The Student Room Group

Anyone else detest feminism?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DanB1991
You do realise all those points support how wide and ingrained misandry actually is in society.

Answering the underlined points.

As a woman... you are statistically more likely to be assaulted or mugged by another women. But you're still more afraid of men than other women? Statistically you're also more likely to be raped by either a close friend or partner than a complete stranger, you don't cross the road when a close friend is with you, do you?

Spiking.... an extremely rare event, when individuals who claim to have been spiked actually go to hospital the vast majority of cases they haven't ingested any drugs at all. Take example from a study in perth, where out of almost 100 people who claimed to of been spiked over the last 18 months.... turned out not a single one had been spiked with the vast majority simply having too much alcohol. It relies on fear mongering (to sell products to bars and punters) and the fact even a seasoned drinker can have an out of the ordinary reaction to alcohol, even in small quantities. The most popular *date rape* drug is actually alcohol, usually ingested voluntarily.

As a man think how I feel, when I'm simply walking home from a night out, given worried glances from a group of women who eventually cross the road? You're automatically presuming all men are dangerous who you need to be protected from.... kind akin how in america 50-60 years ago people presumed all black people were dangerous and white women needed protection from them.

You're entire post shows how ingrained misandry really is in society. However such opinions such as my own often are tarred as sexist or misogynistic, despite my view is driven by personal experiences rather than a hate for women.

Hi, just wondering if you are able to quote any sources for this especially about the female on female mugging/assault statistic, because I find that interesting.

I'm also really tired of people crying misandry. People like Brock Turner are getting laughable prison sentences in the USA for rape, not fifty years ago, but today, even when he was actually guilty. Only 4.2% percent of CEOS of America's biggest countries are women. FGM is still rife in the world; in Somalia 98% of women have been cut. Things are worse in Third World Countries, but it still isn't exactly peachy here.

I don't understand how women becoming equal to men suddenly makes men worse off. Yeah, some women have had a bad experience with some men. Yes they may be quick to demonise men, but to imply the deck is fundamentally stacked against men the same way it has been against women for centuries is just simply ridiculous.

You talk about spiking as mostly being alcohol that was drunk voluntarily. Even if that is true, those people who are drinking cannot possibly consent to sex, so if one person is sober and taking advantage then that is rape, if they are both drunk it's more of a grey area but still not advisable.

Also "As a man, think how I feel...". Seriously? This is reality, this is what women have drilled into them over and over again, this is fear that they will be assaulted, raped or catcalled. These are obviously rare occurrences, but if you get offended by this then blame popular culture and shock factor tabloids like The Sun and rapists because those are the reasons why women cross the street to get away from you, not feminism or women wanting to hurt your ego. I think you need to check your privilege here.

Sources:

http://fortune.com/2016/06/06/women-ceos-fortune-500-2016/

http://www.who.int/reproductivehealth/topics/fgm/prevalence/en/
I'm mostly indifferent except when they try to block people talking about issues that involve men.

Original post by Quantex
I'm fairly indifferent to feminism, although I do enjoy its ability to make its opponents very emotional.

Emma Watson always seems like she's crying when she talks about #heforshe.
Feminism is important in countries in which women are oppressed. Not in Western society. What is really needed to be done? All the important laws for equality have been made. It's becoming a lost cause filled with sjw's complaining about "microagressions" and "rape culture". And I'm saying that as a female myself.
Original post by Aurora_Boreal1s
Hi, just wondering if you are able to quote any sources for this especially about the female on female mugging/assault statistic, because I find that interesting.

I'm also really tired of people crying misandry. People like Brock Turner are getting laughable prison sentences in the USA for rape, not fifty years ago, but today, even when he was actually guilty. 1#Only 4.2% percent of CEOS of America's biggest countries are women. 2#FGM is still rife in the world; in Somalia 98% of women have been cut. Things are worse in Third World Countries, but it still isn't exactly peachy here.

3# I don't understand how women becoming equal to men suddenly makes men worse off. Yeah, some women have had a bad experience with some men. 4#Yes they may be quick to demonise men, but to imply the deck is fundamentally stacked against men the same way it has been against women for centuries is just simply ridiculous.

You talk about spiking as mostly being alcohol that was drunk voluntarily. Even if that is true, 5#those people who are drinking cannot possibly consent to sex, so if one person is sober and taking advantage then that is rape, if they are both drunk it's more of a grey area but still not advisable.

Also "As a man, think how I feel...". Seriously? 6#This is reality, this is what women have drilled into them over and over again, this is fear that they will be assaulted, raped or catcalled. These are obviously rare occurrences, but if you get offended by this then blame popular culture and shock factor tabloids like The Sun and rapists because those are the reasons why women cross the street to get away from you, not feminism or women wanting to hurt your ego. 7#I think you need to check your privilege here.

Sources:

http://fortune.com/2016/06/06/women-ceos-fortune-500-2016/

http://www.who.int/reproductivehealth/topics/fgm/prevalence/en/

1# Wow aiming at the top sector, women also make up a minority of the bottom dregs of society, you don't hear feminist complaining there aren't more homeless women. Also CEO's require a ruthless instinct, something feminists themselves state women tend to lack. You then have the issue women tend to spent less time in the workplace, prefer a healthier social balance between work, social and family life and the fact it takes around 20-30 years to reach the top of the ladder, we should only be beginning to see a slight increase now anyway.

2# Never stated feminism applied properly in those cases could help. However feminism always has been mostly concerned with western women and to this day still is.

3# Never stated women being equal to men makes them worse off

4# It's quite legitimately argued women historically have been better off than men. Lacking of ownership and voting rights =/= a worse life. Women for centuries have had longer lifespans, higher living standards, protection, divorce protections, more workplace protection, abuse protections and exemption from military service not given to men.

5# Seriously... drunk people can consent to sex.... I can't remember most of last friday night.... does it mean I couldn't consent? Hell no..... Just look at the Chad Evans case, the victim was fully capable of consenting to one individual and not the other despite her intoxication. Lack of memory or intoxication =/= unable to consent, the courts have already agreed on that.

6# So how come uncommon occurrences, such as assault from other women are common, are deemed more acceptable? Surely women would then view all other women as evil? Also fear or hatred of men is misandry.... if you're afraid of men you're as bad as someone who is afraid of black people, gay people, muslims etc.

7# e0d.jpg
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DraculaMihawk
Makes my eyes roll when I see privileged rich, white women like Emma Watson, Lena Dunham and Taylor Swift speak about feminism. It's pathetic.

Who made the tax-avoiding, famous-because-of-her-parent's-connections, Emma Watson the spokesperson for feminism? She is the embodiment of privilege.

Feminism in the U.K. Is a completely joke.

The equal rights job was done a long time ago.

All they come up with these days is sanctimonious *******s and faux outrage when they could be spending their time on helping women gain rights in other countries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Feminism is such an ambiguous word now.

Some would say it's a movement solely dedicated to campaigning for women's rights, which is still relevant, especially in the third world.
Others would say it's evolved into a movement working for gender equality. Sounds like the same thing but it isn't. I'm all for it, anyone would be. What people detest are women who openly put the male gender down and put their own needs/agenda (no matter how small) ahead of others. These people don't represent feminism imo.

I'm an egalitarian :u:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by LJStudent
What I take issue with is the plight of the Western world on trying to solve Western problems through the guise of "feminism". For example, the gender pay gap. It's simply nonsense, and no credible economists support its existence. When you control for factors such as marital status, level of education, number of children, choice of occupation, etc, the gap disappears entirely and in some cases women are actually paid more than men on average. What Western feminists don't seem to understand is that women and men often make different choices in life, for example women may prioritise having children more than men at an earlier age. They make different occupational choices which happen to pay a lower salary.

Except...https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/research/research-intelligence-gender-bias-hides-even-in-open-minds/421746.article (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3478626/ contains the actual study, http://www.cos.gatech.edu/facultyres/Diversity_Studies/Steinpreis_Impact%20of%20gender%20on%20review.pdf is an earlier study with similar results)
So much to say, do I even bother. I could simply copy and paste my posts from the hundred other anti-feminism threads, word for word and it would still apply.

The same old people saying how sexism can no longer exist because there's no sexist laws, the same dull c.unts who smugly exclaim to us they are "egalitarian" when they've probably never commited an action that would suggest as such. The same sexism thinly veiled as anti-feminism. Same old, same old.

Boring.

When people denounce feminism in our country I am reminded of an item commonly used to indirectly assess racism against blacks in America.

"Racism no longer exist in our country".

Guess what type of person typically agrees with that item? Yeah you guessed it, those who score highly on racism scales.

And it's the same thing here, only those ignorant or indirectly sexist strongly believe that sexism against women no longer exists in our country, or isn't an issue if it does exist.

You guys are textbook. Like I say, boring. Dull. Move on.
(edited 7 years ago)
Too right. As i read through this thread i felt physically sick over these ignorant sexist comments. If they did one google search they would find numerous things where women are affected in this country today. The wage gap. Rape culture. Indecent touching of females in school. As if thats ok. I like your comparing to the US example. Its exactly right, these narrow minded blockheads think that if some law is passed all racism or sexism dissapears. Looking at these threads in the student room, i wonder if all ignorant fanatical people just go on student room to spout there disgusting views.
The idea of feminism isn't bad in itself. Its the feminazis who try to achieve a matriarchal society that is terrible. No gender is superior, males and females are equal, but some feminists are clearly fighting for female superiority...
Original post by Anonymous9753
Too right. As i read through this thread i felt physically sick over these ignorant sexist comments. If they did one google search they would find numerous things where women are affected in this country today. The wage gap. Rape culture. Indecent touching of females in school. As if thats ok. I like your comparing to the US example. Its exactly right, these narrow minded blockheads think that if some law is passed all racism or sexism dissapears. Looking at these threads in the student room, i wonder if all ignorant fanatical people just go on student room to spout there disgusting views.

The wage gap is false. No credible economist takes it seriously; multiple studies already have disapproved it. There are resources out there for rape victims. How come feminism very rarely emphasises the 144,000 rape that happen in male prisons every year? Oh wait I think we already know why.

Posted from TSR Mobile
these narrow minded blockheads think that if some law is passed all racism or sexism dissapears.

I don't think it disappears but equality is done under laws, people's attitudes after that are their own business.

Anyone breaking said laws can then be prosecuted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DraculaMihawk
The wage gap is false. No credible economist takes it seriously; multiple studies already have disapproved it. There are resources out there for rape victims. How come feminism very rarely emphasises the 144,000 rape that happen in male prisons every year? Oh wait I think we already know why.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The issue of male rape in prison and subsequent lack of reporting stems from the exact same sexists attitudes that effects women.
Male rape victims are often dissuaded from reporting their crimes or even telling another individual, because of the ridiculous notion that males should be strong, and tough. And to be raped must mean that the man is somehow less masculine, or weak, or a "pussy". It's that very attitude that feminists are fighting.

Also in regards to the wage gap. There is a wage gap. Yes, you can reduce and possibly even eliminate this wage gap if you compare male and female wages for employees in the exact same professions, and exact same positions within that profession.
But by doing this, you are eliminating the explanatory factors as to why the gap exists. Far less women are in those higher level positions, in those higher earning fields.

So yes when you compare the wages between the minority of women in those positions versus the male wages (the majority demographic), there may be little difference. But the issue is why are there more males in those higher paid fields?

I find that people find it easier to think of this in regards to racism, otherwise your own self-serving bias will affect your reasoning. I'm not so sure about present day, but a couple
of decades ago, Afro-Americans dominated the lower paid workforce. The average afro-American earned substantially less than the average Caucasian American.

To me, that is a wage gap. But, if you were to compare the wages of the small % of Afro-Americans who fought against the grain and achieved the same status as their white counterparts, the wage gap would be substantially smaller. But you are looking at a skewed population. Comparing a higher population of whites vs a much smaller, minority population of blacks. This is an unfair comparison on many levels. For example on a psychological level, Afro-Americans had to fight that much harder to earn those positions and wages, the Afro-American in those higher paid fields will probably be a lot more stronger than a lot of the whites, because of the barriers they had to overcome. Common sense would tell you it'd take a much stronger afro-American to access that position, than a white who had to fight less to get there. Unfair comparison.
The route of the issue is why do whites dominate the higher paid fields.

And it is the same here. Now, I expect an essentially sexist response from you as to why less females are in the higher earning professions and positions. I expect to see the words "pregnancy, maternity leave", and "biological, innate differences" even something along the lines of "natural differences or Evo-psychology".

But as a psych graduate, the evidence for that does not prevail. The prevailing evidence lies the environment (the family, school, social environment), societal attitudes and expectations. Women face more psychological and social barriers to access those higher paid positions. Yeah, you might say there are no sexist laws, but there's a lot more to individual development than that. A hell of a lot more.

People denounce psychology all the time, but constantly underestimate the sheer influence of our environment on our achievement of outcomes.

1. The wage gap has been explained away numerous times, some feminists organisations have even dismissed it.

2. Rape culture is non-existent in the U.K. Despite being proven not guilty Ched Evans has still been widely condemned and will likely never be accepted by large parts of society. The largest sexual violence organisation in the US (RAINN) have dismissed the idea of 'rape culture' yet you still pretend that mainstream media and the masses glorify rapists. It's gotten to the point where people believe that someone claiming they've been raped should take precedence over the presumption of innocence. So maybe we do have a rape culture but if we do then it's the opposite to the myth perpetuated by many feminists (that's a lesson in how to make a statement without making sweeping generalisations, something some feminists seem to enjoy).

3. Indecent touching of females? Care to expand?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Nope: I don't detest equality.
Reply 55
2. Rape culture is non-existent in the U.K. Despite being proven not guilty Ched Evans has still been widely condemned and will likely never be accepted by large parts of society. The largest sexual violence organisation in the US (RAINN) have dismissed the idea of 'rape culture' yet you still pretend that mainstream media and the masses glorify rapists. It's gotten to the point where people believe that someone claiming they've been raped should take precedence over the presumption of innocence. So maybe we do have a rape culture but if we do then it's the opposite to the myth perpetuated by many feminists (that's a lesson in how to make a statement without making sweeping generalisations, something some feminists seem to enjoy).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why are women often exiled and bullied for testifying if it's against someone they know then? And why is it so hard to convict someone for rape in the U.K.?

NOT looking for an argument but disagree too strongly not to say anything :smile:
Original post by Banxi
Nope: I don't detest equality.

doyou not understand that saying that feminism is about equality is like saying the democratic people's republic of north korea is all about democracy? I mean, the feminist movement today is literally not about equality - what rights are women looking for? exactly. it's merely a movement of petty little girls wanting to hate men. it's pathetic. in an age and geography where there are no more problems women face, they can only invent more problems so that they aren't made totally irrelevant
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 57
[QUOTE="sleepysnooze;68101852"]doyou not understand that saying that feminism is about equality is like saying the democratic people's republic of north korea is all about democracy? I mean, the feminist movement today is literally not about equality - what rights are women looking for? exactly. it's merely a movement of petty little girls wanting to hate men. it's pathetic. in an age where there are no more problems women face, they can only invent more problems so that they aren't made totally irrelevant[/QUOTE

feminismˈfɛmɪnɪz(ə)m/noun

the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the EQUALITY of the sexes.

:confused:

The rights I can speak of, you will disregard (wanting equal pay, wanting not to be asked how you can work and take care of the kids, wanting opinions to be viewed as of equal value), so instead I will talk about the little things.

- Wanting not to be called 'bossy' every time they try to take charge
- Wanting not to be asked 'is it that time of the month?' at the slightest signs of anger or discontent
- Wanting not to have 'big tits! nice arse' etc. shouted at you by your peers around school
- Wanting not to have 'big tits! nice arse' etc. shouted at you by strangers as you go about your business
- Wanting not to be asked 'what were you wearing?' as the first reaction to telling someone you have been sexually assaulted
- Wanting the girls after us not to quit their sport because of body confidence problems (yes - this is not caused just by men but it is still a problem that girls face far more often than men)

Believe me, I could go on, but the fact that "boobies" is under your 'interests' section says a lot about your intelligence/maturity/take on sexism, so I know I won't be getting far in this!

And I don't hate men. Feminism is not about hating men, and it never has been.
(edited 7 years ago)
These men and women who support them are all about dominating the women. Its about who cares if we whistle? Make comments? Deny them work because their a woman and may become pregnant. Or because they are pregnant. That many women get paid less as a man for the same job. Every pound a man makes a woman will make 80p. One in 250 woman suffer from an eating disorder but who cares if we repeatedly put out these bikini bodies ads, say that one body is better then the rest, body image issues are a major problem. Women dont want to be seen as objects of beauty. Women are humans too with a brain a mind thoughts of their own. Its about freedom. And for those who label all feminists or think of this word as soon as the term comes up- 'man hater' wants to rid of men, be above men; this is just false. Yes a tiny amount of women think that way. But not the majority. You just want to refrain from talking about the problem by simply accusing that the freedom and equality of women is about man hating. Are you afraid that you wont be able to harrass women at work or school anymore? And those who say its all sorted now since the equality laws were introduced, wage equality is not the only problem. And yes it still happens. Just like some businesses or employers dont pay their stuff the minium wage even though its the law. And rape. Are you really for raping a women? The defenition of rape is having sexual intercourse without a persons consent. A persons consent. Hear?. If they say no, it means no. If they refuse the first time and then say yes reluctantly it means no. If their drunk they are not in a condition to give consent. So its not a yes ok? And domestic violence. A major problem. Yes some of these problems face men. But a higher number of women face these problems. Feminism is equality for women. It focuses on women because women between men and women are facing more harassments and dicrimination. Not that it doesnt happen to men. http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/6760390
its also about girls being encouraged to do more 'female' subjects and boys masculine. Yes these are gender issues facing us today. And they do exist. Maybe you dont see it. But doesnt mean its non existent.https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3632/New-global-poll-reveals-the-top-5-workplace-challenges-facing-G20-women.aspx
http://ukfeminista.org.uk/take-action/facts-and-statistics-on-gender-inequality/
Original post by TimidPhoenix
I don't dislike feminism. I'm all for women having equal rights. It's the so called "feminism" where men are ripped to shreds and seen as inferior simply because they are male that I strongly dislike and disagree with.

ripping men to shreds or saying they are inferior isn't feminism
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending