The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE 2017 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by smiley444
Will almost everyone applying to LSE bsc economics have further maths at AS or A level because I didnt take it on and now im panicking.

People doing A-Levels usually have it. I have seen people without Further Maths getting an offer (so dont panic), but mostly have at least AS Further Maths. Also, remember that many IB students get accepted and they dont have Further Maths too. :smile:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Hello everyone!

I am applying for economics as a 27yo mature student.
Original post by Blueberry.89
Hello everyone!

I am applying for economics as a 27yo mature student.

Undergraduate or postgraduate?
With what grades are you applying?
Original post by Fbiemad
Undergraduate or postgraduate?
With what grades are you applying?

Undergraduate.

GCSE (2006): 10A* 1A

A-level (2008): AAAa in Maths*, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology AS
*Maths is grade A* using current criteria

Self-studying Economics and Maths A-level this year.
Undergraduate.

GCSE (2006): 10A* 1A

A-level (2008): AAAa in Maths*, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology AS
*Maths is grade A* using current criteria

Self-studying Economics and Maths A-level this year.

Nice
Feel free not to answer this, but what happened that after 8 years you decided to do A-levels again and apply? Interesting to be honest. :smile:

I am reapplying for Economics. Had an offer last year, but missed my offer by 0.5% (1 mark) in Economics. I got A*A*A*AB in Maths, Further Maths, Persian, Physics and Economics relatively. Studying few new AS levels this year to gain more knowledge :biggrin:
Original post by Fbiemad
Nice
Feel free not to answer this, but what happened that after 8 years you decided to do A-levels again and apply? Interesting to be honest. :smile:

I am reapplying for Economics. Had an offer last year, but missed my offer by 0.5% (1 mark) in Economics. I got A*A*A*AB in Maths, Further Maths, Persian, Physics and Economics relatively. Studying few new AS levels this year to gain more knowledge :biggrin:

I have been working all sorts from retail banking at HSBC to being a data analyst for the NHS. I am also a self-employed personal trainer.

I have an interest in airline economics and I want to enter strategy consulting as my next career move.

This requires a good degree from a Top6 uni so I decided a month ago to research and apply to Oxford, LSE, UCL and Warwick for economics. My A-levels from 2008 are fine to enter but I am taking a couple of relevant A-levels to demonstrate recent study as well as for my own benefit to hit the ground running if I get in.

Woah, I can't imagine how that must have felt :s-smilie: Having had a look at some Freedom of Information requests, LSE normally makes ~400 offers for its ~230 economics places, expecting ~50 to miss their offers and the rest to firm anther uni, usually Oxbridge. Thats probably why they are so strict but that does not make your treatment any less harsh!

I get mistaken for being Irainian a lot but cant speak a word of Persian lol.
I have been working all sorts from retail banking at HSBC to being a data analyst for the NHS. I am also a self-employed personal trainer.

I have an interest in airline economics and I want to enter strategy consulting as my next career move.

This requires a good degree from a Top6 uni so I decided a month ago to research and apply to Oxford, LSE, UCL and Warwick for economics. My A-levels from 2008 are fine to enter but I am taking a couple of relevant A-levels to demonstrate recent study as well as for my own benefit to hit the ground running if I get in.

Woah, I can't imagine how that must have felt :s-smilie: Having had a look at some Freedom of Information requests, LSE normally makes ~400 offers for its ~230 economics places, expecting ~50 to miss their offers and the rest to firm anther uni, usually Oxbridge. Thats probably why they are so strict but that does not make your treatment any less harsh!

I get mistaken for being Irainian a lot but cant speak a word of Persian lol.

It is good that you are doing those A-Levels this year, it will benefit your application. Have you applied yet or are you applying next week?

Spoiler

Yeah, it was very harsh, but I am willing to study an extra year to get into LSE, as I prefer LSE's Economics course structure more than other universities and also since I already study in London, its even more convenient to go to LSE. I wish I get another offer though :smile:.
Original post by Fbiemad
It is good that you are doing those A-Levels this year, it will benefit your application. Have you applied yet or are you applying next week?

Spoiler

Yeah, it was very harsh, but I am willing to study an extra year to get into LSE, as I prefer LSE's Economics course structure more than other universities and also since I already study in London, its even more convenient to go to LSE. I wish I get another offer though :smile:.

Applying next week, still waiting for my reference.

Thanks for the TSA info. A scaled mark of 70 puts you in the top 10% which usually equates to around 40/50 in the multiple choice and would certainly get you an interview at Oxford. Then its all down to you and you have a 1 in 3 chance to get an offer. So the TSA is crucial in getting an interview but you still need to do the business at the interview! I suspect Cambridge is the same.

I am sure you will get another offer being a stronger applicant this year. I would also would prefer LSE as I'm a ldn boy and the apparent focus on career rather than socials amongst students would suit me to a tee. I would need to be invited to sit the UGAA in March if I am to have any chance of an offer, however.
Reply 208
Just sent off my application for Economics at this uni! I don't have any further maths qualifications though :/
Hi guys, I'm applying for Anthropology and Law.
My predicted grades are ABB (because my school are being stubborn, and they easily could've been A*AA/AAA) and the offer for Anthropology and Law is AAB.
Do you think I'll still stand a chance? Considering most other aspects of my application are quite strong?

Thanks so much :smile:
Applying for Bsc Finance :smile:

I am a Singapore students studying A levels
I take Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, Economics at H2 and H3 mathematics, our teacher cannot disclose the predicted grades to us but I have faith in myself haha
Hope everyone here can get into the course that they want ! anyone also interested in Bsc Finance can PM me, lets work hard together !!
Reply 211
Original post by Leporisa

I take Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, Economics at H2 and H3 mathematics, our teacher cannot disclose the predicted grades to us but I have faith in myself haha
Hope everyone here can get into the course that they want ! anyone also interested in Bsc Finance can PM me, lets work hard together !!

I ll be applying for finance too. Im from Malaysia, but I'm taking a diploma of finance and investment instead of a levels.
Regretting it now.
So, have you apply? I'm still drafting my ps.
Original post by Mcr342
I ll be applying for finance too. Im from Malaysia, but I'm taking a diploma of finance and investment instead of a levels.
Regretting it now.
So, have you apply? I'm still drafting my ps.

yes! I am also working on my PS now. And don't worry, your PS would be very outstanding since you are exposed to finance before Uni :smile:
Reply 213
Original post by greys-anatomy
My predicted grades are ABB (because my school are being stubborn, and they easily could've been A*AA/AAA) and the offer for Anthropology and Law is AAB.
Do you think I'll still stand a chance? Considering most other aspects of my application are quite strong?

You should really try to get predicted at least AAB. Some unis automatically reject anyone whose predicted grades are below the requirements.
Original post by greys-anatomy

Its not recommended to apply with lower predictions and the entry requirement. Sometimes they automatically reject you for it. However, if your application is impressive, they might consider you since they know teachers can sometimes predict lower grades I guess...
I still recommend you to get the AAB prediction at least. If not, then if you think you are a strong candidate, then go for it. I dont know the level of competition for that course exactly.
Original post by Leporisa

Once you apply, go to UCAS and then if you want you can order your references and predictions for £10 :biggrin:
(Personally I haven't done that process, but it is possible to do it)
Has anyone who's sent their application received any sort of acknowledgement yet? I applied for economics on the 5th and haven't received anything.
Reply 217
What are the chances of getting an offer for BSc Economics (A*AA with A* in maths required) with A*AA predictions but the A* being in economics? My teachers think my personal statement is strong but it's definitely not 10/10 by any means as I don't have many things such as work experience in economics-related fields (I do have work experience in other things, though).

I also have no Further Maths.
Does anyone know whether they ask for Maths UMS for L101? If so, will they still do it if you already have your grades?

I'm applying from a gap year with:

A-Level: A*AAa (Maths/Physics/Politics/Business respectively - my school is shite and doesn't offer Economics A-Level hence Business, I also learnt all the AS Further Maths modules during A2 but didn't sit the exams as it wasn't part of my offer (elsewhere) at the time and didn't want to risk my A2 grades)
EPQ: A* (on EU federalism, large focus on international trade and monetary union aspects plus the political ramifications)
GCSE: 5A* 4A 1B (probably below average for an LSE applicant, but as I said my school is bad so this was actually the 6th highest set of results from about 225 students so I'm hoping this will work in my favour)

In my gap year I'm going to be studying A2 Further Maths and I'm also going to buy textbooks for both AS and A2 Economics and self-teach so I'm not behind, wish I'd done this earlier on tbh. Do you think just studying the units will be enough for them, or would they rather me actually sit the exams? I already have my A2s so I obviously could probably get A's, or even A*s potentially, if I did, but I don't want to run the risk of having these tagged onto offers at my other UCAS options just in case there's a disaster on results day and I end up missing it (particularly since I already meet the requirements without doing so). What do you guys think? It's clear in my reference that I will have the knowledge, but actually sitting the exams would probably look better. I'm a bit unsure as to what to do, since so many other applicants have FM and Econ A-Levels, although they aren't a necessity obviously.

Edit: For the people above, at Oxford a TSA score of 60+ will probably get you an interview for PPE, and for E&M it tends to be a bit higher at about 67ish. Offer holders usually score at least 65 for PPE, although many get 67-72+, and for E&M I assume it's similarly around 70+ for an offer. You also need to do well in the interviews, of course.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DziNe
What are the chances of getting an offer for BSc Economics (A*AA with A* in maths required) with A*AA predictions but the A* being in economics? My teachers think my personal statement is strong but it's definitely not 10/10 by any means as I don't have many things such as work experience in economics-related fields (I do have work experience in other things, though).

I also have no Further Maths.

What is the 3rd subject?
If you want an honest answer then read the spoiler. :smile:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending