The Student Room Group

My parents dont speak to me in my mothertongue

I'm south Asian in Britain and speak urdu. I prefer answers from an asian perspective but if anyone else has decent answers feel free to put them in

I was born in UK to a Pakistani family. I only learnt urdu when I was 10 and I'm proud of it. But I feel it's gone into waste because my parents and a bunch of other relatives speak to me in English. I'm fed up of it I'm asian for God's sake and know urdu. Even my cousins speak to me in English and I'm fed up of it. Whenever people are speaking it in front of me I get so left out because if I join in I know they'll reply In English. I asked my parents to speak to Me in it and they won't and just say understanding is enough. My mom always complains when I try and speak urdu to relatives. It's hypocritical because my dad insisted that i should learn it. I learnt it and it's gone into waste like my tatti.

It has come to the point I don't want to speak urdu with my parents or hardly anyone (expect for a few relatives who make an effort) and I want to not know it anymore because it's gone in waste

I want to be connected to my homeland and relatives and interact with them like this

I don't want to speak English to my relatives anymore

Please help

I'm gonna cry now
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

first of all, you are in UK so speak English.
go back to Pakistan if you want to speak Urdu all day.

your parents and relatives choice of language is their's to make, not yours.

you can be proud of your ethnicity and wear your national costume everyday. eat your cuisine everyday. speak all you want your language. but don't drag people to things you want. let them live their life.

hitler is proud of his aryan race that is why he killed 3M jews. whites are proud of their race that is why they slaughtered native americans almost to extinction. so, you may watch were your "pride" for being south asian may take you.
Original post by applechips

you can be proud of your ethnicity and wear your national costume everyday. eat your cuisine everyday. speak all you want your language. but don't drag people to things you want. let them live their life.

hitler is proud of his aryan race that is why he killed 3M jews. whites are proud of their race that is why they slaughtered native americans almost to extinction. so, you may watch were your "pride" for being south asian may take you.

exactly. your motherland is the UK, theirs is pakistan.
If you really wanna speak Urdu then speak Urdu. If they always talk to you in English but you reply in Urdu I'm sure they'll get the hint
What nationality are you?
Reply 5
Original post by Duncan2012
What nationality are you?

British Pakistani
Reply 6
Original post by Christie_xx
If you really wanna speak Urdu then speak Urdu. If they always talk to you in English but you reply in Urdu I'm sure they'll get the hint

Surprisingly they never got the hint
I smell a troll. Do yourself a favour and click the log out button and never sign back in again, stop oppressing Asians who speak with their mother tongue. It's clear to me that you are trying to persuade people on here that speaking in the mother tongue is a bad idea even though you want to speak it. I get that we are in England but it's multi cultural, different languages are spoken here and it's fine not to speak English at home if it's preferred and easier. Speaking a different language is a beautiful thing and you're such a troll if your parents don't allow you to speak Urdu at home, my parents openly encourage it so I can converse with my elderly relatives but also be able to talk to other people in Punjabi and Urdu.
Original post by Rhythmical
I smell a troll. Do yourself a favour and click the log out button and never sign back in again, stop oppressing Asians who speak with their mother tongue. It's clear to me that you are trying to persuade people on here that speaking in the mother tongue is a bad idea even though you want to speak it. I get that we are in England but it's multi cultural, different languages are spoken here and it's fine not to speak English at home if it's preferred and easier. Speaking a different language is a beautiful thing and you're such a troll if your parents don't allow you to speak Urdu at home, my parents openly encourage it so I can converse with my elderly relatives but also be able to talk to other people in Punjabi and Urdu.

There's bothing embarrassing or wrong about being bilingual,it should be encouraged :yy:
Original post by queen-bee
There's bothing embarrassing or wrong about being bilingual,it should be encouraged :yy:

Exactly, OP is a clear troll as he said in another thread that South Asians act white now, it seems to me like it's oppression to start a debate but to divide the website.
Lol at your parents tbh

aren't there tons of benefits to being bilingual?
Original post by BabyLadDarren
Lol at your parents tbh

aren't there tons of benefits to being bilingual?

yeap. claiming benefits while not doing a proper day's work in their lives.
Move to Pakistan then
Um. What the actual **** at some of you in this thread? Yes he lives in the UK but he's perfectly entitled to use whatever language he likes around people who speak that language. Why the **** are you trying to suppress bilingualism?

I always forget how moronic and extremely nationalistic some members of TSR are. There's nothing wrong with using another language; just because you can't understand it.... that's your problem, go cry a river.

OP don't give up on your second language / mother tongue.

Original post by applechips

You're literallly comparing this situation to hitler are you actually ****ing serious? Did you ****ing lose 1000 ****ing braincells a second when you typed this? You are genuinely a moron and should be euthanised alongside with thoe who liked your post before you post more dumb **** like this.
Original post by Inexorably
Um. What the actual **** at some of you in this thread? Yes he lives in the UK but he's perfectly entitled to use whatever language he likes around people who speak that language. Why the **** are you trying to suppress bilingualism?

I always forget how moronic and extremely nationalistic some members of TSR are. There's nothing wrong with using another language; just because you can't understand it.... that's your problem, go cry a river.

OP don't give up on your second language / mother tongue.

You're literallly comparing this situation to hitler are you actually ****ing serious? Did you ****ing lose 1000 ****ing braincells a second when you typed this? You are genuinely a moron and should be euthanised alongside with thoe who liked your post before you post more dumb **** like this.

But he's complaining that people around him don't want to speak that language, so if he's so desperate to speak it he should move somewhere where it's widely spoken
Original post by Mr Moon Man
But he's complaining that people around him don't want to speak that language, so if he's so desperate to speak it he should move somewhere where it's widely spoken

Yes, he wants to speak it; but I don't think he wants to speak it so badly that he'd be willing to sacrifice literally everything else for it. :lol: :facepalm2:
Original post by Mr Moon Man

He's complaining that his relatives won't. Not the entirety of the UK. That is a complete massive generalisation you and the other posters have tried to make.

And oh I do so love this 'well just move somewhere else' response, as if it's that simple to afford to move and live in another country. God how idealistic.
Original post by khan_star
I'm south Asian in Britain and speak urdu. I prefer answers from an asian perspective but if anyone else has decent answers feel free to put them in

I was born in UK to a Pakistani family. I only learnt urdu when I was 10 and I'm proud of it. But I feel it's gone into waste because my parents and a bunch of other relatives speak to me in English. I'm fed up of it I'm asian for God's sake and know urdu. Even my cousins speak to me in English and I'm fed up of it. Whenever people are speaking it in front of me I get so left out because if I join in I know they'll reply In English. I asked my parents to speak to Me in it and they won't and just say understanding is enough. My mom always complains when I try and speak urdu to relatives. It's hypocritical because my dad insisted that i should learn it. I learnt it and it's gone into waste like my tatti.

It has come to the point I don't want to speak urdu with my parents or hardly anyone (expect for a few relatives who make an effort) and I want to not know it anymore because it's gone in waste

I want to be connected to my homeland and relatives and interact with them like this

I don't want to speak English to my relatives anymore

Please help

I'm gonna cry now
If you didn't learn Urdu into you were 10, then English is your mothertongue. The definition of mothertongue is the language you leanred first, not the one you culturally identify with.

Also, I can understand why your father made you learn but why your family only speak English to you: your father wanted you to appreciate your cultural heritage as a Pakistani, but at the same time your family came to the UK and (evidently) wants you to understand that you're British. They came to live in the UK because they (again, evidently) wanted to be British - why, in that case, would they encourage you to use Urdu as an everyday language, when you're neither a native speaker nor were born where it's spoken natively?

TL;DR: You were born in the UK and your native language is English. Get over yourself.
Reply 18
Chalo beta koy bhaat nai :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by khan_star
British Pakistani

That's not a nationality.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending