The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JenJenXD
Hi, just wanted some advice!*

I have just graduated with a first class honours in Biomedical science and have good work experience (Bangladesh health clinic 6 weeks as a patient care advisor, phlebotomist *and as a volunteer in a hospital ward).

However, I have a low UKCAT of 620 average (VR:570, QR:650 AR:640 and Band 2). Also my a level grades are poor biology E, geography D and English language C. I had to do a foundation year before getting into uni...*

Do I have a chance of getting on to the A100 courses with my stats? I'm thinking of applying to Warwick, Queen Mary and Aberdeen?*

Thanks in advance! *

Hey your work experience sounds amazing :smile:

I wouldn't apply to Warwick because i think they are known for being quite UKCAT heavy. I think you would need a much higher UKCAT score to stand a chance :/

I think you could look into Keele University as i think they only use UKCAT scores in borderline cases?
Hi, just wanted some advice!*

I have just graduated with a first class honours in Biomedical science and have good work experience (Bangladesh health clinic 6 weeks as a patient care advisor, phlebotomist *and as a volunteer in a hospital ward).

However, I have a low UKCAT of 620 average (VR:570, QR:650 AR:640 and Band 2). Also my a level grades are poor biology E, geography D and English language C. I had to do a foundation year before getting into uni...*

Do I have a chance of getting on to the A100 courses with my stats? I'm thinking of applying to Warwick, Queen Mary and Aberdeen?*

Thanks in advance! *

Cardiff (5 year) don't have a minimum cut off - this the quote from document on the UKCAT website
' We do not have a minimum threshold score for the UKCAT, however the UKCAT score may be used as
part of the assessment procedure.'
http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/Using%20my%202016%20UKCAT%20Result.pdf its quite a useful document :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Chocoholic20
Hey your work experience sounds amazing :smile:

I wouldn't apply to Warwick because i think they are known for being quite UKCAT heavy. I think you would need a much higher UKCAT score to stand a chance :/

I think you could look into Keele University as i think they only use UKCAT scores in borderline cases?

Hey! Thank you for replying.

Yeah I think I might forget about Warwick as even to be invited for the selection centre you need to have above average verbal reasoning score which I do not have :frown:*

Ok, I'll look into keele I thought you had to do the GAMSAT of you didn't meet their a-level requirements?*

Thanks again :smile: *
Hey! Thank you for replying.

Yeah I think I might forget about Warwick as even to be invited for the selection centre you need to have above average verbal reasoning score which I do not have :frown:*

Ok, I'll look into keele I thought you had to do the GAMSAT of you didn't meet their a-level requirements?*

Thanks again :smile: *

Ahh yeah thats true you do have to do GAMSAT :/

I don't know if its possible for graduates to get on to foundation courses for Medicine but maybe you could have a look into that?

Good luck :smile:
Original post by Lou1228
Cardiff (5 year) don't have a minimum cut off - this the quote from document on the UKCAT website
' We do not have a minimum threshold score for the UKCAT, however the UKCAT score may be used as
part of the assessment procedure.'
http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/Using%20my%202016%20UKCAT%20Result.pdf its quite a useful document :smile:

Thanks for the reply! :smile: Ooh it is very useful!

*I'll check out Cardiff now! I'm from Bristol so it's not too far for me and that would be great!

Even though I have a degree now and experience my a-levels just haunt me, & limit places I can apply! *Thanks again! :smile:*
Original post by Chocoholic20
Ahh yeah thats true you do have to do GAMSAT :/

I don't know if its possible for graduates to get on to foundation courses for Medicine but maybe you could have a look into that?

Good luck :smile:

*Ok I'll look into that, I don't mind doing extra years as long as I can just get in! I doubt I'll get in this year but will apply for medicine next year and think I may attempt the GAMSAT! But it just scares me :/

Thank you! Good luck to you as well! Keep us updated on here *
@JenJenXD I think Keele have additional A level requirements so be weary of that. Best to check out their requirements on their webpage because although they may have low UKCAT threshold they MAY have other requirements - so do keep that in mind.

On another note how on Earth are people staying within the PS limit I'm still 300 characters over :frown:
Original post by Ama2007
omg I still haven't received my reference................................

Original post by Lostperson
me too

Original post by NafNaf39
Me three.

omg still?

Are you all getting academic references?

The only advice I can give (which I had to resort to) was to email pretty much every lecturer I had at university who was still there.
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
omg still?

Are you all getting academic references?

The only advice I can give (which I had to resort to) was to email pretty much every lecturer I had at university who was still there.

My referee said they'll do it. But I hope I don't have to wait till the last minute to receive it.

How's the PS going :s-smilie:
My referee said they'll do it. But I hope I don't have to wait till the last minute to receive it.

How's the PS going :s-smilie:

Have you emailed other tutors/lecturers just in case?

When did you send the last email?

I sent reminder emails like everyday to two lecturers who ended up responding last week and I had to tell them that the reference is already done so thanks and stuff.

Do you live near the campus?
Have you emailed other tutors/lecturers just in case?

When did you send the last email?

I sent reminder emails like everyday to two lecturers who ended up responding last week and I had to tell them that the reference is already done so thanks and stuff.

Do you live near the campus?

On Friday. I'm sure she'll get it done, no doubt about that - but I have a feeling it may be last minute :frown:

Nope I've already graduated :smile:
On Friday. I'm sure she'll get it done, no doubt about that - but I have a feeling it may be last minute :frown:

Nope I've already graduated :smile:

Yikes. It's been months hasn't it? She really should have done it by now. Could you ask someone else?

How far away are you?

I live like a 7 minute train journey away from my former university. COuld you make the journey there?

My referee (the one who replied damn fast) ended up writing it within 4/5 hours of emailling him my CV and personal statement. And he barely knew me.

PS is going ok btw. It's only 1200 words now. Been staring at it all day haha
Yikes. It's been months hasn't it? She really should have done it by now. Could you ask someone else?

How far away are you?

I live like a 7 minute train journey away from my former university. COuld you make the journey there?

My referee (the one who replied damn fast) ended up writing it within 4/5 hours of emailling him my CV and personal statement. And he barely knew me.

PS is going ok btw. It's only 1200 words now. Been staring at it all day haha

Yeah if need be I can pop by :smile:

Wow that's really fast!!

This PS is depressing. I've just remodelled it and now need to cut down 18 characters.
Just a little bit of help please!
Seeing as how the UKCAT scores were lower than last year I think i'll just seek advice 1 last time before I submit my application. I've got a 2:1 in BMedSci, I meet all the necessary A-level and GCSE requirements and i've got plenty of care experience (Currently training as a HCA, medical brigade abroad and care home volunteering). My UKCAT average was 743.3 and SJ Band 1. My choices currently are Southampton, Kings, Warwick and Newcastle. Are there any other places I should consider or look at over those? Any which might be worth looking at?
HEY BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE

I scored 710 i my ukcat (not too happy about it) and I am really nervous about applying for grad course at kings. Am i right in thinking the score is a bit low to be considered?

Thanks in advance
Yeah if need be I can pop by :smile:

Wow that's really fast!!

This PS is depressing. I've just remodelled it and now need to cut down 18 characters.

Would your referee be okay with a popup visit? Is this your tutor from uni?

Yeah I know. I was pretty surprised. I emailed him on Sunday asking if he could do a reference for me. Half an hour later i got a reply saying sure and Monday like 6pm he had submitted it. Granted, he was one of the nicer lecturers at my uni.

18 characters are not so bad. I have to cut 2911 characters hahahaha lawl.
Original post by Rosser1994
Just a little bit of help please!
Seeing as how the UKCAT scores were lower than last year I think i'll just seek advice 1 last time before I submit my application. I've got a 2:1 in BMedSci, I meet all the necessary A-level and GCSE requirements and i've got plenty of care experience (Currently training as a HCA, medical brigade abroad and care home volunteering). My UKCAT average was 743.3 and SJ Band 1. My choices currently are Southampton, Kings, Warwick and Newcastle. Are there any other places I should consider or look at over those? Any which might be worth looking at?

That is a great score and tbh you stand a real chance for each of those unis. Well done!
Would your referee be okay with a popup visit? Is this your tutor from uni?

Yeah I know. I was pretty surprised. I emailed him on Sunday asking if he could do a reference for me. Half an hour later i got a reply saying sure and Monday like 6pm he had submitted it. Granted, he was one of the nicer lecturers at my uni.

18 characters are not so bad. I have to cut 2911 characters hahahaha lawl.

Yeah she'll be fine with me dropping by :smile: but I don't think it'll come to that.

Lucky you! At least that reference is out the way for you! Wohoo!

OMG! I wouldn't be able to sleep if I needed to do that much chopping. I need to cut down one more character now :P
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah she'll be fine with me dropping by :smile: but I don't think it'll come to that.

Lucky you! At least that reference is out the way for you! Wohoo!

OMG! I wouldn't be able to sleep if I needed to do that much chopping. I need to cut down one more character now :P

I hope you get your reference quickly. It's so stressful.

Thanks.

Good luck!
Yeah I'm trying to cut out the waffle but then the sentences become disjointed and it doesn't read smoothly. I'm a writer deep at heart despite my love of emoji and text speak.
I hope you get your reference quickly. It's so stressful.

Thanks.

Good luck!
Yeah I'm trying to cut out the waffle but then the sentences become disjointed and it doesn't read smoothly. I'm a writer deep at heart despite my love of emoji and text speak.

It definitely is.

I've managed to shrink mine but just worried about it not looking good and a bit chunky? Along with the possibility of it sounding like a list -__-

Aw I'm sure you'll come out with an amazing PS with your out of the word literary skills. I suck at writing and grammar, so I'm always second guessing myself when it comes to that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending