The Student Room Group

Toughest video games you've ever completed?

Scroll to see replies

Halo, specifically the master chief collection was probobly the best and most consistent quality game I have ever played, as with many games the quality ranges through your age but Halo only got better for me with its story becauming mature as I got older as things such as symbolism and deep context really stuck with me.
Buck Rogers Countdown to Doomsday (Mega Drive) buck-rogers-countdown-to-doomsday-usa-europe.png

Pretty much sealed my 2.2 fate
Harry Potter & The Philosophers Stone, getting past Fluffy, Devil's Snare, Wizard Chess and the troll was really difficult

Star Wars Jedi Power Battles, the amount of jumping over bottomless pits you had to do was ridiculous, even more difficult in two player mode
Reply 103
Generally most PvE games aren't that difficult. At most you just have to learn the mechanics and know a strategy. The mechanics don't change and bosses have a set-pattern of attack and movement. This is why I find games such as DS more tedious than difficult.

For me, a difficult game should be one that isn't built entirely on running the same crap 1000x because the game has been purposely designed to throw you off or make the first run impossible. It's about thinking on the spot and getting through somehow but it won't be easy.

On one extreme, I like games that test your analytics, such as puzzle games. At the same time, having a timer of some sort. Eg, Catherine. On the other extreme, some games are purely based on reactions and experience, such as shooting games and playing rhythm games on high difficulty. I like a blend of both, which is why I prefer high level / competitive online Player vs Player. No PvE will match the difficulty of PvP at competition level. As generally your opponent(s) are unpredictable, knowledgeable and cunning. A total contrast to tedious bosses with static routines.

Games that were difficult for me when I was young but probably not as difficult as seems:
Super Star Wars - SNES
Earthworm Jim - SNES
Killer Instinct - SNES
Perfect Dark - Perfect Agent difficulty - N64

Modern games:
Rhythm games such as Project Diva on Extra Extreme difficulty
World of Warcraft - Some raid bosses are pretty unforgiving. One muck-up and the entire raid group will wipe. Arena PvP.
Pokemon / Pokemon Showdown - Competitive Player vs Player. Requires deep knowledge of game mechanics and reading of opponent. Team building is also an art that is very difficult to get right. Not the actual storymode - which is a joke these days.
DoDonPachi and most bullet hell games - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHqN_fH2S7k
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Robinin
Skimming through this thread, I've seen Catherine a few times and, yeah, some of those puzzles proper *******ed me for the first few (or more, lol) times on normal difficulty. Don't even get me started on hard difficulty XD.

Aside from that, no joke, Pokemon Red- the broken bloody mess of a game XD. I love Pokemon but I so nearly rage quit this one, took me weeks to beat Sabrina, lol (**** off Alakazam). I'm glad the games are a lot more balanced now.

Yeah, a very tough gym leader, but worse than that was the way to come to Sabrina... **** confusing teleporting places! it has driven me crazy so much to find the right order out to fight against her.*

Oh and don't forget to mention the thoughest opponent ever in this game - Lance! I hated his dragon pokemons, be it Dragonite or Gyarados. Almost one hit KO by hydro pump or hyper beam!! :angry: what an annoying fight. When I saw and fight against him, it lasts five(!) weeks till I have coped with this breathtaking strong opponent!

I think I've completed more games than anyone I know being a complete addict but for me the worst one was: I honestly don't know I have played games since I was in nappies and I am not sure which game I could claim was the hardest. Manic Miner has got to be up there though those last levels were hell, but I eventually did it. Pimania though the ultimate in hard games only one person on Earth managed it, and she was lucky.
My philosophy assignment :frown:
Reply 107
The Smurfs. This game was literally impossible.
Original post by Josb
The Smurfs. This game was literally impossible.

Do you mean this one for the SNES? can remember me to play that as a child. It is been a while since that time, so I cannot judge how difficult it is.

Have played the smurfs around the world through (for SNES as well). Gosh, that was quite tough to bring it to an end (especially the African and Asian stages)
Reply 109
Original post by Kallisto
Do you mean this one for the SNES? can remember me to play that as a child. It is been a while since that time, so I cannot judge how difficult it is.

Have played the smurfs around the world through (for SNES as well). Gosh, that was quite tough to bring it to an end (especially the African and Asian stages)

Yes, on SNES. It was bloody impossible.
Doing Halo reach on legendary solo just to get that achievement :angry:
Original post by Josb
Yes, on SNES. It was bloody impossible.

The almost same can I tell you about the around the world game. Especially the African and Asian were very difficult to get it. :sigh:
Screen Shot 2016-10-16 at 12.05.29.png

Slippery trip hazard took me sooooo long, but I got there.
Cod4 on veteran difficulty :angry:
Update:

Screen Shot 2016-10-17 at 16.13.24.png

Getting pretty close to 100%, now! Never thought I'd see the day.

(Into the lion's nest is such a *****.)
Screen Shot 2016-10-17 at 22.32.32.png

It is done.
Getting platinum on all the pikmin 3 mission mode levels including the dlc ones. Took months xD

Quick Reply

Latest