The Student Room Group

Someone help me with my A level chemistry before I get dropped into a Btec pls lmao

pls
Original post by SeizureVictim
pls

What are you struggling with?
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
What are you struggling with?

Basically knowing which calculation to use for which question and remembering the calculations lmao, so basically everything except from definitions
Basically knowing which calculation to use for which question and remembering the calculations lmao, so basically everything except from definitions

Perhaps provide an example of an equation you're struggling with?

I personally find that considering the units of things makes calculations easier.
I'd help you with your Chemistry if you weren't so b****y about BTEC.
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
I'd help you with your Chemistry if you weren't so b****y about BTEC.

Woah alright mate, I'm doing a level 3 BTEC sport too, just I think A level looks more impressive than BTEC seeing as it involves more maths etc.
Perhaps provide an example of an equation you're struggling with?

I personally find that considering the units of things makes calculations easier.

I'm struggling to remember what to do to work out waters of crystallization.
I'm struggling to remember what to do to work out waters of crystallization.

You essentially do a series of calculations to get the Mr of the compound. You find out the Mr of the anhydrous salt and then take that away from the total and divide what you get by 18 to see how many moles of water are bound to each molecule.
(edited 7 years ago)
Woah alright mate, I'm doing a level 3 BTEC sport too, just I think A level looks more impressive than BTEC seeing as it involves more maths etc.

Alright.
You essentially do a series of calculations to get the Mr of the compound. You find out the Mr of the anhydrous salt and then take that away from the total and divide what you get by 180 to see how many moles of water are bound to each molecule.

Oh okay, thank you haha, but I thought you divide it by 18? Because O=16 and H2=2 ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh okay, thank you haha, but I thought you divide it by 18? Because O=16 and H2=2 ?

It was a typo. And see, you already have shown you have some knowledge :smile:.
Nowt wrong with btec science, it better prepares you for industry in a lab and it's not assessed via a memory test :wink:
You essentially do a series of calculations to get the Mr of the compound. You find out the Mr of the anhydrous salt and then take that away from the total and divide what you get by 18 to see how many moles of water are bound to each molecule.

Cheers for that mate haha, helped me much faster than finding this on the internet somewhere
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
Nowt wrong with btec science, it better prepares you for industry in a lab and it's not assessed via a memory test :wink:

Mate tbh, i don't even care if I move down to Btec anymore, I'm sick of A levels and everything to do with them and it's only been a month like omg pls just kill me. Literally A level Physics is the easiest of my A level in my opinion haha
Mate tbh, i don't even care if I move down to Btec anymore, I'm sick of A levels and everything to do with them and it's only been a month like omg pls just kill me. Literally A level Physics is the easiest of my A level in my opinion haha

Do the btec if A level is making you feel that bad. Seriously.
Do the btec if A level is making you feel that bad. Seriously.

Well I don't know if I can do Btec for just one science though, Like i'm fine with biology and physics but chemistry is just horrible lmao
Well I don't know if I can do Btec for just one science though, Like i'm fine with biology and physics but chemistry is just horrible lmao

ah gotcha. Could you just drop chemistry? Depends what you want to do at uni etc
ah gotcha. Could you just drop chemistry? Depends what you want to do at uni etc

I think I want to do Bio-chemistry or Astro physics, so I don't really want to drop it... but I don't even know if they can put me into a btec now because I think the time to change course is over now but I'm on a contract where if I do bad then I get moved into a btec so I don't even know what will happen if I fail my resit.
I think I want to do Bio-chemistry or Astro physics, so I don't really want to drop it... but I don't even know if they can put me into a btec now because I think the time to change course is over now but I'm on a contract where if I do bad then I get moved into a btec so I don't even know what will happen if I fail my resit.

definitely worth talking to someone at your college to clarify what your options are. *

Quick Reply

Latest