The Student Room Group

Will re-sitting my qualifications affect my uni applications?

Hey everyone,

Okay so what I am wondering is if re-sitting my GSCE and A-Levels will disadvantage me when applying for universities? I am currently 19 and finished college when I was 17 (due to a DOB error I was put into education a year early when we moved over to the UK at the age of 4) and since then I have been working.

My gap year turned into 2 going on 3 and I haven't been able to figure out what I want to study but I feel that it is time I got back in to education before it is too late. Now I studied BTEC in college because I didn't do so great on my GCSE results and unfortunately, didn't do too great on the BTEC either because I guess I just didn't take it as seriously as I should have at the time but I know that I am capable of so much more and will be able to get the results I need now that I am focused. My aim is to re-sit all my GSCEs and sit A-levels independently however I have read that re-sitting courses is not allowed for some unis and may disadvantage the applicant for others. My question is firstly to what extent does this actually affect the application and does anyone have first hand experience of this? and also because I didn't technically sit A-Levels at college would taking them outside of a college or 6th form affect my application and does this even count as a re-sit since I didn't technically sit them first time round?

I would be really grateful if anyone has any wisdom they can impart on me :smile:
1. You did sit them and UCAS requires you to put all exams down irrespective of results.
2. Your referee cani mention the birth thing.
3. Only on rare occasions will resits prejudice you anyway (i.e medicine)
4. A levels sat outside school wont prejudice you, they are just interested in the grade.
Original post by 999tigger
1. You did sit them and UCAS requires you to put all exams down irrespective of results.
2. Your referee cani mention the birth thing.
3. Only on rare occasions will resits prejudice you anyway (i.e medicine)
4. A levels sat outside school wont prejudice you, they are just interested in the grade.

Thank you!:smile:
yeah I'm aware that I would have to declare any previous results anyway, so even though I did a BTEC it would still be considered a re-sit for me to take A-levels?
and also in terms of a referee, would I still use my old form tutor in college even though I left nearly 3 years ago?
Original post by sagaciousness
Thank you!:smile:
yeah I'm aware that I would have to declare any previous results anyway, so even though I did a BTEC it would still be considered a re-sit for me to take A-levels?
and also in terms of a referee, would I still use my old form tutor in college even though I left nearly 3 years ago?

If you havent done A levels before then it cant be a resit. its more or less irrelevant except for medicine, wgere most unis do not like resits.

Youd have to use someone who had knowledge of your work or someone in a position of responsibility (no family) who would be willing to provide one for you.
If you havent done A levels before then it cant be a resit. its more or less irrelevant except for medicine, wgere most unis do not like resits.

Youd have to use someone who had knowledge of your work or someone in a position of responsibility (no family) who would be willing to provide one for you.

okay cool that clears things up a bit, thanks for the advice :biggrin:
okay cool that clears things up a bit, thanks for the advice :biggrin:

Dont worry about resits just get the grades,
Dont worry about resits just get the grades,

I think my main worry is that I want to be applying to good unis once I have all my grades and I know with hard work I can get the A's that I need, there is a European and Middle Eastern Languages course at Oxford I have had my eye on that I would kill to do and I'm worried with it being a prestigious uni it would hinder my chance of acceptance if everything is a resit
Hey everyone,

Okay so what I am wondering is if re-sitting my GSCE and A-Levels will disadvantage me when applying for universities? I am currently 19 and finished college when I was 17

Your entire academic track record will be considered when you apply to university. Your original disappointing outcomes coupled with hopefully significant improvement in the future will all play a part in the decision they make. Whether you are technically resitting A levels or not will be a minor consideration when they assess your potential.

If you successfully retake GCSE and self study relevant A levels, I would expect many universities to look favourably on your application. To turn around a poor original performance is a very positive thing.

Whether Oxford is a realistic goal, only time will tell. Concentrate on boosting your grades. Get back into study and then give some thought to whether an access to higher education course might be an option.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest