The Student Room Group

MCQ related to momentum. HELP!

image.jpeg

I really don't understand this question. The correct answer is C but I don't get why. Please help!*
Original post by ibs11
image.jpeg

I really don't understand this question. The correct answer is C but I don't get why. Please help!*

Hello there,

It is important to remember that, in this collision, linear momentum is conserved. This means that the magnitude of the change in momentum of each of the objects should be the same, as to result in the overall momentum change being 0 0 . This renders statement II II to be false. As impulse is equivalent to change in momentum, I I must also be false. In order for the changes in momentum to be the same, the velocity of the small car must change more, as the car has a lower mass (Δp=mΔv \Delta p = m \Delta v ). Statement III III is thus true and the correct response is therefore (c).

I hope that this has been helpful,

Smithenator5000
Reply 2
Original post by Smithenator5000
Hello there,

It is important to remember that, in this collision, linear momentum is conserved. This means that the magnitude of the change in momentum of each of the objects should be the same, as to result in the overall momentum change being 0 0 . This renders statement II II to be false. As impulse is equivalent to change in momentum, I I must also be false. In order for the changes in momentum to be the same, the velocity of the small car must change more, as the car has a lower mass (Δp=mΔv \Delta p = m \Delta v ). Statement III III is thus true and the correct response is therefore (c).

I hope that this has been helpful,

Smithenator5000

Thank you so much! Really helped me out :smile: *
Original post by ibs11
Thank you so much! Really helped me out :smile: *

You're very welcome. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest