The Student Room Group

revising the night before an exam?

yeah or nah?
Reply 1
For me, learning new material the night before isn't a good idea. I just do a couple of past papers and that's it really.
I would personally say 'no'. Maybe a brief glance over key points, but no to any serious revision. It should all be done by then. I think it's more productive to do something physical in the day like games - for me this always promotes a good night's sleep which is far more important than trying to cram at the last minute. Everyone's different, though.
Reply 3
I think you definitely need to revise the night before. After, of course, revising the days before that haha. I think it's great for getting those points stuck in your head before you go to sleep so you can wake up ready. However, I don't recommend staying up all night revising because you need your sleep.

I always use the night before to make an A4 sheet (folded into a little booklet) of all of the points for the exams that I find the hardest but making sure it is brief and concise. Then once I know these, I always feel really assured for the actual exam.

But the night before is definitely a no no for learning new content. Trying to do that stresses you out even more.
Original post by djordje2000
yeah or nah?

I did it for a few 2 of my exams at A level, I wouldn't recommend it, I didn't fail, but I could have done much better if I revised more, I think starting 3 weeks before the exam is good enough.
Reply 5
Original post by NotNotBatman
I did it for a few 2 of my exams at A level, I wouldn't recommend it, I didn't fail, but I could have done much better if I revised more, I think starting 3 weeks before the exam is good enough.

i already started revising about three weeks ago, its just now is the day before the exam and im not sure whether to reevise or not,
Original post by djordje2000
i already started revising about three weeks ago, its just now is the day before the exam and im not sure whether to reevise or not,

Ohh, definitely revise the night before.
GCSES- yeah. A levels- no.
Yeah, go for it! You can revise for a bit in the morning as well. Maybe while you eat breakfast or wake up earlier?
For my biology and chemistry a levels I went through all the past papers, looked and the mark schemes and just wrote in the model answers.

For my 2nd year uni exams I was still revising in the morning before a 9am exam.

Obviously only revising the night before isn't the best plan but you need to find what works for you. I'm definitely a crammer and it is stressful but has served me ok so far.
I would definitely revise the night before for only about 40-45 mins I would do it before you go to bed as you will remember more if you revise before bed.it works for me anyway.
I do this because otherwise I just forget what I've revised for example with physics I revised about 2 days ago and only really remember Specific Heat Capacity. But really it just depends on what type of person you are and how much you can remember.

Quick Reply

Latest