The Student Room Group

Kings College London- Medicine 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ZainabBaber
I gave my UKCAT test and was satisfied with all the scores except for the Verbal Reasoning section. I got 480 in VR, 650 in QR and 620 in AR. However, I got a BAND 1 in the SJT. I did O levels instead of GCSE's and got 2A*5A and 1B and am predicted A*AA for my A levels. Apart from that, I've done quite a lot of extra curricular:I was the Head girl of my school for 4 years, I am the head of the community and welfare society of my college and am one of the best debaters of my school and college.I also came 1st in a national video competition by the British Council and have taken work experience in a hospital and local Clinic. I was a little disheartened because of my UKCAT score but really want to apply for medicine at King's. What are the chances do you think? Will the rest of my academic and extras outweigh the VR score?? Please let me know!Thanks!

It's very unlikely as King's are quite UKCAT heavy. I would recommend applying to unis which do not focus on the UKCAT.
Original post by ZainabBaber
I gave my UKCAT test and was satisfied with all the scores except for the Verbal Reasoning section. I got 480 in VR, 650 in QR and 620 in AR. However, I got a BAND 1 in the SJT. I did O levels instead of GCSE's and got 2A*5A and 1B and am predicted A*AA for my A levels. Apart from that, I've done quite a lot of extra curricular:I was the Head girl of my school for 4 years, I am the head of the community and welfare society of my college and am one of the best debaters of my school and college.I also came 1st in a national video competition by the British Council and have taken work experience in a hospital and local Clinic. I was a little disheartened because of my UKCAT score but really want to apply for medicine at Glasgow. What are the chances do you think? Will the rest of my academic and extras outweigh the VR score?? Please let me know!Thanks!

Don't mean it in a bad way, but I highly doubt King's would consider an application with a UKCAT score lower than 600.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 182
Does anyone think I'd stand a chance at kings with these GCSEs
3A*
3A
2B - B in Math
1C
Original post by vitae
Does anyone think I'd stand a chance at kings with these GCSEs
3A*
3A
2B - B in Math
1C

As long as other parts of your application are good, yea

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it worth applying to King's with these stats?
UKCAT: 660 average band 2
GCSE: 6A*s 4As
AS: AAAAA
A2: (predicted) A*A*A*A
Pretty strong PS
Thanks in advance!
Original post by mithi98
Pretty strong PS
Thanks in advance!

If your UKCAT is in the 70th percentile, yes.
Original post by mithi98
Pretty strong PS
Thanks in advance!

Yes. Your UKCAT score is more than good enough for King's and you have strong GCSEs/Predictions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ASTK98
Yes. Your UKCAT score is more than good enough for King's and you have strong GCSEs/Predictions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!
Applying tomorrow :smile:
Reply 188
Hey all,

Canadian here wondering if applying to King's is worth it.
A-level prediction: A*AA or AAA depending upon how my teachers feel
UKCAT: VR 700, QR 900, AR 890, Average 830, SJT Band 2
Personal Statement: Still weak after many attempts.
Volunteering and work experience do exist.

My high UKCAT score makes me think that I may have a chance of getting into King's, especially since international students tend to do poorly on the UKCAT.

Thoughts?
Original post by BHB2016
Hey all,

Canadian here wondering if applying to King's is worth it.
A-level prediction: A*AA or AAA depending upon how my teachers feel
UKCAT: VR 700, QR 900, AR 890, Average 830, SJT Band 2
Personal Statement: Still weak after many attempts.
Volunteering and work experience do exist.

My high UKCAT score makes me think that I may have a chance of getting into King's, especially since international students tend to do poorly on the UKCAT.

Thoughts?

Why do you think your PS is weak?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 190
Original post by ASTK98
Why do you think your PS is weak?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Others' opinions; I think the statement is okay, but I also have a bit of a denial problem so I can't see it objectively.
would kings accept me with these stats?
UKCAT: 650 (VR - 540; QR - 720; AR - 690)
Predicted AAA
Personal Statement: Strong

Its the ukcat that im worried about ... on the ukcat uni guide, it says that last yr kings accepted 630 and the overall average has gone down .. would that mean i maybe have a chance??
Reply 192
Hi, considering applying for Kings but not sure if my UKCAT would mean it's not worth it?
GCSE's: 9A* 3A
AS levels: AAAA
A2 predictions: A*AA (and an A* in the Welsh Bac - not sure if Kings accept it or not?)
UKCAT: 650 average

Can't find out how Kings use the UKCAT, do they usually have a threshold or not can anyone help me with how they use it and if its worth me applying? Thanks
Reply 193
Original post by mm_7
would kings accept me with these stats?
UKCAT: 650 (VR - 540; QR - 720; AR - 690)
Predicted AAA
Personal Statement: Strong

Its the ukcat that im worried about ... on the ukcat uni guide, it says that last yr kings accepted 630 and the overall average has gone down .. would that mean i maybe have a chance??

Original post by wg2398
Hi, considering applying for Kings but not sure if my UKCAT would mean it's not worth it?
GCSE's: 9A* 3A
AS levels: AAAA
A2 predictions: A*AA (and an A* in the Welsh Bac - not sure if Kings accept it or not?)
UKCAT: 650 average

Can't find out how Kings use the UKCAT, do they usually have a threshold or not can anyone help me with how they use it and if its worth me applying? Thanks

If you're worrying about your UKCAT scores you should be okay,650 is still a good score and it looks like your other stats are good too. The UKCAT scores this year, I believe, are worse than last year. And last year 630 was a good score.
I believe King's don't have a cut-off UKCAT score. The scores they post online is the average UKCAT score that got interviews or offers.
Original post by Rifdhy
If you're worrying about your UKCAT scores you should be okay,650 is still a good score and it looks like your other stats are good too. The UKCAT scores this year, I believe, are worse than last year. And last year 630 was a good score.
I believe King's don't have a cut-off UKCAT score. The scores they post online is the average UKCAT score that got interviews or offers.

You got a link to the average score of applicants who were invited to interview/received offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 195
Original post by ASTK98
You got a link to the average score of applicants who were invited to interview/received offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My bad, just checked King's website and 630 was a 'competitive score' last year.
Original post by Rifdhy

Thank you so much! I really wanted to apply so hopefully I get a chance.
How much do kings value Personal statements in the shortlisting process ? Worried about my extra curricular etc
Original post by stressed16
How much do kings value Personal statements in the shortlisting process ? Worried about my extra curricular etc

A lot. I think they even mark it but not 100% sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by stressed16

Yeah a lot. I'm currently sitting on the toilet contemplating life but I have applied to both the grad and undergrad courses with KCL and I phoned their admissions team prior to applying and remember writing down that the PS counts for a lot. I can't remember which, but it was either the 4 or 5 year course where UKCAT and PS were both held at 50\50 in terms of how serious they take them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending