The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

I studied at City University London - AMA

Scroll to see replies

I'm considering City as one of my options but because I was late to look at City University I couldn't go to any open days.
My friend told me that the university was not too good so I'm kind of worried. What is your honest opinion about the university? Like the social or the people going there. I'm not too sure what my friends were talking about but they said they saw a lot of weird looking people walking in the university.
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Reply 81
Original post by Donkey_Donkey
I'm considering City as one of my options but because I was late to look at City University I couldn't go to any open days.
My friend told me that the university was not too good so I'm kind of worried. What is your honest opinion about the university? Like the social or the people going there. I'm not too sure what my friends were talking about but they said they saw a lot of weird looking people walking in the university.

I think it depends on what you do. If you're in Cass, then it's a lot better. I don't think I've ever seen a Cass student looking miserable.

Overall, the uni is okay; I don't want to lie to you and say it's amazing. Though if you're in it for the social events, I don't think you'll like it too much here. You'd have to do your own thing with your friends if you want a good social life because the student union don't really organise too many events. With regards to the weird looking people, I think you get there in a lot of London unis lol... There is quite a large foreign presence in the uni though.
Original post by UWS
I think it depends on what you do. If you're in Cass, then it's a lot better. I don't think I've ever seen a Cass student looking miserable.

Overall, the uni is okay; I don't want to lie to you and say it's amazing. Though if you're in it for the social events, I don't think you'll like it too much here. You'd have to do your own thing with your friends if you want a good social life because the student union don't really organise too many events. With regards to the weird looking people, I think you get there in a lot of London unis lol... There is quite a large foreign presence in the uni though.

Thanks for this thread it has helped a lot! Also how friendly are the students there?
Reply 83
Original post by UniApplicant2017
Thanks for this thread it has helped a lot! Also how friendly are the students there?

Most of the students here are friendly, just like at other unis. It really depends what course you do. As I said, Cass students are like one big family so you wouldn't go wrong there. You still get friendly students in other courses, don't get me wrong. A good thing to do is to join societies so you can meet people from other courses :smile:
You, Sir, are a living meme and a living legend!
Reply 85
Original post by RandomStudent890
You, Sir, are a living meme and a living legend!

Why thank you sir :biggrin:
Original post by UWS
Congrats to all new starters at City University London! I studied Computer Science for 4 years and now I'm on a graduate scheme for Sky. For those starting, reply with your questions!

I'll try to answer everything I know about living in halls, uni, courses, places to eat, career prospects, nightlife, etc..

Or you can PM me if there's anything you want to discuss privately.

Go!

What other kind of job can you get with a degree in Computer Science?
Reply 87
Original post by Oxidation
What other kind of job can you get with a degree in Computer Science?

There are many jobs that you can apply for. Programmer, database admin, software engineer, UX designer, systems analyst, technical consultant, web developer, tester... The opportunities are endless.
Original post by UWS
There are many jobs that you can apply for. Programmer, database admin, software engineer, UX designer, systems analyst, technical consultant, web developer, tester... The opportunities are endless.

Oh thanks. Such a vast field! :smile:
Original post by UWS
Congrats to all new starters at City University London! I studied Computer Science for 4 years and now I'm on a graduate scheme for Sky. For those starting, reply with your questions!

I'll try to answer everything I know about living in halls, uni, courses, places to eat, career prospects, nightlife, etc..

Or you can PM me if there's anything you want to discuss privately.

Go!

orwell was right. whats the point of going to a subpar uni to earn a sub par degree when there are no real jobs for u in the real world?
Reply 90
Original post by Risobelle
orwell was right. whats the point of going to a subpar uni to earn a sub par degree when there are no real jobs for u in the real world?

what i meant to say was the availability of real jobs in the UK. I mean you can always listen to what your minister once suggested you do if there are no jobs. go stack shelves.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/feb/17/iain-duncan-smith-shelf-stacking
Original post by UWS

Thanks. I was thinking to apply for a business course :biggrin: I guess most universities are the same when we look at the social side. I think my thoughts of the uni is better now. I shouldn't really listen to what my friend said about the uni since we all have different opinions :smile:
Hi, I recently applied for their Foundation in Business & Economics with Accounting with January intake 2017. Could you tell me in general about City, University London and the INTO insurance which seem compulsory for all International Student?

Thanks
Reply 94
Original post by JasonLng
Hi, I recently applied for their Foundation in Business & Economics with Accounting with January intake 2017. Could you tell me in general about City, University London and the INTO insurance which seem compulsory for all International Student?

Thanks

Hi,

What specifically would you like to know about the university?

I'm afraid I can't answer about the INTO insurance, I wasn't an international student :frown:
Original post by UWS
Hi,

What specifically would you like to know about the university?

I'm afraid I can't answer about the INTO insurance, I wasn't an international student :frown:

is the area around the University safe? How's the employer rating?
Reply 96
is the area around the University safe? How's the employer rating?

The area is safe. Like most places in London, don't go walking around with your phone flashing around or don't show off expensive things. Walk on the main streets and you'll be fine.

The uni has a very good record for graduate jobs. You don't have to worry about it. now that the uni is a part of the University of London, it'll look better on your CV :smile:
Original post by UWS
The area is safe. Like most places in London, don't go walking around with your phone flashing around or don't show off expensive things. Walk on the main streets and you'll be fine.

The uni has a very good record for graduate jobs. You don't have to worry about it. now that the uni is a part of the University of London, it'll look better on your CV :smile:

What do you mean by 'now the uni is part of the University of London', was it not part of it?
Could you tell me then story please, thank you
Reply 98
What do you mean by 'now the uni is part of the University of London', was it not part of it?
Could you tell me then story please, thank you

It's called City, University of London now. They only joined the "University of London" last year I believe.

Read here for more info
http://www.london.ac.uk/
BSkyB is a dying business....

The future is YouTube (owned by Google) and Netflix.

The only thing keeping BSkyB afloat is Sky Sports. Once they lose big rights to the BBC/BT sport, they are finished.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending