The Student Room Group

Is it strange to go chat to a professor you studied at A Level?

Hi,

basically one of the professors at my uni is one who I studied quite heavily in my A Level course. I was so excited to find out that he worked here but I do not actually have him as a tutor so is it a bit weird if I were to knock on his door and say hi and have a chat with him about my ideas? I'm not sure if that's the sort of thing he would like because obviously it is someone appreciating his work, or if that is just very weird for a uni student?

Thanks
Reply 1
It would probably be less awkward if you sent him an email in case he forgets what you look like.
Original post by eddso
Hi,

basically one of the professors at my uni is one who I studied quite heavily in my A Level course. I was so excited to find out that he worked here but I do not actually have him as a tutor so is it a bit weird if I were to knock on his door and say hi and have a chat with him about my ideas? I'm not sure if that's the sort of thing he would like because obviously it is someone appreciating his work, or if that is just very weird for a uni student?

Thanks

Hello :smile:,

No - that'd be quite normal. University is a place where you can talk with lecturers and professors with ease - even if they aren't your tutor - they will still be happy to talk with you. I'd suggest emailing him first and asking if you could have a meeting with him and what not - probably best as oppose to just turning up at his door but he shouldn't have a problem with it.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by JustGeorgeJ

No - that'd be quite normal. University is a place where you can talk with lecturers and professors with ease - even if they aren't your tutor - they will still be happy to talk with you. I'd suggest emailing him first and asking if you could have a meeting with him and what not - probably best as oppose to just turning up at his door but he shouldn't have a problem with it.

Thanks so much :smile:

How is best to write an email like this?

Should Iliterally just say hi I'm a new first year etc etc we studied you at a level and it would be great to discuss your ideas etc?
Original post by eddso

Should Iliterally just say hi I'm a new first year etc etc we studied you at a level and it would be great to discuss your ideas etc?

I wouldn't necessarily try to set up a 1:1 talk first off. After introducing your previous study, I'd say something like "Do you have any lectures scheduled in the University which I might attend to hear more about [your theories]?" That give you that chance to refine your discussion to Uni level, meet him in a group context (these talks usually have opportunities to chat afterwards) and then you can see how you feel from there.
Original post by eddso

Yes - just like that! Just introduce yourself, explain that you remember working with them at A Level and you'd appreciate it if they had some spare time to chat about their ideas etc.

I would leave it a while, if you're desperate to do something now then send an email asking to be a research assistant/undertake an undergraduate research project with their supervision, say why you like his work and how you're familiar with it and their methods so you'd be a good candidate despite being a first year. There's a few ways it'll go, either you'll be one of quite a few people in the same situation in which case they won't really care, or he'll say that he'll keep you in mind for next year (as you can't really do a whole lot as a first year).
Reply 7
It is completely normal. This is one of the benefits of studying at university... you have direct access to some of the best academics in the field including those who are writing your text books and formulating the theories you are studying! They are university professors because they want to be there, and they want to see the next generation learn and thrive. S/he will be more than happy to discuss their work with you, especially if you are a dedicated student with interesting ideas. Just be sure to book an appointment or drop in during his/her office hours, otherwise s/he will be busy and will not appreciate the interruption.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending