The Student Room Group

Rodrigo Duterte kills over 3000 drug users and dealers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3828977/Philippine-President-Rodrigo-Duterte-compares-crackdown-drugs-Hitler-s-Holocaust-cuts-ties-US.html

Do you think it's a good or bad idea? On one hand, he's reducing the drug problem but on the other it's been reported that some innocent people have also been killed.
Duterte Harry would certainly deliver a hard Brexit if he were in charge here...
I would say that being a murderer is worse than being a drug user.
*alleged dealers/users. Some of us still believe in due process and the rule of law, not extrajudicial killings.

The guy has got demagogic violent autocrat written all over him. I suspect we will be hearing a lot more about him over the next few years.
It's one thing to say that drug addicts should be murdered, but a lot of people killed by this are totally innocent of what they were accused of. People can make false allegations that get people killed, and people get killed because of mistaken identity.

If you want drug users and dealers to be killed and think that's the right way forward, you go through the proper process. At least with the death penalty (which by the way I don't support), people have go through a trial of some sort - what Duterte is repsonsible for now is just state sanctioned vigilante murder without due process and it's disgusting.

You also need to bear in mind that given how these accusations can easily lead to people being killed, there is huge potential for abuse. People could get people killed just because someone doesn't like them for whatever reason. What about journalists trying to expose things like corruption or police malpractice? The people they would be investigating could get them out of the way by accusing them of dealing drugs and having them killed. You could even get drug cartels abusing it to get rid of rival cartels by bribing the police (to leave their group alone) while informing them on rival cartels. None of these are ridiculous concerns to have, given how much corruption there is in countries like the Philippines.

Absolutely ****ing sick that some people are cheering this on.
Original post by grabembythepussy
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3828977/Philippine-President-Rodrigo-Duterte-compares-crackdown-drugs-Hitler-s-Holocaust-cuts-ties-US.html

Do you think it's a good or bad idea? On one hand, he's reducing the drug problem but on the other it's been reported that some innocent people have also been killed.

Sickening news; even more sickening are people cheering this on as if it's a great and moral thing to do. Drug addicts are human too
It's absolutely unbelievable that anyone could cheer this on. It shouldn't even be questionable; what Duterte is doing is as bad as it gets. Killing 3 million drug users is no better than killing 3 million of anyone.
Reply 7
The fact that he is getting away with murdering innocents is just amazing. I hope he's ready to do the same to his family or close friends if one of them are drug users. The fact that he is killing people who could be good use to the country is sad and sickening.
Reply 8
Original post by the bear
Duterte Harry would certainly deliver a hard Brexit if he were in charge here...

Not sure the murder of 3000 people is a joking matter.
Original post by fgn
Not sure the murder of 3000 people is a joking matter.

it is not really for us to criticize the policies of Third World countries who were oppressed by Colonial White Countries.*
Original post by KingBradly
It's absolutely unbelievable that anyone could cheer this on. It shouldn't even be questionable; what Duterte is doing is as bad as it gets. Killing 3 million drug users is no better than killing 3 million of anyone.

It's not really unbelievable. While absolutely not condoning the crackdown myself, I can understand why it would have great support in the Philippines. The situation with corruption and crime in many places has been so bad for so long that many of them genuinely believe a 'purge' is wholly necessary. Plus Duterte has a proven track record of reducing crime via police brutality and death squads in his home city when he was Mayor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending