The Student Room Group

Unilever Future Leaders Programme Online Games - WTF?????

Last week, I applied for the Unilever R&D programme and took their new online games. There were twelve activities. For example, one involved splitting money in the fairest way possible between you and another person. Another involved selecting cards from four different decks. The personality report I got seemed fairly balanced - I got results such as "fair minded" and "internally motivated", but also "blocks out distracted slowly". I was quickly rejected on the basis that I didn't obtain the scores they were looking for. One of my housemates tried today and fared slightly better than me in some areas, but was still rejected 20 minutes after she completed the test.

Has anyone applying for the unilever grad scheme got through this stage? What was your personality report like? And above all, did anyone find the format and purpose of the games absolutely bizarre???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sorry to hear you didn't quite make it. I took the tests last week and actually found them really refreshing compared to other grad scheme's tests, I didn't find them as stressful because they were just games with no wrong or right answers. Anyway I managed to scrape through to the video interview and my basic report was:

Attention: Good
Processing: Good
Planning: Good
Distractions: Okay
Flexibility: Okay
Emotion: Okay
Effort: Okay
Learning: Good
Risk: Good
Altruism: Good

Good= Majority of games for that section lead to a good trait
Okay= Mixed bag of results

I understand what you mean though because on some games you can have 100% either way and both sides of the slider seem like good traits to me.
I passed these tests today, even though I scored massively on being critical rather than fair! Other than that I was good in everything. I have a video interview lined up - does anyone know what to expect?? Or what business examples they give?
I passed these first time with:
Attentive
Not flustered by mistakes
Processing speed is consistent

I guess it just depends on whether you meet their character traits or not. They arent necessarily telling you that you aren't good, more so you might not be the right fit for their company or that role.

As frustrating as that sounds.
Reply 4
Original post by Fatimapz
Last week, I applied for the Unilever R&D programme and took their new online games. There were twelve activities. For example, one involved splitting money in the fairest way possible between you and another person. Another involved selecting cards from four different decks. The personality report I got seemed fairly balanced - I got results such as "fair minded" and "internally motivated", but also "blocks out distracted slowly". I was quickly rejected on the basis that I didn't obtain the scores they were looking for. One of my housemates tried today and fared slightly better than me in some areas, but was still rejected 20 minutes after she completed the test.

Has anyone applying for the unilever grad scheme got through this stage? What was your personality report like? And above all, did anyone find the format and purpose of the games absolutely bizarre???

To answer your questions yes I got through the games stage and have an interview now. My report was fair, I scored average on many individual things but most of my overall results in different areas were 70%+ leaning towards one side of the scale, so I think that's why I got through. Based on my experience and results, then, I assume they were just looking for people who scored strongly on a select few specific traits and those are what they were looking for? But your guess is as good as mine.

I actually found the games really refreshing, and I admit that it's probably because they were more suited for me as an individual. I struggled with the previous numerical tests last year (even with an A level maths and Science degree!) but I knew the games would bring out some of my strong points.

If I'd have been unsuccessful though, I'd no doubt be feeling miffed they changed the format. I'll admit that.
Reply 5
has anyone had a video interview yet?
Reply 6
did you do your video interview yet? Whats it like? I'm not sure if I've got through the tests yet
Original post by 21123
did you do your video interview yet? Whats it like? I'm not sure if I've got through the tests yet

Been invited. Sitting it tomorrow
Reply 8
Original post by mushpantsbc
Been invited. Sitting it tomorrow

do you know what kind of specific situation questions they'll ask?
Original post by 21123
do you know what kind of specific situation questions they'll ask?

No idea. My email said a business scenario.
Reply 10
No idea. My email said a business scenario.

which graduate programme did you apply for?
Original post by sajerz
Sorry to hear you didn't quite make it. I took the tests last week and actually found them really refreshing compared to other grad scheme's tests, I didn't find them as stressful because they were just games with no wrong or right answers. Anyway I managed to scrape through to the video interview and my basic report was:

Attention: Good
Processing: Good
Planning: Good
Distractions: Okay
Flexibility: Okay
Emotion: Okay
Effort: Okay
Learning: Good
Risk: Good
Altruism: Good

Good= Majority of games for that section lead to a good trait
Okay= Mixed bag of results

I understand what you mean though because on some games you can have 100% either way and both sides of the slider seem like good traits to me.

Hi! I just failed mine and I'm so frustrated as even with my feedback I don't see where I went wrong :frown: how do you know if you didn't 'okay' or 'good' on something? All I can see is like in cognitive traits for example 100% flexibility in multitasking, 47% you use trial and error to formulate a plan. I find it really hard to understand the feedback/ what would have gotten me through
Original post by 21123
which graduate programme did you apply for?

Marketing
Anyone applying for Marketing - what other companies have you applied for?
What did everyone do for the balloon pump game?? That was the worst like I don't get it was there a certain strategy???
Original post by l.donaldson
What did everyone do for the balloon pump game?? That was the worst like I don't get it was there a certain strategy???

Basically showed your consistency after you appeared to have made a mistake. Eg if you clicked 3 times and it blew up, would you click 3 times on the next one?

I guess they are looking for you not to be affected by your previous mistakes
Original post by Lay-Z
I did it a while ago, was funny as it related to my behavoural economics module.
Seems pointless though, was tempted to cheat especially on the spacebar one using two fingers or on the memory one.
Did it legit and still waiting to hear back 12 days later.

These tests are a poor reflection of charicter, worse than SJT imo

How would one cheat on the memory one?
The games were a refreshing change from the standard numerical and verbal reasoning tests. They weren't that difficult and simply required a little thought and intuition.
Basically showed your consistency after you appeared to have made a mistake. Eg if you clicked 3 times and it blew up, would you click 3 times on the next one?

I guess they are looking for you not to be affected by your previous mistakes

Ah thanks for this. I'm hoping other graduate schemes clock onto the these kind of tests to try my luck again! Though in the general I feel the best way to measure someone is to hear what they have to say rather than online testing... though that would never happen aha
Original post by Lay-Z
I did it a while ago, was funny as it related to my behavoural economics module.
Seems pointless though, was tempted to cheat especially on the spacebar one using two fingers or on the memory one.
Did it legit and still waiting to hear back 12 days later.

These tests are a poor reflection of charicter, worse than SJT imo

No news is good news as they say!!! Good luck x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending