The Student Room Group

Is it normal to have six hours of lectures in one day without breaks?

Scroll to see replies

The most I have is 3 hours.- Lucky me I guess.
Whilst I sympathise there are plenty of people in the workplace including myself who do 10-12 hour shifts and only get a half hour break in the whole day. 6 hours with no break is something I do on a regular basis at work as I'm sure a lot of people do.

It is odd that you seem to be on one of the few courses that do this though, perhaps speak with your course lead about it? If you don't get anywhere in actually getting the lectures spread out more, bring food in with you and see if you can eat it during lectures?
Reply 22
Original post by jake4198
On Thursdays, I have six hours of lectures without breaks from 9am to 3pm. The only time we're able to get some fresh air, have some food and stretch our legs is during the five minute intermission between lectures. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, however I do wish my lectures were spread out a bit more throughout the week.

Is it normal to have lectures this clustered together?

Do any of you have a timetable similar to mine?

This should be illegal! How do they expect you to be concentrated after the third lecture? Everything would become a mess!

I do NOT think it is acceptable at any level to have lecture so close to each other without any breaks to grab a bite.
Original post by Klix88
On my course we had 8 hours of lectures back to back on one day. The working world will be like this. Better learn how to deal with it now.

Exactly, some days at work I worked 8 hours+ without a break. Now lectures don't bother me one bit, although I do have a very light timetable
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
With a lunch break, usually compulsory.

I've never worked anywhere (in over 20 years) where the lunch break genuinely existed: you just have something to eat at your desk.
Reply 25
Original post by DrSocSciences
I've never worked anywhere (in over 20 years) where the lunch break genuinely existed: you just have something to eat at your desk.

That's entirely your choice.

In the 30 years I have worked it is common to eat at your desk, but it is also absolutely fine if people want to go out to get something.

And good management is increasingly encouraging a proper break.
I had 9-6 every day with a 1 hour lunch break in the middle (sometimes). Get used to it :P
Reply 27
Original post by ViralRiver
1 hour lunch break

That's the difference.

Certainly in my job it's 45 minutes compulsory.
Original post by jneill
That's the difference.

You missed the bit in brackets. I had more than 1 day a week without a break.
Original post by jake4198
No there's no break, It's even more weird because it seems it's only maths students who have to put up with it. Everyone else's timetables are quite spread out. I suppose I'll have to put up with it.

I did Maths and the longest stretch we ever had without a break was 4 hours, that was bad enough!
will it be like this for an economics degree?
Reply 32
Original post by samantham999
will it be like this for an economics degree?

Every department has its own timetabling system, so there's no way of knowing.
Get over yourselves: working life once you've graduated will be much more arduous, at a minimum of 9am-5pm five days per week, and without 3-4 months of holidays.

I think that's a bit harsh.

I'm on my placement year at the moment and working a bit more than 9-5. Yes, it can be draining and the weekends feel too short but 9-5 with a ~45 minute lunch break feels much less intense (most of the time) than having a 9-6 with a 1 hour gap at 11. Uni lectures are very demanding and being in warm rooms where you can almost take a seat back is very tiring, and having to focus for such a long period of time. Working on the other hand, where you have hard deadlines to meet and things to occupy your time (and the luxury of being able to listen to music or something whilst working...) goes by quite quickly and on the day itself, you're unlikely to just fall asleep at your desk.

That is just my experience though, perhaps yours differs :h:

@OP a bit unforunate, maths can have lots of hours.. :hide: if I were you I'd think about maybe, maybe picking one or tw
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by jneill
That's entirely your choice.

Paying rent/mortgage/bills is rarely a choice. I was earning what I considered to be very good money but had been left paying a mortgage single-handed when my partner walked out. I couldn't have earned enough to pay that in any other (legal and moral!) way. I was stuck in the job until the mortgage was paid off. At that point, I exercised my choice and swapped careers - but it took seventeen years.

the 30 years I have worked it is common to eat at your desk, but it is also absolutely fine if people want to go out to get something.

Probably varies by industry. I spent 20+ years in the IT industry, the last ten as a Service Manager. Sadly, computers could rarely be persuaded to stop going wrong just because I wanted a lunch break. The working environment was very 1980s and stupidly macho - still is, from the accounts of colleagues who are stuck there (rent, mortgage etc.). "Lunch is for wimps!" was our manager's favourite encouragement.

I was expected at my desk at 7:15am (even if I'd been up most of the night on callouts) and if I left work before 6pm, there were catcalls of "Oo - early finish then?". 6-8 hours of lectures a day without a break, was a picnic in my next student world.

And good management is increasingly encouraging a proper break.

Never met one of them. They sound great.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 35
That's unfair. But if its only once in a week deal with it. And if u aren't the only one affected talk to the lecturers and request them to adjust a little. That timetable is harsh. And if there is no immediate solution also adjust yourself and deal with it. After all its not gonna be forever
I'm at a further education college studying A-levels. I don't have a break at all between classes between 9-3:30 on a Monday. I do however have frantic sprints between classes 😂

I also have friends who don't get breaks between 9-4:45 on Tuesdays and have to eat during class.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending