The Student Room Group

2nd driving test help!

Hey guys, I've got my driving test booked for the day after Halloween (don't want to say the date as I heard it's bad luck) it's my 2nd test and I'm *****ing a brick. My parents have just brought me a car so I really want to pass. Any tips?
Original post by Keelymarieex
Hey guys, I've got my driving test booked for the day after Halloween (don't want to say the date as I heard it's bad luck) it's my 2nd test and I'm *****ing a brick. My parents have just brought me a car so I really want to pass. Any tips?

If your parents have just bought you a car, it's simple: practice! Get out as much as possible driving around the area that you're going to be taking your test in, and see what it's like around the same time of day as your test too! Doing this will get you really really familiar with the lanes, turns, roundabouts etc, and all makes for less stress on the day! Obviously the practice will also help smash the techniques into your head so it's just more natural!

I went out with my dad every day for a bit before my test, and knew the area so so so well that when I was asked to go places in the test, I knew which lane I should be in etc...!

i feel you :cry2: my first test is coming up and i am nervous like hell... its at the beginning of the half term :afraid: i just dont know how to control the nerves but i think we should both just feel calm and just do whatever we can... ignore the examiner (easy to say) just concentrate :cute:
:goodluck: :h:
Reply 3
Just go over the top with the mirrors and take your time on everything. Easier said than done though 😔
Reply 4
Original post by mobbsy91
If your parents have just bought you a car, it's simple: practice! Get out as much as possible driving around the area that you're going to be taking your test in, and see what it's like around the same time of day as your test too! Doing this will get you really really familiar with the lanes, turns, roundabouts etc, and all makes for less stress on the day! Obviously the practice will also help smash the techniques into your head so it's just more natural!

I went out with my dad every day for a bit before my test, and knew the area so so so well that when I was asked to go places in the test, I knew which lane I should be in etc...!

How much was the insurance to drive on a provisional? :smile:
How much was the insurance to drive on a provisional? :smile:

Mine was about £850 I think for the year, but I passed a month after so had to pay a bit more on top of that for the rest of the year... obviously will depend on where you live, what car, etc... It will probably be a bit cheaper for you before you pass though, than after you pass!
Reply 6
Mine was about £850 I think for the year, but I passed a month after so had to pay a bit more on top of that for the rest of the year... obviously will depend on where you live, what car, etc... It will probably be a bit cheaper for you before you pass though, than after you pass!
just got a quote for a week £30! Really need to save money for my actual insurance and deposit so didn't want to spend loads on a learner insurance policy. £30 for 7 days is amazing though. Thanks!
just got a quote for a week £30! Really need to save money for my actual insurance and deposit so didn't want to spend loads on a learner insurance policy. £30 for 7 days is amazing though. Thanks!

Huh!? If you get insurance as a learner, and then pass, you just tell your insurer and they'll just charge you a bit more to cover the rest of the period...

Like, for me, when I got my car, I paid £850 for 12 months insurance, I passed a month later, and I paid another £200 which is the difference between £850 and 11 months (pro-rata) of insurance as a newly passed driver, so it's not like you lose anything...
Reply 8
Huh!? If you get insurance as a learner, and then pass, you just tell your insurer and they'll just charge you a bit more to cover the rest of the period...

Like, for me, when I got my car, I paid £850 for 12 months insurance, I passed a month later, and I paid another £200 which is the difference between £850 and 11 months (pro-rata) of insurance as a newly passed driver, so it's not like you lose anything...
I've been quoted £1,648 for 10 months. I googled insurance for a learner and the cheapest was £30 for 7 days, I'm as confused as you 😂
I've been quoted £1,648 for 10 months. I googled insurance for a learner and the cheapest was £30 for 7 days, I'm as confused as you 😂

Wow, haha! Was that on a comparison site???
Wow, haha! Was that on a comparison site???

Yeah it's so expensive :frown: £150 a month £250 excess fully comp
Yeah it's so expensive :frown: £150 a month £250 excess fully comp

Yeh! To be fair, not as bad as some quotes over £2000 that I've heard some have had :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending