The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Korean Studies 2017

Hey I was wondering if anyone on here is planning to apply for Korean studies starting in Sept 2017? I already applied last year but didn't reach the grade requirements so I'm retaking and reapplying this year.

Scroll to see replies

Yeah I'm applying for Korean Studies starting in 2017, I'm writing my personal statement now, do you have any tips or specific things you included to get an offer. I'm super nervous about not getting an offer as I've not done any languages before even though I've started trying to teach myself Korean, as you know they say no language qualifications are required but i'm still worried. Any help would be very much appreciated ^^
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Ahh sorry for the late reply :/ But it should be fine that you haven't taken a language before as I don't think they care about it. I only did a gcse in French and I think some people who applied at the same time as me last year didn't take a language and still got in. As for the personal statement umm I'm not sure how to help. I wrote how I became interested in Korean studies and then specific things I'm interested in. And then a paragraph about my a levels and things I've done in the past. Also I saw your other post about you thinking you don't have relevant experiences and qualifications and tbh I don't either really (I take chemistry, maths and biology a levels) but you can just find ways to link them into the course. I hope you the best with your personal statement! :smile:
To anyone applying for Korean Studies at Sheffield 2017 I'm also doing the course. I started this year but for personal reasons I'm taking a leave of absence and returning next September but I'm already a fully registered students and even started classes. If anyone has any questions please ask me and/or feel free to contact me via Kakao Talk. My ID is bellalalaxo
Reply 4
I'm planning to do Korean studies in university in 2017 and ideally want to study it in Sheffield. I'm quite nervous about doing it too as it wasn't what i thought i would do and a new language is daunting but I'm very passionate about the language and its culture and music. Can you inform me on how the subject is and how the exams are set out?. Also want to know how you find the subject ? do you find it too difficult ?. I legit just decided to do Korean studies as im doing business triple now but i know i don't want to continue it in uni as its so boring and i don't enjoy it.
Original post by LJJ_
I'm planning to do Korean studies in university in 2017 and ideally want to study it in Sheffield. I'm quite nervous about doing it too as it wasn't what i thought i would do and a new language is daunting but I'm very passionate about the language and its culture and music. Can you inform me on how the subject is and how the exams are set out?. Also want to know how you find the subject ? do you find it too difficult ?. I legit just decided to do Korean studies as im doing business triple now but i know i don't want to continue it in uni as its so boring and i don't enjoy it.

Hi! I was only at the university a few weeks but as I know you have exams at the end of the terms and they're your speaking/listening exams etc. You also have exams for your modules which will take up 60 credits if you're doing single honours Korean. However, you choose these yourself so you could choose ones that are purely coursework based.

The difficulty depends on yourself, your learning style and how much you study. They teach you from scratch but it is a very intense course and very demanding so a lot do fail and change course after a year or so. If you still have an interest in business there is a Korean with Business Management course that is 50/50 Korean Language and Business but you miss out on optional cultural modules about East Asia.
Reply 6
ive checked the business management and Korean studies course but i needed a B in maths and i only have a C in maths GCSE. That sucked. Because im not 100% sure what i want to do people always ask me "what do you enjoy" and in the back of my mind it always answers Korean culture, history and music . I think it would be such a change for me to pick it as a subject and yeah your right i guess it does depend on my self and my learning style. ( had to make a new account on here because my other one was acting up but its the same person :smile:)
Hi again! You'll have 20 unrestricted modules (so you can choose from anywhere in the uni) so you can pick something else up. I'd say it's still worth applying to the Business one if that's what you want as you get 5 choices anyway and you'll still get an offer for Korean Studies. Are you doing A Levels or BTEC? Last year nearly everyone who did BTEC got in but it was people with A Levels who missed the grades :frown:
Reply 8
I called Sheffield Uni asking if B in Maths is a necessity for the course and they genuinely said yes unless you have 2 B's in a science subject which i don't have either looooool. the website only gave 4 options to add to Korean studies i.e management and music etc so is there more options then the website shows?. The more the days go on the more im pretty certain i want to do Korean Studies as a subject in Uni. I've started my Personal Statement and based it on that but haven't handed it in yet to make sure my heart is set on it. I want to attend the open day at Sheffield but its so far away but im going to try my best to go .
Original post by LJJJ_
I called Sheffield Uni asking if B in Maths is a necessity for the course and they genuinely said yes unless you have 2 B's in a science subject which i don't have either looooool. the website only gave 4 options to add to Korean studies i.e management and music etc so is there more options then the website shows?. The more the days go on the more im pretty certain i want to do Korean Studies as a subject in Uni. I've started my Personal Statement and based it on that but haven't handed it in yet to make sure my heart is set on it. I want to attend the open day at Sheffield but its so far away but im going to try my best to go .

If you have any questions let me know. It's a good idea to make sure you're 100% set on it because it's such a demanding course and people usually drop out because they didn't realise

Hahah I feel like everyone's Mum even though i'll be in the same classes as you guys
At Sheffield there's the 4 Korean subjects (business, japanese, music and full Korean) but there is also Korean courses at uclan and soas which you could look into. I'm applying for Korean studies and East Asian studies as Sheffield this year as well as Korean at uclan. I'm not applying for soas though because they ask for AAB. There are also some other East Asian courses at other universities but I don't think there is many that involve Korean but they might be worth looking into if you have an interest in other East Asian countries :smile:
Original post by Tanishalaura
At Sheffield there's the 4 Korean subjects (business, japanese, music and full Korean) but there is also Korean courses at uclan and soas which you could look into. I'm applying for Korean studies and East Asian studies as Sheffield this year as well as Korean at uclan. I'm not applying for soas though because they ask for AAB. There are also some other East Asian courses at other universities but I don't think there is many that involve Korean but they might be worth looking into if you have an interest in other East Asian countries :smile:

Yes to all this^^ also i think leeds may let you do Korean modules but not a degree in Korean
Reply 12
Original post by Tanishalaura
Hey I was wondering if anyone on here is planning to apply for Korean studies starting in Sept 2017? I already applied last year but didn't reach the grade requirements so I'm retaking and reapplying this year.

I'm applying for Korean studies starting in Sept 2017! I was so surprised to find so many threads about this course!! I'm seriously hoping I get the grades to get into Sheffield as it's definitely my first choice :smile:
Original post by Lorren_
I'm applying for Korean studies starting in Sept 2017! I was so surprised to find so many threads about this course!! I'm seriously hoping I get the grades to get into Sheffield as it's definitely my first choice :smile:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/178596732596683/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1764167667179657/

Hey, we have two University of Sheffield applicants groups, one general uni one and the other specifically for SEAS, both of which have group chats going if you'd like to join :smile:
Im applying for Korean and business management, and Korean studies at sheffield for 2017 entry!
The dual honours is what i want to get onto most, as I enjoy my A-level business classes too
This is something ive wanted to do for over 3 years so im mega excited!
I sent my UCAS to my college this week and it should be sent to UCAS properly by monday, now its time to wait!
Original post by beckieyh
Im applying for Korean and business management, and Korean studies at sheffield for 2017 entry!
The dual honours is what i want to get onto most, as I enjoy my A-level business classes too
This is something ive wanted to do for over 3 years so im mega excited!
I sent my UCAS to my college this week and it should be sent to UCAS properly by monday, now its time to wait!

Hey, if you follow the links in my previous post on this thread, you can join a couple of Uni of Sheffield freshers groups, one of them being a SEAS (School of East Asian Studies) specific one 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got 2 questions....Is there a way to learn korean on the side? I mean I havent applied for Korean studies but instead mechatronic and robotic engineering but I still want to learn it, Im self teaching myself atm. Anddd whats the korean society like? Like what do you do, who do you meet? Cause Im defo joining that society :^)
Reply 17
In terms of learning Korean on the side I would definitely recommend the Talk To Me in Korean website, their lessons are free and you can buy work books to go along side them. I'm not sure if you could learn Korean at uni as well as your course but I guess you could learn a fair bit from the Korean Society.

In response to the questions about the Korean society, I'm not sure myself as I've applied to go to Sheffield starting September 2017 so I guess if you join the society we'll both find out at the same time because I'll be joining it as well!
Sorry I couldn't be of much help!
Reply 18
I applied for 2017 and just got an offer back! so excited ^-^
Original post by ccm_
I applied for 2017 and just got an offer back! so excited ^-^

Want to join our group chat? PM me with a link to your FB profile and I can add you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest