The Student Room Group

Does his parents hate me

My partner and I have been going through a rough time. He's got mental and Physical illness at the moment and I've been trying to stick by his side even though Im at uni and he works. What it is, is that his family seem to be pushing me away. His sister is rude, I was joking with her recently and she basically turned to me and said "Oh shut up!" in a very dead pan way. She's 16

The weekend i was moving back to uni He had an anxiety attack and his dad dropped me off at my uni house on my own. Non of my house mates where in, didn't check heating, hot water nothing. Just let me there alone.

On this weekend he had another attack. I called his father to come get us, and was promptly told there was no point in me being there and that wouldn't be picked up only he would, despite the fact I had been caring for him all night. Whilst we were waiting his mother called. I told her he wasn't well and she said to me in a very cold voice "I know put him on the phone" She then got paranoid that i could here her conversation with him. This woman i've met twice and she's been very cold to me.

When his dad arrived he was reluctant to take us to an appointment that had been made for my partner. And said that i shouldn't go in with him, his mother was also texting him this (it was a good thing I did as i asked questions about the new medication my partner wouldn't have thought of in the state he was in)

I don't really know if these are situation problems or if they don't like me. We've been going out for over a year now and i just don't feel welcomed into the family. My Partner has expressed to them we are serious about our relationship and i truly believe if i cant have him at his worst i don't deserve him at his best.
Reply 1
From the sounds of it, they don't dislike you. Having a member of the family in such a condition can be extremely stressful and taxing. I'd guess theyre just irritable when your boyfriend's problems act up, and since you are around when's that happens, it makes you the unfortunate victim of that.

I doubt it's anything personal, but I would recommend talking about it with him.
Reply 2
Original post by DanielOH
From the sounds of it, they don't dislike you. Having a member of the family in such a condition can be extremely stressful and taxing. I'd guess theyre just irritable when your boyfriend's problems act up, and since you are around when's that happens, it makes you the unfortunate victim of that.

I doubt it's anything personal, but I would recommend talking about it with him.

I dont really feel i can talk to him about it, i have mentioned it but advised him not to take it up with them as I don't want him to get sick again.
Reply 3
Its a stressful situation to be in as a family and to have an "outsider" around makes it hard. Technically you are not an outsider but you are in more personal family grounds than just a girlfriend.
It does seem like they are weary of you because they don't want you to see text messages or listen to phone calls. But what can you really do? Unless your boyfriend addresses the issue, you can't do much.
Thoughts are with you, always xxxxxxxx
Reply 5
Original post by Rt6f
Its a stressful situation to be in as a family and to have an "outsider" around makes it hard. Technically you are not an outsider but you are in more personal family grounds than just a girlfriend.
It does seem like they are weary of you because they don't want you to see text messages or listen to phone calls. But what can you really do? Unless your boyfriend addresses the issue, you can't do much.

He's embarrassed about them and he does want to talk to them but i just don't think its a good idea. I feel like he needs to be better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending