The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WC7867
Hi all,

Just thought I'd let you guys know my stats as I'm in need of some advice.

GCSEs: 5As, 7A*s, 1 D* (we were forced to do BTEC ICT)

A-Level Predictions: A*AAa (Bio, Chem, Phys, Psyc)

UKCAT: 727, Band 1 SJT

Work Experience:
- 1 week shadowing a consultant at a hospital
- 2 days at a GPs surgery
- 1 week at a care home
- 2 months volunteering at a hospital (still doing this)

Other:
- Student Rep on school council
- Organised several charity events
- Extra AS done 1 year early
- Part time job at a retail store

Wider Reading:
- The Rise and Fall of Modern Medicine by James Le Fanu
- Medical Ethics by Tony Hope
- DNA by James Watson
- When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi
- New Scientist and BMJ

Good personal statement and references.

I'm applying to;
- Kings
- Barts
- Bristol
- Southampton
- UCL (for Biochemistry)

What does anyone think of my chances? 😄

What's your UCAS Tariff (for Barts)?
Have you considered Sheffield and Newcastle, also? :smile:

Kings and Southampton seem like good options, but Bristol is always risky since it's 70% PS, and Barts is risky if you don't have a high UCAS Tariff.
Hi everyone..

GCSE's - 7 A's, 4 B's, 1 C, 1 D.. not great :frown:
A Levels - A*A*Aa in Maths Chemistry Biology and Economics respectively.. (Taking a gapyear)

UKCAT: 540 VR, 670 QR, 790 AR and Band 2 SJT.. 666 Average..

Not great overall but do I still have a good chance?

Thinking of applying to Kings, Barts, Leicester and Southampton..
Original post by WC7867
Hi all,

Just thought I'd let you guys know my stats as I'm in need of some advice.

GCSEs: 5As, 7A*s, 1 D* (we were forced to do BTEC ICT)

A-Level Predictions: A*AAa (Bio, Chem, Phys, Psyc)

UKCAT: 727, Band 1 SJT

Work Experience:
- 1 week shadowing a consultant at a hospital
- 2 days at a GPs surgery
- 1 week at a care home
- 2 months volunteering at a hospital (still doing this)

Other:
- Student Rep on school council
- Organised several charity events
- Extra AS done 1 year early
- Part time job at a retail store

Wider Reading:
- The Rise and Fall of Modern Medicine by James Le Fanu
- Medical Ethics by Tony Hope
- DNA by James Watson
- When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi
- New Scientist and BMJ

Good personal statement and references.

I'm applying to;
- Kings
- Barts
- Bristol
- Southampton
- UCL (for Biochemistry)

What does anyone think of my chances? 😄

You should definitely get 4 interviews.. Might as well just get ready for all of them now.. Good luck and all the best!
Original post by Asian_persuasion
Hi everyone..

GCSE's - 7 A's, 4 B's, 1 C, 1 D.. not great :frown:
A Levels - A*A*Aa in Maths Chemistry Biology and Economics respectively.. (Taking a gapyear)

UKCAT: 540 VR, 670 QR, 790 AR and Band 2 SJT.. 666 Average..

Not great overall but do I still have a good chance?

Thinking of applying to Kings, Barts, Leicester and Southampton..

Kings may not be a good idea since although they are quite holistic, they put a lot of weighting on UKCAT and academics, but I'm not sure how they'll look at your achieved A-Levels and whether it would override your GCSEs. I'd suggest looking it up or calling them up to make sure you know exactly how they would use them.
If you have a high UCAS tariff, Barts is a good option.
How many points are you on for Leicester's scoring system? People are saying 40-41/48 will likely be the cut-off point this year, but we can't be certain.
Your UKCAT is good enough for Southampton, but yet again, I'm not completely certain how thye look at the rest of your application, so it's worth looking into and seeing whether you feel comfortable applying there.

Exeter would be a good choice with A*A*A achieved
UEA could be a good choice, also, albeit a bit risky.
Are you doing the BMAT?
Original post by Gogregg
Kings may not be a good idea since although they are quite holistic, they put a lot of weighting on UKCAT and academics, but I'm not sure how they'll look at your achieved A-Levels and whether it would override your GCSEs. I'd suggest looking it up or calling them up to make sure you know exactly how they would use them.
If you have a high UCAS tariff, Barts is a good option.
How many points are you on for Leicester's scoring system? People are saying 40-41/48 will likely be the cut-off point this year, but we can't be certain.
Your UKCAT is good enough for Southampton, but yet again, I'm not completely certain how thye look at the rest of your application, so it's worth looking into and seeing whether you feel comfortable applying there.

Exeter would be a good choice with A*A*A achieved
UEA could be a good choice, also, albeit a bit risky.
Are you doing the BMAT?

Thank you for the reply! I am aware Kings do want high UKCAT scores but thats the uni I really want to go to!! Flipping Verbal Reasoning messed me over or I couldve got 700:frown: Anyways, I wont be doing the BMAT because I will be going abroad to volunteer..

My score for Leicester was quite high which is why I am applying for it.. They grade A/A* the same for those who have done their A levels.. UEA is an option but I dont really know what to swap it for.. Maybe Southampton?
Thank you for the reply! I am aware Kings do want high UKCAT scores but thats the uni I really want to go to!! Flipping Verbal Reasoning messed me over or I couldve got 700:frown: Anyways, I wont be doing the BMAT because I will be going abroad to volunteer..

My score for Leicester was quite high which is why I am applying for it.. They grade A/A* the same for those who have done their A levels.. UEA is an option but I don't really know what to swap it for.. Maybe Southampton?

Leicester is a great choice, then :smile:
What's your UCAS Tariff? If it's not all that great, then I'd swap Barts for UEA or Exeter.
Hey does anyone know if there is a Medicine 2017 entry stalking page this year?
What do I have to do so that my unis get my UKCAT results? Do you just add all your details into the UKCAT Pearson VUE Additional Information section? Is that all?
Original post by Gogregg
What's your UCAS Tariff (for Barts)?
Have you considered Sheffield and Newcastle, also? :smile:

Kings and Southampton seem like good options, but Bristol is always risky since it's 70% PS, and Barts is risky if you don't have a high UCAS Tariff.

Thanks for the advice! I was under the impression that UCAS points made no difference with any unis due to the new linear system? I've seen nothing about it on the Barts website; they specify only the A-Level predictions they ask for. On the UCAS website, when I attempt to calculate tarriff points for AS grades, I'm told they only count if I've dropped the subject (which I haven't for any). I may be wrong in thinking tariff points no longer matter, or maybe I'm just confused?

Also, what do you think of switching Southampton for Birmingham? I know it seems a bit late, but I've been debating between the two for a while.

Thank you!
You should definitely get 4 interviews.. Might as well just get ready for all of them now.. Good luck and all the best!

Thank you very much! I wish you the best as well!!
Original post by Bright_Gift
Pretty good chance at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I appreciate it!
Original post by WC7867
Thanks for the advice! I was under the impression that UCAS points made no difference with any unis due to the new linear system? I've seen nothing about it on the Barts website; they specify only the A-Level predictions they ask for. On the UCAS website, when I attempt to calculate tarriff points for AS grades, I'm told they only count if I've dropped the subject (which I haven't for any). I may be wrong in thinking tariff points no longer matter, or maybe I'm just confused?

Also, what do you think of switching Southampton for Birmingham? I know it seems a bit late, but I've been debating between the two for a while.

Thank you!

Your stand a really good choice at both, I think :h:

On their website they say:
'A100 applicants who achieve an overall score within the third decile range or above in the UKCAT and meet our minimum academic entry criteria will be given a score for their UCAS tariff based on achieved/predicted grades for all ‘tariffable’ criteria or a weighted score for graduates based on degree classification. Candidates will be expected to have achieved or be predicted a UCAS tariff of 144 or more. 144 points must be achieved from the main scoring academic acceptable criteria. 50% of the weighting will be on Tariff and 50% on the UKCAT score.'

So, yes, they do use UCAS tariff, but they are the only medicine university do so :smile:
Original post by Gogregg
Your stand a really good choice at both, I think :h:

On their website they say:
'A100 applicants who achieve an overall score within the third decile range or above in the UKCAT and meet our minimum academic entry criteria will be given a score for their UCAS tariff based on achieved/predicted grades for all ‘tariffable’ criteria or a weighted score for graduates based on degree classification. Candidates will be expected to have achieved or be predicted a UCAS tariff of 144 or more. 144 points must be achieved from the main scoring academic acceptable criteria. 50% of the weighting will be on Tariff and 50% on the UKCAT score.'

So, yes, they do use UCAS tariff, but they are the only medicine university do so :smile:

Ahhh, brilliant, understood! I didn't realise it was based on predicted grades, like an idiot 😂 I just calculated my tariff points, and it's look like I've got 172 total, so I'm above their threshold.

Thanks for all the advice, it's been very helpful!
Reply 1353
Do any of you know the ukcat cut off score for 2017 entry for King's, Cardiff, Barts, Bristol, St Georges, Southampton.

I like all of these and I am doing the BMAT because I want to apply to Imperial.

my 4 choices are for medicine and the back up is biomed at st georges
Original post by 11...
Do any of you know the ukcat cut off score for 2017 entry for King's, Cardiff, Barts, Bristol, St Georges, Southampton.

Bristol doesn't have a threshold UKCAT score.
And it forms only 10% of your overall score.
Soo, I might be in the wrong area, but who's taking triple science for gcse in 2019?
Original post by 11...

I like all of these and I am doing the BMAT because I want to apply to Imperial.

my 4 choices are for medicine and the back up is biomed at st georges

Southampton and Cardiff do UKCAT
Original post by sweetstars
Soo, I might be in the wrong area, but who's taking triple science for gcse in 2019?

I think most people are applying to uni now in this chat, so we've all done out GCSEs, but I did triple science (got A*A*A) so if you have any questions feel free to ask, I'll try help if I can
Original post by chrisdale98
I'd say leeds and Oxford

Leeds actually only focus on EITHER AS or GCSEs, not both so if you've got good as don't worry about GCSEs and if you've got good GCSEs you don't need to worry about what you got at as :smile:
Anyone know how much PBL is involved at Sheffield?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending