The Student Room Group

High predicted grades, 'low' AS grades

My AS grades are ABBB, and my A2 predicted grades are A*AA (the B's are all one/two off of an A, the A grade achieved is in Mathematics).

I will be applying to Physics, one course with A*AA requirements, and four courses with AAA requirements. I am not doing this due to doubtfulness in my ability to achieve A*AA (I am pretty confident that I can), I just really liked the AAA universities.

My question is, will the high predicted grades make up for the uncompetitive AS grades, or will the universities still hold me under scrutiny for them?

Many thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by W. A. Mozart
My AS grades are ABBB, and my A2 predicted grades are A*AA (the B's are all one/two off of an A, the A grade achieved is in Mathematics).

I will be applying to Physics, one course with A*AA requirements, and four courses with AAA requirements. I am not doing this due to doubtfulness in my ability to achieve A*AA (I am pretty confident that I can), I just really liked the AAA universities.

My question is, will the high predicted grades make up for the uncompetitive AS grades, or will the universities still hold me under scrutiny for them?

Many thanks.

Depends where you're applying to. Bath won't care about your AS grades and will focus on your GCSE, predicted grades, reference and personal statement. I think the same applies to most universities with the exception of Cambridge.Also, out of curiosity, what was your maths UMS?Also, my cousin applied to do physics at warwick and got in with AAB, fun facts.
(edited 7 years ago)
They could think that, "this student is predicted A*AA, so why not given him/her this offer". So in the end, the chances of you getting an offer increases, but these offers could be your target grade rather than AAA.
Original post by APersonYo
Depends where you're applying to. Bath won't care about your AS grades and will focus on your GCSE, predicted grades, reference and personal statement. I think the same applies to most universities with the exception of Cambridge.Also, out of curiosity, what was your maths UMS?Also, my cousin applied to do physics at warwick and got in with AAB, fun facts.

Thanks for the reply,

My GCSE grades are AAAAAABBB, are these competitive enough for most universities?
Thanks for the reply,

My GCSE grades are AAAAAABBB, are these competitive enough for most universities?

It really depends on where you're applying too. Each university will have it's own policy. Personally, those are good GCSE results;however you may be at a slight disadvantage with Bath as they look for a majority of A* and A grades, but I do not think the impact would be so detrimental. If you tell me where you're interested in applying? I can possibly give you some insight?
Original post by Kawaii289
They could think that, "this student is predicted A*AA, so why not given him/her this offer". So in the end, the chances of you getting an offer increases, but these offers could be your target grade rather than AAA.

That's not true. My friend applied to Human Sciences at Oxford University and she was predicted 4 A*s and she still received an offer of AAA.
That's not true. My friend applied to Human Sciences at Oxford University and she was predicted 4 A*s and she still received an offer of AAA.

Yes but I bet her As levels were AAAA or better. You would tend to give a higher offer to the students achieving lower As grades with high target grades a harsher offer. As she got a predicted grade of 4A*s and prob has a superb academic record, they might like her. And so give her not so high of an offer, because they know she will do well.
It really depends on where you're applying too. Each university will have it's own policy. Personally, those are good GCSE results;however you may be at a slight disadvantage with Bath as they look for a majority of A* and A grades, but I do not think the impact would be so detrimental. If you tell me where you're interested in applying? I can possibly give you some insight?

Warwick, UCL, Nottingham, Bristol, KCL.

I know for sure that UCL is GCSE heavy but I thought i'd give it a shot anyway

Thanks for the reply.

I'm surprised, as I didn't know this happened. I don't think that I will find this too much of an issue though, as the A* for Mathematics that i'm predicted shouldn't be too difficult to get as I find the content easy.
Bristol's Physics department is just wow.
Went there in the open day >.<
(edited 7 years ago)
Bristol's Physics department is just wow.
Went there in the open day >.<

I've heard many great things about it on here, so I really hope they will give me an offer.
Yes but I bet her As levels were AAAA or better. You would tend to give a higher offer to the students achieving lower As grades with high target grades a harsher offer. As she got a predicted grade of 4A*s and prob has a superb academic record, they might like her. And so give her not so high of an offer, because they know she will do well.

No, AAA was her standard offer. Additionally, why would they do that if they're not judging AS grades anymore???
(edited 7 years ago)
Warwick, UCL, Nottingham, Bristol, KCL.

I know for sure that UCL is GCSE heavy but I thought i'd give it a shot anyway

Thanks for the reply.

I'm surprised, as I didn't know this happened. I don't think that I will find this too much of an issue though, as the A* for Mathematics that i'm predicted shouldn't be too difficult to get as I find the content easy.

For Bristol, your GCSEs are fine. They only make up 20 percent of the application. You're absolutely fine for warwick too. UCL? They grade GCSEs, so maybe at a slight disadvantage. You're fine for nottingham, not sure about KCL.
Bristol doesn't look at AS levels (as just one example), and if your referee says something like " ..... did not work hard enough at AS levels but has now lifted his game and is on track for AAA' that may be enough for any Unis that do.
Thank you for the replies!

I guess I will see what the result is after I send in my application.

Many thanks.

You should be fine.

Generally, if you're predicted more than two grades above what you got at AS you could get yourself into a sticky situation.
Original post by jamestg
You should be fine.

Generally, if you're predicted more than two grades above what you got at AS you could get yourself into a sticky situation.

Thanks for the reply,

My A in Maths was above a 90 UMS average, my Physics was 1 off of an A, and my Chemistry was 2 off of an A, so they shouldn't find it too diabolical should they?
Thanks for the reply,

My A in Maths was above a 90 UMS average, my Physics was 1 off of an A, and my Chemistry was 2 off of an A, so they shouldn't find it too diabolical should they?

Nope, you'll be fine! Good luck :smile:

Many thanks.

I don't think this has been mentioned to you, but many universities don't consider AS grades at all anymore. I can only speak for medicine, but it's likely it's carried over to other courses too. You may want to email your prospective universities.
Bath won't care about your AS grades and will focus on your GCSE, predicted grades, reference and personal statement.

Is that for any course at Bath and how did you find that out?
Original post by jamestg
Nope, you'll be fine! Good luck :smile:

Thank you very much! Good luck to you and your Law application.

Original post by GradeA*UnderA
I don't think this has been mentioned to you, but many universities don't consider AS grades at all anymore. I can only speak for medicine, but it's likely it's carried over to other courses too. You may want to email your prospective universities.

Thanks for the reply.

I did hear this mentioned a few months ago, but I just took it as a rumour heard through the grapevine. It's very interesting if this is true though.

Also, that's a good idea to email the universities, I'm not sure why I didn't consider this earlier.

Quick Reply

Latest