Managed to go up a decile with each attempt though! I put my best score down to being relaxed, healthy and hydrated though. Good luck!

That sounds pretty cool. What does your job involve?

Medical stuff on Reddit?! Show me!

What were your 3 scores if I may ask?
That sounds pretty cool. What does your job involve?

Medical stuff on Reddit?! Show me!

What were your 3 scores if I may ask?

/r/premed
/r/premeduk
/r/medicalschool
/r/medicalschooluk
/r/medicine

My job is awesome. I have a few misgivings about giving it up entirely so looking for freelance and bank work. I'm a registered and qualified medical illustrator so I photograph patients mostly to illustrate their condition/s for monitoring/legal/telemedicine purposes. Most common referrals are dermatology and tissue viability then a really interesting mix from all the other specialties. I also do bereavement/PR/commercial photography and graphic design for the Trust... ah man.

2013- 687.5 (7th decile freak year because everyone for over 800 in DA)
2014- 665 (8th decile)
2015- 705 (9th decile)
/r/premed
/r/premeduk
/r/medicalschool
/r/medicalschooluk
/r/medicine

My job is awesome. I have a few misgivings about giving it up entirely so looking for freelance and bank work. I'm a registered and qualified medical illustrator so I photograph patients mostly to illustrate their condition/s for monitoring/legal/telemedicine purposes. Most common referrals are dermatology and tissue viability then a really interesting mix from all the other specialties. I also do bereavement/PR/commercial photography and graphic design for the Trust... ah man.

2013- 687.5 (7th decile freak year because everyone for over 800 in DA)
2014- 665 (8th decile)
2015- 705 (9th decile)

Awesome scores and thanks for the subreddit names!

Your job sounds pretty great to be honest
Awesome scores and thanks for the subreddit names!

Your job sounds pretty great to be honest

Thank you, sadly for GEM you need fairly high scores compared to the 5 year courses.

Hmmm although norovirus and c.diff sacrums might be considered a downside by some.... honestly I see the isolation signs and just know it's going to end in me 18 inches from the source of explosive diarrhoea.
Original post by ssjt
Hi

Thanks

I applied in my final year and have 2 offers, applied to all undergrad courses though. Know people who have got into graduate courses applying in their final year also though. I personally think having worked as an HCA in the university holidays really helped with my application. Personally wouldn't take the GAMSAT in your final year of uni, anyone I know who's considered taking the GAMSAT planned to do it in a gap year
Reply 9
Original post by ssjt
Hi

Thanks

I took a gap year and worked as a HCA. The main reason for this was that by the time that I was committed to becoming a doctor I didn't have enough time left to revise for the September GAMSAT for that cycle. To be honest, I think it worked out well; a year out of uni has given me a bit of real-world experience (it was my first 'real' job), I've earned some money which is useful, and probably most importantly, you see all sorts as a HCA, so whatever they ask at interviews there is always an example that springs to mind. In my St George's interview I don't think I mentioned anything from my other work experience, all my examples came from my HCA experiences. Besides, being a HCA is fun! You get to be on the wards, see how an actual medical team works and get heaps of patient contact- it's really an eye opener and you see a side of medicine that you can't get from a few days shadowing.
Original post by ssjt
Hi

Thanks

I'm in my final year now and I've got two offers so far. Tbh I think the major obstacle for GEM are the entrance tests, and I was lucky enough to get decent scores the first time round.
Thank you, sadly for GEM you need fairly high scores compared to the 5 year courses.

Hmmm although norovirus and c.diff sacrums might be considered a downside by some.... honestly I see the isolation signs and just know it's going to end in me 18 inches from the source of explosive diarrhoea.

How high?

Original post by Natha_Lite
I'm in my final year now and I've got two offers so far. Tbh I think the major obstacle for GEM are the entrance tests, and I was lucky enough to get decent scores the first time round.

What were your scores?
what were your scores?

ukcat - 740
gamsat - 61
Hi! Can I ask if graduate entry offers were conditional, unconditional or can be either?
Original post by jessicac316
Hi! Can I ask if graduate entry offers were conditional, unconditional or can be either?

Can be either. If you're applying with your degree already and aren't undertaking any extra a levels etc, it's usually unconditional (although some medical schools put occupational health and dbs clearance down as a conditional offer on ucas- you have to do these regardless of whether it's part of a formal offer on Ucas)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ForestCat
Can be either. If you're applying with your degree already and aren't undertaking any extra a levels etc, it's usually unconditional (although some medical schools put occupational health and dbs clearance down as a conditional offer on ucas- you have to do these regardless of whether it's part of a formal offer on Ucas)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay I'm applying with just my degree. Just worried that if it's conditional, I might stress my way through my final year along with dissertations and final exams. Thanks!!
Original post by jessicac316
Ah okay I'm applying with just my degree. Just worried that if it's conditional, I might stress my way through my final year along with dissertations and final exams. Thanks!!

if you're completing the degree in the year you apply, then it will be conditional on you achieving a certain grade in your degree (usually a 2.1)
Original post by ForestCat
if you're completing the degree in the year you apply, then it will be conditional on you achieving a certain grade in your degree (usually a 2.1)

Oh okay that makes more sense. Thanks again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending