The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by YouHaveProblems
You can sit all the exams in one year if you want but you won't be able to just sit one exam for each subject.
All the exam boards i know need some practical work in chemistry and biology, can't speak for psychology.

Thank you! I think I am going to call the various boards tomorrow. Better later than never. :wink:
Yeah normally you do three exams (one practical) for each subject at AS and then the same at A2. If you want it in one year you'll have to do them all in the same year. The new reforms sit all the exams in the same year but they no longer have a practical exam, the teacher scores their practical ability over the year and it's given as a separate grade to their overall a-level i believe. So you can sit the exams in summer. This is for AQA anyway i can't comment much on OCR or others but you can go on their websites and look at the past papers and see which units are being sat to go towards the qualification or even better just go onto their specification and look at the info, it'll tell everything.

Thank you!
Original post by TheVocalSardine
In that case, my post applies to england only. I will edit to make this clear.

The 3 subject in question, however, have been linear since September 2015.

Thanks a lot for all your help!
Original post by AdamCW
@YouHaveProblems - Spikyphoenix displaying exactly my point :wink: ^

What point?
does kings let you switch over to med after your first yr of biomed given that you are predicted a first or come in the top few positions of your class?
Original post by spikyphoenix
What point?

People comment their amazing scores and ask if they are alright when it's obvious and the only outcome is boasting
Original post by AdamCW
@YouHaveProblems - Spikyphoenix displaying exactly my point :wink: ^

Generalisations are not reliable though. 1 doesn't mean all or even the majority
Original post by AdamCW
I'd say St George's is the safer option as KCL is quite UKCAT heavy, but someone may be able to delve into that a bit more for you. KCL have given interviews and offers to people with worse UKCAT scores than you, but if you want the best chance of this, St Georges.

Thanks!!!
People comment their amazing scores and ask if they are alright when it's obvious and the only outcome is boasting

Umm no.
I am genuinely concerned with my chances of getting an interview call. Since international applicants make a minority, its hard to find data on the scores of international students made offers.
So yea, please excuse my anxiety of getting an interview call despite a high score as my international status puts me through a more competitive process than nationals.
Umm no.
I am genuinely concerned with my chances of getting an interview call. Since international applicants make a minority, its hard to find data on the scores of international students made offers.
So yea, please excuse my anxiety of getting an interview call despite a high score as my international status puts me through a more competitive process than nationals.

First of all, massive well done for your UKCAT result.

I'm applying as a graduate and although I have no idea about applying as an international student, grad entry is also extremely competitive so I understand your anxiousness. I accept that data may be hard to come by, but come on, your score in incredible, stop being naively suspicious.

We are all worried about being offered an interview / place at medical school, but I highly doubt that you wouldn't get at least an interview. Obviously I can't speak for the uni, but that score certainly puts you in a very good position.
Original post by AdamCW
First of all, massive well done for your UKCAT result.

I'm applying as a graduate and although I have no idea about applying as an international student, grad entry is also extremely competitive so I understand your anxiousness. I accept that data may be hard to come by, but come on, your score in incredible, stop being naively suspicious.

We are all worried about being offered an interview / place at medical school, but I highly doubt that you wouldn't get at least an interview. Obviously I can't speak for the uni, but that score certainly puts you in a very good position.

Thanks buddy.
I'm anxious also because my Uni advisor said that I'd be lucky to get even a single interview call, because there are people out there with perfect scores for IB, A levels and UKCAT.

Good luck with your application.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by pvk19.
Hi everyone,

Honest answer please: Should I apply for st.georges or KCL with a score of 627 and 5A* and the rest A's or neither?

Thanks!!

King's. They don't have a cut off point and have interviewed people with lower scores than you. 627 unlikely to meet SGUL's cut off, hence would result in an instant rejection. If you want to play the odds, go for KCL.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pvk19.
Hi everyone,

Honest answer please: Should I apply for st.georges or KCL with a score of 627 and 5A* and the rest A's or neither?

Thanks!!

I wouldn't apply to King's, purely because of the UKCAT/GCSE combo is a little low and so it's a risk. Yes, they have interviewed people with scores lower than this but there are contextual circumstances and perhaps a stronger set of GCSEs that offset this. Maybe have a look at SGUL though.
Umm no.

Hey bro I was the one who disagreed with Art science and think it's good for people to ask questions like this and that's why he said you prove his point to me, he was saying it to prove me wrong. Your UKCAT is amazing if your other credentials are good too then you will be in for a good chance.
Original post by ASTK98
King's. They don't have a cut off point and have interviewed people with lower scores than you. 627 unlikely to meet SGUL's cut off, hence would result in an instant rejection. If you want to play the odds, go for KCL.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When you say they have interviewed people with low scores and that's why they aren't ukcat heavy; the odd student with a low score doesn't mean it's not ukcat heavy. It's very unlikely for people with a low score to be interviewed
When you say they have interviewed people with low scores and that's why they aren't ukcat heavy; the odd student with a low score doesn't mean it's not ukcat heavy. It's very unlikely for people with a low score to be interviewed

UKCAT heavy Universities don't interview people below a certain score. It's a straight rejection if you don't meet the cut off - that's not the case for King's. Either way, they themselves have said that their competitive score for Medicine for 2015 entry was 630. For 2016 entry, most of the people they interviewed had a score of 650 or above.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ASTK98
UKCAT heavy Universities don't interview people below a certain score. It's a straight rejection if you don't meet the cut off - that's not the case for King's. Either way, they themselves have said that their competitive score for Medicine for 2015 entry was 630. For 2016 entry, most of the people they interviewed had a score of 650 or above.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Heavy doesn't mean they have a cut off score it means you should have a decent ukcat score to be competitive and that they weigh it to a higher degree than majority of other universities. Cut off score doesn't mean much anyway because Newcastles cut off was 575 but they weren't a ukcat heavy uni because of their application of a cut off score they are a ukcat university because of how much priority they give the ukcat.

Do you know anything about how much they weight GCSEs??
(edited 7 years ago)
Go on google and calculate tariff by the tariff calculator. You need to use predictions and u can't get A* at AS eventhough it's over 90%

Sorry what I mean is I've completed my A-Levels and achieved those grades where an A* at A2 is 140 points and an A at AS is 60 points.
Does anyone know the ukcat cut off for sgul??? Achieved grades but not wanting to waste a space because my ukcat isnt tge best
Original post by Heisenberg___
Sorry what I mean is I've completed my A-Levels and achieved those grades where an A* at A2 is 140 points and an A at AS is 60 points.

No that's not the case anymore. They don't use UCAS points like it was the other years they do a tarrif thing and the minimum tarrif is 144 where an A is 48 points. There is a tarrif calculator on the UCAS website. That's why everyone thought u had such a high UCAS tariff

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending