The Student Room Group

2017 Bristol medicine hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RichiePhoenix_
Those who are slightly concerned about GCSE grades you should note that the Academic score is 20% (A-level score: 12%, GCSE score: 8%) so the total score makes up for only 8% so don't be deterred too much by your GCSE grades.

Most people won't have achieved A levels so do they look at AS levels. I have achieved A levels of AAA. Plus A in 4th AS. Last year I was predicted A*A*A* as my AS levels were all over 95%. BUT the exams were so hard that I just missed the A* grade by in all subjects between 2 and 5 ums marks.

I think schools inflate the A2 predictions as very few of my friends met theirs.

I hate the way the A* is worked out. If it was over 90% over the whole A level including the AS then I woukd have 3A*.
Reply 81
I feel this year the competition will be fierce at Bristol as a lot of people scored quite low in Ukcat and their top priority is Bristol now

Posted from TSR Mobile
I believe Bristol do not look at the Situational Judgement section of the UKCAT. Can someone verify this please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
Original post by parawitch
Hi, I am a gap year reapplicant who applied for bristol last year. My PS was 0.5% away from the interview threshold so I used the feedback to get some more hospital work experience abroad and currently have two care-related jobs. As the PS is subjective, how likely would I be to be called for an interview this year? I know it's a risky choice but I really love bristol as a uni. My stats are 8A* and 2A at GCSE, AAAA at As, AAA (achieved) at GCSE, 670 UKCAT and band 1 SJT.Thank you.

How much volunteering or work experience did your ps have the last time you applied, I'm thinking of whether to apply to Bristol but on my ps I have only mentioned one work experience and one volunteering experiences I have had, that is not enough right?
Original post by Pochi101
I feel this year the competition will be fierce at Bristol as a lot of people scored quite low in Ukcat and their top priority is Bristol now

Posted from TSR Mobile

last year it was the only university that didn't require any admissions test.
Original post by Miloinmyblood
I believe Bristol do not look at the Situational Judgement section of the UKCAT. Can someone verify this please?

Yes. This year only - they might include it next year. See http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media/undergraduate/admissions-statements/2017/medicine.pdf section 4.1
Original post by nu7
How much volunteering or work experience did your ps have the last time you applied, I'm thinking of whether to apply to Bristol but on my ps I have only mentioned one work experience and one volunteering experiences I have had, that is not enough right?

It isnt 'quantity' of work exp that counts - its what you say about it that displays incite, maturity, reflection (ie. I thought, I feel, I was surprised that ..etc) that counts.
Reply 87
Original post by returnmigrant
It isnt 'quantity' of work exp that counts - its what you say about it that displays incite, maturity, reflection (ie. I thought, I feel, I was surprised that ..etc) that counts.

I guess you go to Bristol medical school?... With the admissions structure do you think a very very very good personal statement can make up for modest GCSE's (4A* 6A) & a low UKCAT (617?) I know you may go there and you do not work for the admissions team lol but I think you'd have a better idea of how much the PS can sway your application to getting an interview
Original post by nu7
I guess you go to Bristol medical school?... With the admissions structure do you think a very very very good personal statement can make up for modest GCSE's (4A* 6A) & a low UKCAT (617?) I know you may go there and you do not work for the admissions team lol but I think you'd have a better idea of how much the PS can sway your application to getting an interview

No-one here can tell you if you'll get an interview, or an offer. If they could then the whole admissions process would be a bit pointless wouldn't it.
Reply 89
Original post by returnmigrant
No-one here can tell you if you'll get an interview, or an offer. If they could then the whole admissions process would be a bit pointless wouldn't it.

ok thank you anyway
Hi another Bristol medicine hopeful here !
GCSE : 4A* 7A
AS: AAAAB Biology, Maths, Computer Science, IT (taken early) and Chemistry
A2 predictions : AAA Biology , Maths and Chemistry
UKCAT : VR- 760, QR-850, AR-690, SJ- Band 1, Average-767
Work Experience : Two weeks across three hospitals and various volunteering
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DibbyDabby
Hi another Bristol medicine hopeful here !
GCSE : 4A* 7A
AS: AAAAB Biology, Maths, Computer Science, IT (taken early) and Chemistry
A2 predictions : AAA Biology , Maths and Chemistry
UKCAT : VR- 760, QR-850, AR-690, SJ- Band 1, Average-767
Work Experience : Two weeks across three hospitals and various volunteering

Hey! You sent your application yet? Where else you applying? :redface:
Original post by isabella1999
Hey! You sent your application yet? Where else you applying? :redface:

Yep sent it on Wednesday
Also applying to Southampton, Manchester, Kings College London and probably St Georges for Biomedical Science (haven't added my fifth yet)

Where else are you applying ?
Original post by DibbyDabby
Yep sent it on Wednesday
Also applying to Southampton, Manchester, Kings College London and probably St Georges for Biomedical Science (haven't added my fifth yet)

Where else are you applying ?

I sent mine yesterday :biggrin: Cambridge, Edinburgh and Birmingham! Was considering kings but didn't in the end. I don't think I'm having a fifth, ooo they let some transfer to med at St. George's right?
Thank you so much! I feel much better after reading your comment :smile:

GCSES: 7A*'s 2A's
IB Predicted Grades: 43/45 points
UKCAT: 630 Avg (1890/2700) because it includes a piloted section, decision making.

I've sent in my UCAS form yesterday and I really do hope they'll consider me for an offer! I am confident my PS is good enough to get me an interview (Hopefully, lol). It's been my targeted choice ever since!
Original post by isabella1999
Finalised Bristol as one of my choices, loved it so much! A bit apprehensive about my PS still though :s-smilie:

What are your stats (gcses, as results, volunteering etc...) ?
Reply 96
Original post by Emir Imran
Thank you so much! I feel much better after reading your comment :smile:

GCSES: 7A*'s 2A's
IB Predicted Grades: 43/45 points
UKCAT: 630 Avg (1890/2700) because it includes a piloted section, decision making.

I've sent in my UCAS form yesterday and I really do hope they'll consider me for an offer! I am confident my PS is good enough to get me an interview (Hopefully, lol). It's been my targeted choice ever since!

If you have any examples of volunteering how long were they for?
Well I did volunteer as a morning caretaker at an orphanage for 6 months and also at an old folks home. Plus I was head of public relations for a humanitarian aid project at a place called Sarawak in Malaysia to help the poor locals for 4 days 3 nights. I've become a facilitator multiple times for four multiple intelligence tests (MIT) that were run at several schools during my time of study at Pre-University level (IB), that's around 4 semesters in total, so 1 MIT session at 1 school for each semester.

I've shadowed doctors in a city hospital and rural hospital from where I live. Both were about 3 days per placement. I hope that's enough though :frown:
Count me in.

Hoping for an interview. Will probably reject an offer should I get one. Had another option left.
Would quite like to make the interview though.

My personal statement makes me confident but not at the same time as I don't what they look for so that it ends up being 70%!?!

Anyways, good luck to all applicants. If you don't get interviewed don't be upset as Bristol is one of the most competitive I have seen for medicine with approximately 18 applications per place! Nearly 4x times more competitive than Oxbridge!!!!!!
Also, what are my chances of interview. My weakest part is probably my UKCAT (617 Band 2) but rest are great. I am a Scottish applicant so won't list grades as many probs won't understand?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending