The Student Room Group

Parents convinced I have an eating disorder?

(edited 7 years ago)
7 Stone 10 is underweight for a person of 5 foot 2, and you do also have some of the symptoms of being underweight so yes you are underweight.
If you're not getting your period then that it is a problem. If they stopped in time with weight loss then of course the most obvious solution is to try gaining weight. If that doesn't work, you and your doctor can discuss other potential causes after the most obvious one has been eliminated.
If you find yourself deliberately going without food (as in entire meals ) just to lose weight, then your parents are right to be worried.
Reply 4
Original post by AlexS101
7 Stone 10 is underweight for a person of 5 foot 2

Provided the OP is female—which, judging by their use of the word "period" in reference to themselves, seems fairly conclusive—no, it isn't.

You ARE NOT underweight you have a BMI of 19.9, which is fine.
Imo go to the Dr get them to weigh you and they can give you the all clear that you are a normal weight.

It still doesnt mean you cant have an eating disorder. Has the GP referred you to a dietician have you kep a diary of how much you are eating to show them its a helathy amount plys your weight loss profile over the last year?

Jump through the hoops, people will be satisfied and you cna get on with whatever you are doing.

Btw I wouldnt lose that much more otherwsie you will drop into the underweight category. Lift some weights if you want a better shape.
Reply 6

If you do not have a problem a therapist will not try to do anything about it. The best way to prove to your parents that you are okay may actually be to see a doctor or a therapist.

They shouldn't be expecting you to put on a set ammout of weight in such a short ammount of time and they are just setting you up to fail. Even if you could put on that weight it would not be in a healthy way. I think the ammount of concern they have for you means they just aren't going to see reason from you so you'll have to get an outside opinion.

I could see why your parents would be worried if you've suddenly lost a bunch of weight, even if you are still a healthy weight now. After loosing that weight and with the period problems you have it could be worth you seeing a doctor anyway just to make sure that you are a good weight now and that you are healthy. You can proove what you need to to your parents and also be that bit wiser about your general health. Win win. :smile:
Thankfully the latest DSM removed amenorrhea as a diagnostic criteria for anorexia so that's not something a doctor can use to try and diagnose you, but it is still linked with extreme weight loss (although that in itself doesn't equate to anorexia). I know how easy it can be to lose weight, though, I've just lost half a stone in 2 weeks just cause I've had no appetite for a while.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest