The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Guys I have a dilemma. A while ago I did my Spanish speaking, but I wasn't feeling well so I don't sound that enthusiastic, and I don't know if I will lose marks for that because I didn't sound spontaneous or happy or anything.

My teacher also refuses to tell use what grades we get because apparently it's not allowed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Simonexoxo
Guys I have a dilemma. A while ago I did my Spanish speaking, but I wasn't feeling well so I don't sound that enthusiastic, and I don't know if I will lose marks for that because I didn't sound spontaneous or happy or anything.

My teacher also refuses to tell use what grades we get because apparently it's not allowed

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not necessarily true, just ask if it would be necessary to retake speaking to get "x" grade. That should give you, at least, some idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They should be allowed to tell what you got, I know what marks I got for all my spanish CAs. You do get marks on intonation but I doubt you will lose many marks for not sounding enthusiastic, as long as your pronunciation is good! Besides, you can always resit it
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey I know it's early but has anyone done mocks and got their results. I got an overall grade of a 6 in English. But did really bad in maths and got a 4. Really struggling for maths. Could someone tell me how they revise and what resources they use? I am doing Edexcel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by haseeb798
Hey I know it's early but has anyone done mocks and got their results. I got an overall grade of a 6 in English. But did really bad in maths and got a 4. Really struggling for maths. Could someone tell me how they revise and what resources they use? I am doing Edexcel.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I use GCSEPod, my maths, PiXL and my old books for maths revision, don't worry I'm slacking in maths too but I'm trying to get back on scratch

Posted from TSR Mobile
I use GCSEPod, my maths, PiXL and my old books for maths revision, don't worry I'm slacking in maths too but I'm trying to get back on track

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm Jan, hey!

GCSEs I'm taking:

-Maths
-English Lit
-English Lang
-Geography
-Spanish
-Drama
-Religious Education
-Triple Science

I kinda want to be a Forensic Psychiatrist and would love to go OxBridge route but I'm not certain yet. Lot's of options haha.

Our school did the PIXL tests last year and I did pretty well in both Maths (8i, 7i, 7s) and English (8) but the boundaries are going to get harder as we go through the year eck. I dunno how to feel about that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Our class looked at LOADSSS of past papers for Maths. As in basically all of them. We did it during class in semi-test conditions but we could whisper sorta with our partners. At the end we'd correct our work with another colour pen to show how to do the question correctly.

For revising, get a sheet of paper and, for every topic/ work, copy two or three example from your book. Copy down the diagrams and every single step on how to do the question. That way you can see how to do lots of equations without having to flick through a lot of books.

For English, I just learned how to blag basically, haha. You have to make sure that one quote can mean one BIG thing to have lots of detail or it could mean multiple things (e.g. Jewel being prcious but also just an object to look at instead of being a person). Hope this helps xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think for maths, its best to do loads of practice questions. Some websites I recommend for this are Keshmaths, onmaths, justmaths (need a login), maths madeeasy. P.s it looks like you need to login on these but you really don't. Onmaths is really good as it marks it for you right away and they do these demon papers which compile harder questions. Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StrawberryJan
I'm Jan, hey!

GCSEs I'm taking:

-Maths
-English Lit
-English Lang
-Geography
-Spanish
-Drama
-Religious Education
-Triple Science

I kinda want to be a Forensic Psychiatrist and would love to go OxBridge route but I'm not certain yet. Lot's of options haha.

Our school did the PIXL tests last year and I did pretty well in both Maths (8i, 7i, 7s) and English (8) but the boundaries are going to get harder as we go through the year eck. I dunno how to feel about that.

For my other mocks I did well as well, getting As and Bs with one A* and a C+ in Drama (which I'm okay with).

And hobbiesss hmm, I love reading and writing creyive stuff it's fun. I'm currently learning to play the ukulele, guitar and piano (mostly piano, though.)
Original post by JTran38
Hi, everybody. It's been roughly 5 weeks into Year 11 and how is everybody doing? Good or bad? Share with the rest of us below. Also has anyone been looking around for sixth forms and if not why not? Finally keep up the hard work, it will pay off come Summer 2017 when we open our brown envelopes. :biggrin:

JTran38

I've just been going through this thread, I'm glad I found this! It's gonna be super helpful!

It's going okay but I haven't started properly revising yet. We're doing our Chemsitry coursework which is actually not as hard as I thought it was going to be so that's good.

My sixth form choices atm is the school I'm currently at and the two schools literally next door. As in across the street. It's just easier and some subjects can be taken at the other two schools and such which is cool. How's everyone else?
I use GCSEPod, my maths, PiXL and my old books for maths revision, don't worry I'm slacking in maths too but I'm trying to get back on scratch

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply and recommended resources. I did the pixl paper's and achieved a 7. What did you get?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Our class looked at LOADSSS of past papers for Maths. As in basically all of them. We did it during class in semi-test conditions but we could whisper sorta with our partners. At the end we'd correct our work with another colour pen to show how to do the question correctly.

For revising, get a sheet of paper and, for every topic/ work, copy two or three example from your book. Copy down the diagrams and every single step on how to do the question. That way you can see how to do lots of equations without having to flick through a lot of books.

For English, I just learned how to blag basically, haha. You have to make sure that one quote can mean one BIG thing to have lots of detail or it could mean multiple things (e.g. Jewel being prcious but also just an object to look at instead of being a person). Hope this helps xx

Thanks you have been very helpful. I need to start on doing maths revision as ypu have said. I am doing better at English than maths which is a big surprise and did get the english award last year.

Have you made any revision notes for maths and what board are you doing?

Im ganna do all the maths past papers mark them and grade them. We did one past paper last year and got an A. Thanks for the advice x

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks for the reply and recommended resources. I did the pixl paper's and achieved a 7. What did you get?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll tell you when I remember because I've done so many papers, it's hard to remember what I got. I think I got a 6 though because that's my average.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll tell you when I remember because I've done so many papers, it's hard to remember what I got. I think I got a 6 though because that's my average.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good. You still have time to improve your grade. Good luck to your future mocks and your gcse exams and your results.
I'm Jan, hey!

GCSEs I'm taking:

-Maths
-English Lit
-English Lang
-Geography
-Spanish
-Drama
-Religious Education
-Triple Science

How do you mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haseb just do questions and learn the methods so in the cgp guides the questions that you cant do ask your teacher or use youtube
Thanks you have been very helpful. I need to start on doing maths revision as ypu have said. I am doing better at English than maths which is a big surprise and did get the english award last year.

Have you made any revision notes for maths and what board are you doing?

Im ganna do all the maths past papers mark them and grade them. We did one past paper last year and got an A. Thanks for the advice x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a few maths revision notes from last year when we did the mocks but I haven't made any new ones. I think we're doing Edexcel or Aqa I can't actually remember haha.
Original post by _gcx
How do you mean?

My english teacher said that, as we go through the year, they're gonna raise the boundaries up and up as we get "better" at doing these types of tests. Like they'll keep looking at the mock tests we do and see how many people perform super well and fit the boundary to that. I don't know if that's actually what's happening as my school (and most places) are a little clueless on what's happening
I'm still baffed about what PiXL papers are and why they are necessary. Seems like a waste of money to me.

Latest